PDA

View Full Version : The Sneezer's comin' Achooo!

Digital Dan
11-20-2015, 07:54 PM
A rundown on the project is found in the following link. Bit pressed for time over the next few days and nights, will pick up on any questions in after the weekend.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/10716355/gonew/1/The_best_curve...#UNREAD

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Seems to me BadgerEdd did this looooong ago
and its called the 30 Badger

Digital Dan
11-21-2015, 05:22 PM
Is similar without question, but not the same geometry. It is also similar to the .30 Reece. Have seen much discussion on both cartridges, almost all directed at top end performance, which was of no interest to me.

rking22
11-22-2015, 05:13 PM
I went down a like path several years ago. I used 38 special brass and set it up to shoot a 140 PB at moderate velocity(1050 to 1400). Was my "big 22LR" effort. Watching your results with interest.

Jupiter7
11-22-2015, 07:22 PM
I'd be all over the 30badger or this if I didn't have a 300blk Handi rifle. My best results(and most quiet) have been with slightly bulky fast burners like 700x and red dot. With a 311-291 2.5grns get about 800fps, 4grs about 1050. With the Lee 312-155, with less bullet in the case, those numbers drop to 750fps and 1000fps. Sticking with 700x as it won't meter close enough with my powder droppers to use on turret press. I hand weight all charges with 700x.

Digital Dan
11-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Jupiter, I got no issues with the BLK, just didn't have a platform at hand. When I started mulling this over my imagination went down many different paths and it seemed the most economical and practical would be a new barrel for the Contender. Given that, and the purpose behind it, there was no reason not to open door #2 in a manner of speaking.

I have been working as a volunteer for the state since 2007 in a feral hog eradication program in the local area. Due to surrounding developments around the 1,600 acre preserve I was restricted to .22 RF to mitigate noise complaints. Their desires led to zero complaints in that time and a couple semi trucks full of dead pigs. Last November the state legalized the use of suppressed weapons for hunting and the state gave the nod to use of same in this program. With the passing of years my tree climbing ability and sprint speed has suffered somewhat, so an upgrade seemed reasonable. Fact of it is, just about anything is preferable to the .22 CB Short.

I found early on that the short would kill quickly with proper placement, if it penetrated. There are limitations in aspect and size of the animal when it comes to taking the shot. For example, the short HP does not penetrate nearly as well as the CB despite its velocity advantage. A CB will fully penetrate the neck and spine of a hog on a broadside shot up to a weight of about 125#. They will fully penetrate the skull on a frontal shot if the pig has his snout down and just as quickly ricochet if they are looking at you with their snout pointed at you. Behind the ear shots work well up to about the same size as the neck shot, but beyond that one needs a little more punch to get thru to home plate.

Anyway, after a rather lengthy review of the options and discarding the rest, I wound up staring at the .357 case. Having no interest whatsoever in multiple applications, I built the bullet first, then formulated everything around that with the express intent of achieving MOA precision at 100 yards. Having had a bit of experience with cat sneeze loads in a variety of cases I knew it was doable, but how well was the question. I opted for a long neck and usable case capacity that is very close to the same as the M1 Carbine case. Formed cases are 1.29" in length. The interior of the case from web to mouth is 1.13" as formed. Neck length from mouth to neck/shoulder junction is .475".

The bullet is a nose rider that weighs 183.5 grains, +/- .1 grain cast of 30:1 alloy and is 1.04" in length. It casts at .310" diameter. The grooves were initially designed as a shallow radiused V but Mr. Brooks was unable to accommodate that design. Compromise was made and we wound up with the form seen in the picture. It is sized to .309", lubed with diluted LLA and dusted with a mica/graphite mix which has proven viable in everything I've tried it in, up to about 2300 fps in a K-Hornet.

The dialog in the link continues, will update as things unfold.

Jupiter7
11-23-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks, that's good info! I sadly still want a rimmed 30 of easily available brass, just expense and work of the project has kept it as a want to date.

olafhardt
11-25-2015, 05:49 AM
I am wondering about an old Savage 32 20 bolt action and 30 caliber boolits.

Digital Dan
11-30-2015, 07:24 PM

Digital Dan
12-05-2015, 06:37 PM
So yesterday I spent a fair bit of time assembling loads for the next venture to the range. Went well, yadda, yadda...

Buddy calls up and asked if I wanted to drop by today and not make noise at his range amid the oaks and palmettos. Sure, why not.

I was not inclined to take the ammo just loaded, but did want to take a first run with the can just to get an idea what it sounded like. I kluged up 5 loads of 3 just for giggles with an old can of Dupont powder gifted by a friend several years ago. It had never been opened.

Long story short, Sneezer is the right name for the rig. Problem I have is that from all appearances it is going to be a very boring gun insofar as further load work.

First round, first group was a bit of a flyer opening the group to just a bit over 1-1/4". I let my buddy shoot the next group and he can't for the life of him shoot a group that doesn't have one flyer. Bug holes with an accent? I dunno.

What surprised me more than anything was the velocity jump I got with this powder, even with the small charges. Picked up 100-150 fps over the previous loads. The powder was one I'd never used or even seen in the past. Huge round flakes a bit smaller than a hockey puck...kind of amusing to me actually.

But I'll tell you this....800X rocks! It burns clean, makes for good numbers with light charges and all that other gak.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Sneezer/800X-3_zpsbn9jap3b.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Sneezer/800X-3_zpsbn9jap3b.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Sneezer/800X-5_zpsdvr96okl.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Sneezer/800X-5_zpsdvr96okl.jpg.html)

PS: I relaxed a little on the last group. Biggest spread of the five loads was the first...they kept getting smaller and smaller and...I'm not that good, but something is clicking here.