PDA

View Full Version : 475 Linebaugh out of a Ruger #1 rifle...molds?

Alan in GA
11-21-2015, 06:16 PM
Looks like LEE offers a 325 with GC and a 400 flat base, both dual cavity molds for cheap. Anyone casting 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger?
I have a #1 Ruger so 22" of barrel travel to consider. I would also like to paper patch but that's another topic and bullet diameter I guess.

Suggestions?..experience?.....

dubber123
11-21-2015, 06:27 PM
The LEE 400 has shot extremely well for me from my F/A, but it doesn't have a whole lot of lube capacity. I'm not sure how well it would do at max speeds from a rifle. It's a cheap mold to try, and it may surprise you though. I have an LBT 440 WFN GC mold that would be a good thumper from your rifle, but I haven't shot it past 1,350 fps.

Alan in GA
11-21-2015, 08:49 PM
I guess I also need to slug this bore for diameter. Also wondering gas check or flat base.

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2015, 08:24 AM
if your looking for inexpensive molds the lee 400 and the rcbs 400 swc are both great bullets for the 475. If your going to stand on them in a rifle id cast them at at least 16bhn and probably harder. As to what is going to be accurate ill say this. My buddy has one and hes shot a lot of different bullets and says his is a shooter with about anything he puts in it. Even pop gun trail boss loads.

birddog
11-22-2015, 08:41 AM
Shoot me your address on my private message and I'll send you some 355gr/gc, 400 gr lee and 385gr Keith style lee.
Charlie

chuckbuster
11-22-2015, 09:19 AM
Shoot me your address on my private message and I'll send you some 355gr/gc, 400 gr lee and 385gr Keith style lee.
Charlie

I can do the same with some out of the 477-640 MiHec GB mold if you're interested, All 4 of my wheel guns like them
Kevin

Alan in GA
11-22-2015, 09:25 AM
Thank you for the offer of a few test boolits!
PM with info sent!
Years ago I really enjoyed casting 250 Keith SWCs out of my RCBS dual cavity mold for my small collection of Ruger Super Blackhawks and RedHawks. I toyed with getting the 180 gr .430" wadcutter mold to save lead and still enjoy plinking (never did), but at the time (1970's) I was able to shoot either in my backyard or drive a few miles and shoot in an unsettled area with a power line right of way cutting through miles of wooded land. I could see and shoot farther than most would want to. Sending 44 Mag 250 Keith SWCs out to light colored rocks 100 to several hundred yards away was some of the most fun I had with the SBH pistols. I aimed dead on, watched for how low the bullet impact was, then 'held over that much' for subsequent shots. The 250KEith was perfect for that so I never did buy the 180 wadcutter (I think known as 'collar buttons?).

All THAT to say that I would LIKE to find ONE 'best' cast boolit for this Ruger #1S 475LB and start filling up the boolit box! Decisions? - gas check or 'no'; and heavy (400+) or light, 325ish?
Thanks!

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2015, 04:21 PM
they are a very cool little rifle

birddog
11-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Alan,
I have some lee keith style, NEI 350gr, Lee 400gr, and Mihec 477-640 both solids and HP's coming your way. Left Iowa today, let me know when they arrive.
Charlie

Alan in GA
11-30-2015, 11:43 PM
Alan,
I have some lee keith style, NEI 350gr, Lee 400gr, and Mihec 477-640 both solids and HP's coming your way. Left Iowa today, let me know when they arrive.
Charlie

Maybe I can post a picture here - of bird dog's Priority box that arrived today: came in a plastic bag that says 'we care' on it. Box is opened at serrated seam with tape cleanly ripped or cut and box stamped 'unsealed' 'without contents' and in damaged condition'. I don't see how several samples of lead bullets can 'get gone' and just a stamped appology is supposed to suffice? Seems fishy to me.
Anyway thank you for your kind gesture bird dog. I was looking forward to your gift but someone with the USPS must have wanted them more than I did!

Doggonekid
12-01-2015, 11:51 PM
I have the Lee 2-cavity bullet mold 476-400 RF. The mold seemed to cast OK but I wanted a GC mold. I contacted LBT for a similar mold but with the GC. I love this mold. If I had a #1 I probably would want to GC my boolits. If I could sell one of my kids for enough money I would like to buy that rifle too. I have had 5 #1's they are a great rifle. Check out Lead Bullets Technology, you got a nice gun get nice molds to go along with it.

Lloyd Smale
12-02-2015, 08:57 AM
but it had to make you feel better that they cared!:veryconfu
Maybe I can post a picture here - of bird dog's Priority box that arrived today: came in a plastic bag that says 'we care' on it. Box is opened at serrated seam with tape cleanly ripped or cut and box stamped 'unsealed' 'without contents' and in damaged condition'. I don't see how several samples of lead bullets can 'get gone' and just a stamped appology is supposed to suffice? Seems fishy to me.
Anyway thank you for your kind gesture bird dog. I was looking forward to your gift but someone with the USPS must have wanted them more than I did!

44man
12-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Long, long ago I got an empty box from Herter's. I went to the main PO in Cle and they found them for me. Half jackets and GC's. They stored all stuff from broken boxes at the time.

Mica_Hiebert
12-02-2015, 02:56 PM
My SRH likes the 400 grain lee plain base but leads the last inch of barrel I have chocked up to the shallow lube grooves I will be powder coating this bullet to see if I can fix that, I got a used lee 6 cavity that is not in production any more or was a special run that cast a wfn bullet with a large lube groove and gas checked bullets come out right at 385 grains that prety much retired my other mould due to the leading issue. I have not shot my number 1 yet so I dont have any information for you there but I would not recomend the 400 grain plain base in a rifle unless you plan on powder coating it due to the lack of lube.