PDA

View Full Version : From range scrap to first ingot casting

666damosydney
11-22-2015, 12:22 AM
I dug out a few shooting positions at my club the other week and got a couple buckets of range scrap most shooters at my club shoot coated bolits so i thought good start to try and cast with it then go from there.
Well i think i did ok i used pure parifin wax to reduce/flux get all the junk out about 5 times to make sure was clean as i could get it ended up with 79 pound of clean ingots free from the range.
Some ingots real shinny some only a little but once cooled seemed fairly hard dont have a tester or lead pencils.
If any one can see issues with the ingots please jump in any help would be great.

mongoose33
11-22-2015, 01:07 AM
Nice stash!

Try denting the ingots with your thumbnail--if you can do that you're probably between 10 and 15 bhn. Range scrap is usually pretty soft though if there's a lot of coated bullets it might be pretty decent.

666damosydney
11-22-2015, 01:41 AM
Nice stash!

Try denting the ingots with your thumbnail--if you can do that you're probably between 10 and 15 bhn. Range scrap is usually pretty soft though if there's a lot of coated bullets it might be pretty decent.

i banged it against hard point of metal barley made a mark so i think its ok

lightman
11-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Thats a good days work. Lots of guys post pictures of their smelting operation. We like pictures! Nice pictures of your pile, by the way!

Seeker
11-22-2015, 09:37 AM
You did a fine job. They look great!

bedbugbilly
11-22-2015, 09:58 AM
The only "issue" with them that I see is that they are at your house and not mine! LOL It looks like you had a very productive day - I think they look great!

mongoose33
11-22-2015, 10:09 AM
i banged it against hard point of metal barley made a mark so i think its ok

I'm sure it's OK--it's just a question of what composition you have. Metal will dent linotype so your mark isn't all that indicative of what's in it.

I was working on both linotype and lyman #2 bullets last night--can't scratch the linotype w/ my thumbnail at all, but I can with the #2.