PDA

View Full Version : Thieves and liars and bums..................oh my!

bangerjim
11-21-2015, 03:17 PM
Went to a gun show today and saw several piles of 500 count 22LR Remington 22LR's for $55-60/box!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was in Walmart yesterday to get cat litter and just happened by the ammo case (so I tell the wife)and 4 of those EXACT SAME boxes of 500 22LR's followed the wife and me home.................for only $22 each. I guess all the fairy tales of WalMart actually getting them in IS in fact true!

When will all this theft and corruption ever stop with these silly little bullets?

bangerjim

Preacher Jim
11-21-2015, 03:23 PM
When fools quit buying from thieves, you don't buy anything from their table and soon they drop price or quit coming to shows

ffries61
11-21-2015, 03:24 PM
That's easy, when people quit paying those prices.

M-Tecs
11-21-2015, 03:33 PM
I don't like scalpers any more than you but it's not theft or corruption. If I don't like the price I won't buy it.

Maven
11-21-2015, 03:37 PM
Slightly off topic: I don't buy many things from Walmart, but I was there last Saturday and noticed Tula FMJ 7.62 x 39mm for exactly half the price Gander Mountain was selling it for. Ironically the two stores are less than a half mile from each other.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Last week, I was in Dunham's sporting goods for the first time...I don't know where else they have stores, but anyway, they had many boxes of Remington thunderbolts for $28 for a box of 500. I will not shoot thunderbolts, but it was nice to see them on the shelf. They also had Fed gold metal 22lr boxes of 50 stacked, but were mixed, ...some "target", some "Match", some "Ultramatch" Yes all the boxes have the same design, but different part numbers and name in small print. All priced at the "Ultramatch" price, I tried to tell the young clerk of the error, they thought I was just an old coot.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-21-2015, 04:32 PM
.22 L.R.s are slowly coming back to our Bi-Mart chain in Oregon. Lately I've been able to buy 100 rd. boxes of CCI for $6.99, so that would be (rounded off to $7.00 per 100) X 5= $35 for 500. But, presently they'll only sell you one 100 rd. box at a time. Everything else is now abundantly in stock, so much so that the centerfire ammo they used to keep exclusively behind the counter is now stacked out on the ends of the aisles--help yourself to 9mm, .38, .45, .223, etc.

bangerjim
11-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Yes. Other ammo is becoming abundant everywhere......for those that want to waste money on comm-loaded ammo. We here know better! I, like many others, light load everything from 223's to 30's to 38's to 44's & 45's MUCH cheaper than most 22LR's go for. Fun shootin'.

All those rediculous priced boxes of 22LR's at the show and at several LGS's are still there!

Mabe someday?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

banger

Mk42gunner
11-21-2015, 05:29 PM
I don't shoot much .22 anymore, much cheaper to load PB plinkers in my center fire guns.

With that said, I was told last week by the kid working in sporting goods at the local Walmart that they usually get some .22's in on Saturdays; but there is always a line of people waiting for it. One of these days maybe I'll get to town early enough to actually see some new .22's at non-scalping prices.

Robert

Mitch
11-22-2015, 12:31 PM
I see the same thing at the LGS and gun shows here to.Wallmart has a sign up temporarily out of stock back in stock soon.As for other stores I just don't see any at all.I keep hearing 22lr is coming back I just do not see it in my area or I am just not at the right place at the right time.

As for loading the cf stuff cheeper maybe or maybe not primers and powder are not on the shelf often either and then not a a decent price.

I am doing my best not to buy anything gun related at the high prices.It is the only way to fight back.Lets just hope most of those $60 bricks set there for along while and the thieves get hung with them

Bob

rbuck351
11-23-2015, 08:31 AM
At the gun shows I've been to lately, there are always some tables with $50/$60 bricks of thunderbolt and other cheap junk but they haven't been moving much if any. 22 ammo has been showing up here and there at the box stores for 6/10 cents per round. Sometimes it stays on the shelf for a few days so I think the scalpers are about done.

Tackleberry41
11-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Im not sure who is actually buying any of the overpriced 22. I see it piled up at vendors at gunshows, but don't see anybody actually picking it up and buying it. I think alot of them are simply sitting on it waiting to get that full price. Seems a bit dumb, as they have to then put it back in a vehicle and haul it somewhere else, try to sell it again. So they can make $0 at that huge mark up, or can make less profit but actually move it at a reasonable price.

