PDA

View Full Version : I made a screwdriver for the Mosin Nagant to fit under the scope eyepiece

Clark
11-21-2015, 01:46 AM
It is an extra stubby screwdriver.
I made a collage of pictures.
That way you only need one glance.
I painted it red, because red tape would have changed the 1/2" hex dimensions for wrenches.... it could have turned metric on me.
Why do I need a super stubby?
The Mosin Nagant action screw in the rear goes in from on top.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=7dfbe59be5&view=fimg&th=151288df9ac26117&attid=0.0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_151288caf2de00b7&attbid=ANGjdJ-TcQ6p59le5IfHuTgA2RHz92R14gO_ZgviNKvNbLT5GoJD6Ulko gFRvDsaTBUBYZ8LKJ5MUzJOAGoW50NJmj77AcRwxRK-9jn9aGEs6w14XhaJUNvJyDa6uDs&sz=w908-h736&ats=1448084654686&rm=151288df9ac26117&zw&atsh=1

Joe and his Mosin

Unlike Joseph Stalin [they named Country Joe and Fish after him], I don't want my scope that high. I want cheek weld, not mustache weld to the butt stock.

Mk42gunner
11-21-2015, 02:22 AM
Nice.

I've been using ¼" hex drive screwdriver bits and an old ignition wrench or Chapman ratchet for similar jobs.

Robert

leebuilder
11-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Nice work Clark. I have an assortment of hods and sods for similar jobs.
be well

kungfustyle
11-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Nice job. Gotta love the ingenuity on this sight.

nagantguy
11-21-2015, 09:12 AM
Very nice sometimes home made tools are the best or o ly water to accomplish what we want.

dragonrider
11-21-2015, 04:13 PM
Very nice work, now go to you local sears store and aquire ratcheting box end wrench of the appropriate size life will get even easier. Gearwrench would be one brand of wrench but there is a multitude of others.

funnyjim014
11-23-2015, 09:31 PM
I once had to change a fuel pressure sensor on a deramax ....made a wrench with 5 bends in it but saved be 3+hrs. Sometimes you just have to make the tool for the job

LAGS
11-25-2015, 08:05 PM
I have always just used a Craftsman or Snap On 90 degree screwdriver.
I have them in straight Blade and in Phillips heads.
The straight has one blade running with the handle, and the other running 90 degrees to the handle, so clearance or torqued angle does not matter.
They were standards in my tool box back when I was a mechanic.

mojomandan
11-27-2015, 02:30 PM
It is an extra stubby screwdriver.
I made a collage of pictures.
That way you only need one glance.
I painted it red, because red tape would have changed the 1/2" hex dimensions for wrenches.... it could have turned metric on me.
Why do I need a super stubby?
The Mosin Nagant action screw in the rear goes in from on top.

Joe and his Mosin

Unlike Joseph Stalin [they named Country Joe and Fish after him], I don't want my scope that high. I want cheek weld, not mustache weld to the butt stock.

Hi Clark,

How did you mount that scope? Every mount I am familiar with places the scope forward, requiring a long eye-relief scout scope.

Clark
11-27-2015, 02:45 PM
mojomandan,
I made a video about the many types of homemade Mosin scope mounts, but after making many, in the end, I just go with a modified ATI mount. It is fast, cheap, and effective.
This involves the low bolt handle weld, like sporterizing a Mauser bolt handle.
The third hole requires pulling the barrel, unless you are really good in blind holes. That is why ATI made it with just the two holes.
ATI stocks and bolt handles are terrible, so this scope mount is really amazing for how well it is designed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEyS9Q_u10I

LAGS
11-27-2015, 07:10 PM
With the ATI mount, I have found that if you can not drill a third screw to get it more secure, the next best option is to Glass Bad the mount to the receiver.
Drill and mount your scope base per the instructions.
Then remove the base from the receiver, and coat the top of the receiver with Johnson's Paste wax or other release agent.
Clean the bottom of the base with acetone, and then apply JB weld to the bottom of the base.
Mount the base back on the receiver, and let it Fully Cure overnight.
The next day, the mount will pop off and now is perfectly molded to the top of the receiver.
You can trim off any JB Weld that Spooged out where you dont want it to show.
The ATI base is made for both Round and Hex receivers.
Molding it to fit the type of receiver you have gives it more surface to help it stay tight.
The ATI Bolt Handle is for the most part Junk.
But it is a cheap simple way to convert your bolt handle, that can be done at home.
But, down the line, you can later have a bolt handle welded on to replace the ATI handle. or order a custom Bolt Body that already has a custom handle of your liking attached.