PDA

View Full Version : Winder musket

stubbicatt
11-20-2015, 07:43 AM
So I am a real addict (is there a better choice of words?) of the Winchester Single Shot rifle.

Yesterday I received a Winder musket from the good folks at Leroy Merz antiques. It is really very nice, the wood looks nearly perfect, and the bore shows very little shooting, bright and shiny.

I bought it 1) because I think it is cool, and 2) for the rimfire cowboy silhouette matches, shooting at steel critters out to 100 yards. Fortunately for me, you only have to knock the 40 meter chickens off their perches, a full bullet strike on any of the rest counts as a "hit."

The ammo I bought is standard velocity CCI and high velocity CCI. The standard is a 29 grain bullet (IIRC) at 720 fps per the packaging, and the high velocity is 1080 fps per the packaging. I reckon, counter intuitively, that I'll shoot the high velocity stuff at the chickens to be sure they go over, and the CB ammo at the rest of the critters.

My reasoning is that old Schuetzen rifle shooters, whose counsel I consider to be pure gold in the world of information currency, say that wind affects our cast bullets more severely between 800 fps and 1600 fps. Since those itty bitty ping pong balls being ejected from 22 short ammunition don't seem to be very streamlined, I can use the reduced wind drift at sub-800 fps perhaps to an advantage?

Question: the trigger pull on this thing is at least 8 pounds. I'd like to get it down to a more respectable 2-4 pounds if I can. It breaks clean, but boy is it stout. It is a coil spring action, and I have never taken one of these down before, do you suppose a simple spring change is all that would be required? If so, if any of you knows, what weight springs and where do you suppose I should go in search of replacements?

Thanks fellas.