I can walk into my LGS right now and buy a selection of 22 at regular prices. I guess everybody around here is full or broke as it doesn't move very fast. While the local wal mart sells out soon as it comes in. I guess the same few hoarders and gougers clean them out.

shooter2
11-23-2015, 12:47 PM
I live near Bentonville, AR Home base for Walmart. I am often in the store and they NEVER have any .22 ammo. ***!

RogerDat
11-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Im not sure who is actually buying any of the overpriced 22. I see it piled up at vendors at gunshows, but don't see anybody actually picking it up and buying it. I think alot of them are simply sitting on it waiting to get that full price. Seems a bit dumb, as they have to then put it back in a vehicle and haul it somewhere else, try to sell it again. So they can make $0 at that huge mark up, or can make less profit but actually move it at a reasonable price.

I can walk into my LGS right now and buy a selection of 22 at regular prices. I guess everybody around here is full or broke as it doesn't move very fast. While the local wal mart sells out soon as it comes in. I guess the same few hoarders and gougers clean them out.

Local gun show this last weekend, saw much less .22 LR for sale, prices down a bit too. One fellow had 500 round boxes for $43 as compared to a couple of months ago when same show had 333 round boxes for $57 at more than one vendor. Saw some boxes of 50 at under $3, awhile ago those would have been over $5. Prices are clearly coming down. Still not seeing it in local big box stores, local Wal-Mart have seen 3 boxes in stock one time in the last 6 months and I check most times I'm there just to see. Clearly getting snatched up fairly quick.

As for the scalpers saw a vendor that in the past has had 22's covering 10 foot of table, with huge variety of package sizes and brands (collected from many places) at sky high prices now has about 5 foot of table with a painted wood sign behind it saying "Make Reasonable Offer". He is clearly sitting on a lot of .22 inventory that no one will purchase. I was tempted to offer him the $25 Wal-Mart would have charged for one of those bulk boxes and see if he would take it. But I was tapped out from purchases of powder, primer, and brass already made so would not have been able to complete the deal if he met my price.

As long as an item will sell at the high price most folks won't lower the price. Sometimes a body just bites the bullet and pays the high price because they don't want to do without, other times they are willing to walk away. Until almost everyone walks away prices won't drop. Cabela's has powder but they are also the most expensive, generally $5 - $7 more a pound online. I just won't buy from them at that price, and will wait. This of course means when I buy a few 8# jugs to cover my main uses they won't get my business either. But as long as they can sell a $22 jug of powder for $30 at a steady rate, the better return on investment they get from those customers will keep them charging the higher price.

rockrat
11-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Our wal-mart has not had any 22's this year. Been on other wal-marts and picked up some. Here, they say they get in what corporate sends them and they don't send any 22's. Doesn't the store manager have a say in what gets shipped?

shaune509
11-23-2015, 02:44 PM
This summer picked up 3 bricks of Thunderbolts[2 trips one with wife] for under .06 with tax at Sportsmans warehouse in Spokane, other stores have some small boxes or Armscor at .09+tax. Wally World has never had any when I check, even the local sports store has had very little and they are the only stocker of black powder in town.
Shaune509

williamwaco
11-23-2015, 02:55 PM
I have Walmart, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, and Cabelas.

I have not seen a single .22 RF in any of several Walmarts in three years
In the others, I have not seen an empty shelf since last summer.

At my local gun show last week every other table had abundant stacks. They were asking 15 to 25 cents per round. The only reason they are getting it is because the public doesn't realize the shortage is over.

xacex
11-23-2015, 06:13 PM
There were 1000 round boxes of Winchester m-22 at my local walmart today for 50$. Left it for the people who did not stock up on .22 lr when they were 12.95$ a brick. Still using up that stuff even after the several boxes I have given away to friends and family these few years. I figure things will have stabilized about the time I need to stock up on it again. Unfortunately for me I may not get the 12.95$ bimart specials again.

lefty o
11-23-2015, 08:23 PM
if it wasnt for ther paranoid hoarders, this would have been done and over with already!

