PDA

View Full Version : How many single stage frames?

BullGoose
11-22-2015, 12:42 AM
As I was looking at the new Hornady Iron press, I got to wondering again ... how many single stage press frame styles are there?

I myself lump the O frame and off-set O frame presses, ie the Rockchucker and the CH4D Champion into the same group, right or wrong. C frames are pretty self explanatory, as is the double C, as in the Herter's M81 and its clones. Reinforced C frames are still C frame press to my mind, although the advantage has to be noted. The new Hornady press is certainly a D frame press as was the Bonanza 68 of years ago and the Savage press before that. H frame presses run the gamut from the beautiful Dunbar press to the four station CH4D and unique Ponsness-Warren Metallic II. Column presses include the Hollywood and the RCBS Summit. Pillar presses include the Lee Turret and RCBS Ammo Master2. But what of those that straddle the lines?

Is the Redding Ultra-Mag a C frame? A super-C? Is the Bonanza/Forster Co-Ax an H frame press or a pillar press? Are turret presses C frames? Is the Herter's U frame press in a class by itself? How many more frame styles would you include that I am missing?

r1kk1
11-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Is the Redding Ultra-Mag a C frame? A super-C?

There is a handloading book put out by Redding. They classify it as a C press. I call it a hybrid. Funny thing is, I own about every press you mentioned. CH4D Champion, Ultramag, COAX and Summit. I WILL add the Hornady Iron press to my bench. I'm excited about the features it has.
I hope fit and finish is spot on as another iron press maker left that to be desired so I didn't buy it.

Take care

r1kk1

seagiant
11-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Hi,
Hmmmm....Having the CH Champion press (steel)....I'm not really excited by the Hornady cast iron????

r1kk1
11-25-2015, 10:38 AM
I know seagiant. I'm very proud of mine. I have 2 reasons to want one. 1st it resembles the Bonanza. It is just about as heavy as my Champion and Ultramag. Every time I look at that press it screams "APEX" to me, I just don't know why. Most of the year I live and work from an RV. I just went home and fired up the 550 to do several thousands of rounds we were running low on. Just no room for the 550. I take two weeks off every three months and really miss that press. Granted, it's not the 300 but I love it. 2nd, I really like the top plate to handle case prep tools and die sets not to mention the automatic priming system. I would not have to keep the RCBS Bench Priming tool mounted to a Pat Marlin Rock Dock. One less thing to bring along. I really like the LNL bushing arrangement. I have that setup in the Summit and Ultramag. My wife and I hunt a lot so we have some very large revolvers and numerous Encore barrels I case form cartridges for. The Summit has worked so far.

I wish Lyman released an Orange Crusher III that is bigger, badder and the same for RCBS. I miss the A2 and Big Max. I love that beautiful Bair of yours, the original blue press! When I'm home, I reach for the Champion for tough forming tasks. It is by far the most ergonomically designed press I have used. Sure the Ultramag can do it, but it doesn't have the feel of the Champion. With the forged, huge ram, I don't think we will see another press like it. I'm glad I have mine. It is the best bargain for an all cast steel press on the market with a hardened ram. Wait a minute, it's the only still in production press made. Period.

Take care

r1kk1

EDG
11-25-2015, 01:50 PM
The Redding Ultra Mag has a C frame that is not stressed by the sizing forces.

It is a unique design because the load runs through the links to the top of the frame.
With the upward force of the ram and the downward force from the links all that is stressed is the top cross bar of the casting.
The rest of the frame does not have to do anything except keep the ram aligned. It looks nice and heavy but it does not need all that mass.

I think there will be more presses that use this design in the future.

mdi
11-25-2015, 01:56 PM
So, does any one have a definitive answer as to how many single stage frame styles are/were made? With perhaps an explanation/definition? ;-)