John Boy
11-23-2015, 09:12 PM
I, like many others, light load everything from 223's to 30's to 38's to 44's & 45's MUCH cheaper than most 22LR's go for. Fun shootin'. I UN-like many others, reload 22LR's with black powder. Less than 15 minutes for a box of 50 at cost of $2.70 excluding dies. Is $0.054 per round. Most expensive cost is Swiss Null-B at $22 per lb

flyer1
11-23-2015, 10:42 PM
I UN-like many others, reload 22LR's with black powder. Less than 15 minutes for a box of 50 at cost of $2.70 excluding dies. Is $0.054 per round. Most expensive cost is Swiss Null-B at $22 per lb

Could you expand on how you do the reloading of the 22lr?

bullet maker 57
11-23-2015, 11:17 PM
I would like to know also.

Artful
11-24-2015, 02:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW0QSX4NcU0

flyer1
11-24-2015, 10:46 AM
John Boy, is that how you reload 22s? Like in the video above?

RogerDat
11-24-2015, 11:41 AM
putting little itty bitty .223 55 gr. projectiles into bottle neck cartridges is enough of a PITA for me that I don't need to cut match heads etc. for a 50% failure rate. At that point I would totally switch to AIR powered which despite a weird recoil feel can be the equal to a 22 LR in most circumstances. Oh that and I have a bunch of .22 LR that I was just noticing the price stickers on worked out to less than 3 cents a round and that was on the small boxes, the bulk packs were cheaper than those.

freebullet
11-24-2015, 01:16 PM
I liquidated anything 22lr. I'm immune from the 22lr hysteria. If I can't easily cast & load it I don't want it. It still surprises me what lengths folks go for it.

I walked in to a lgs asked the lady behind the counter "what's new?" She says we just ran out of 22lr. I informed her that's ok with me, wouldn't buy it if they had it.

I can cast and load 1k 9mm for less than I've seen 500 pcs of 22lr go for this year. Pure sillyness.

dtknowles
11-24-2015, 01:36 PM
I liquidated anything 22lr. I'm immune from the 22lr hysteria..........I can cast and load 1k 9mm for less than I've seen 500 pcs of 22lr go for this year. Pure sillyness.

Probably only if you work for free. I shoot better scores with my .22 than I do with my 9mm. Me, I would rather spend my time shooting than casting and reloading. I cast and reload so I can shoot not shoot to create empties to reload. I was thinking about buying some cast bullets so cut down on the amount of time I have to spend casting. If I could buy ammo better than my reloads I would buy them and quit reloading.

Tim

John Boy
11-24-2015, 03:18 PM
John Boy, is that how you reload 22s? Like in the video above? The match head method - NO! Never in a 100 years!
This is my 1st Loading Interation which I have since modified:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132172-22LR-Black-Powder-Reloads-How-to-Make-Them&p=1450351&viewfull=1#post1450351

Current Method:
* Case mouth belled with Lee Universal Expander
* Win 209 primer tray - put 50 spaced cases in under Lyman #5 powder charger = 4.5gr Swiss Null-B powder only used
Powder Test for Accuracy ... (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?132172-22LR-Black-Powder-Reloads-How-to-Make-Them&p=1450351&viewfull=1#post1450351)http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?185091-Reloading-rimfire-cartridges&p=2082135&viewfull=1#post2082135
* Seat bullets in CH4D bullet seater
* Then factory hard crimp - bullet nose down in Lyman H&I Lube Sizer
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Black%20Powder/22LR%20BP/IMGP1453.jpg
* Package in inverted empty 22LR box with a scanned label of the old UMC Match Bullet
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Black%20Powder/22LR%20BP/e7b30360-3ba3-41f5-80b9-1bb9cf741094_zps6fb7eb51.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Meadowmucker/media/Black%20Powder/22LR%20BP/e7b30360-3ba3-41f5-80b9-1bb9cf741094_zps6fb7eb51.jpg.html) ...label misprint, bullets are 42gr. And for use in 22LR lever action, length adjusted to 0.980 COL

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Black%20Powder/22LR%20BP/IMGP1398.jpg ... 1030 fps average with 4.2gr Swiss Null-B shot with no patching or tubing in a 1884 JM Marlin Ballard - globed Swiss diopter front and vernier rear

There are 3 of us in the US that load these BP 22LR reloads: Baha Travler in CA - w44wcf in PA and me in NJ

Artful
11-25-2015, 12:12 PM
So John Boy I see in your other tutorial you use -

Cases: Empty Primed ArmsCor Cases purchased from the Hunting Shack
- no longer available

And have stated you don't prime your cases

The match head method - NO! Never in a 100 years!

So what would suggest for primed cases or repriming cases?

freebullet
11-25-2015, 04:53 PM
Probably only if you work for free. I shoot better scores with my .22 than I do with my 9mm. Me, I would rather spend my time shooting than casting and reloading. I cast and reload so I can shoot not shoot to create empties to reload. I was thinking about buying some cast bullets so cut down on the amount of time I have to spend casting. If I could buy ammo better than my reloads I would buy them and quit reloading.

Tim

Work? Casting, reloading, & shooting are my hobbies. I enjoy doing them all. I set up my system for doing it to be productive and as comfortable for myself as possible. Buy cast bullets, lol no not me. To each his own.
You can have custom loadings made to your spec from numerous small ammo makers. If you don't enjoy doing it you don't have to.
What I did not enjoy are the days of driving around to find the ammo needed to go shooting. Sitting in my house making it is most enjoyable to me.

dtknowles
11-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Work? Casting, reloading, & shooting are my hobbies. I enjoy doing them all. I set up my system for doing it to be productive and as comfortable for myself as possible. Buy cast bullets, lol no not me. To each his own.
You can have custom loadings made to your spec from numerous small ammo makers. If you don't enjoy doing it you don't have to.
What I did not enjoy are the days of driving around to find the ammo needed to go shooting. Sitting in my house making it is most enjoyable to me.

I know that some people enjoy reloading and that is good for them. I am happy to know that I can make my own ammo if I need to, including casting my own bullets. I still do it a lot but I am going to be shooting more factory ammo in the future and .22LR is still the least expensive. I can't imagine getting someone to reload for my bench rest rifles, I will still have to do that myself but I still do it in my shop not at the range.

I would much rather read a book than reload ammo. Reloading is a tedious repetitive task that needs a lot of attention to detail and avoidance of distraction, same with casting. I am proud I can do it and do it well but I don't consider it fun. The best thing about reloading and casting for me is the sense of accomplishment. I don't see how people who reload on a progressive press could call that fun. Setting one up to get it to run right and then pulling the handle a thousand times, fun? To each his own.

Tim

freebullet
11-25-2015, 06:41 PM
I know that some people enjoy reloading and that is good for them. I am happy to know that I can make my own ammo if I need to, including casting my own bullets. I still do it a lot but I am going to be shooting more factory ammo in the future and .22LR is still the least expensive. I can't imagine getting someone to reload for my bench rest rifles, I will still have to do that myself but I still do it in my shop not at the range.

I would much rather read a book than reload ammo. Reloading is a tedious repetitive task that needs a lot of attention to detail and avoidance of distraction, same with casting. I am proud I can do it and do it well but I don't consider it fun. The best thing about reloading and casting for me is the sense of accomplishment. I don't see how people who reload on a progressive press could call that fun. Setting one up to get it to run right and then pulling the handle a thousand times, fun? To each his own.

Tim

Exactly!

Sorry for the interruption, now back to the regularly scheduled complaining about 22lr availability & unscrupulous resellers thread. Good day.

Edward
11-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Simple file them in the trash ,reload any center fire and be happy that you are not in the line Sat day morning hoping you get lucky to pay too much for so little!!!

John Boy
11-25-2015, 08:36 PM
So what would suggest for primed cases or repriming cases? Only 3 options I believe:
* Pull heads off smokeless
* Match heads
* ArmsCor will sell you primed empty cases ... has to be a $50,000.00 order they told me

jonp
11-26-2015, 04:23 PM
I got this on 16 Nov from Ammoland on reloading 22lr. It's a good basic description of what is going on and how to do it. The local scrap yard has a giant bin as I posted in a different thread of brass with a ton of 22lr.

http://www.ammoland.com/2015/11/reload-22lr-ammo/?utm_source=Ammoland+Subscribers&utm_campaign=4010fd4bf1-Monthly_Newsletter_November_201511_16_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6f6fac3eaa-4010fd4bf1-7317573#axzz3sdBqqlOv