PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY -- RIA 1911 .22 TCM / 9mm combo

NavyVet1959
11-20-2015, 05:53 AM
I've been wanting to get one of these for awhile now, but never seemed to encounter one locally. Stumbled across someone that has one of the single stack mag full size models for sale the other day and we're going to meet up on Sunday to complete the transaction. I was really wanting the double stack model, but settled on this one since it was available for a pretty good price (compared to buying a new one online).

My goal is to develop a load that can use a bullet cast from the Lee 55 gr .225 Bator mold in the .22 TCM barrel and to rechamber the 9x19 barrel into 9x23.

I'll post photos after I get it.

Hopefully, he doesn't back out of the deal like the last one I *nearly* acquired. :(

mjwcaster
11-20-2015, 07:33 PM
I am interested in real world experience with this.
Shot one a little right after they came out, was a prize at our local gun club.
Factory 22TCM ammo had more muzzle blast than just about anything I had shot before, firing under a metal roofed pavilion was loud, even with hearing protection.
And people had thought my 16" barrel 308 AK was loud.

Didn't get to try it out much, just blasted a mag or two with it.

Interesting concept, on my 'someday' wish list.

Handloader109
11-20-2015, 08:30 PM
I've two of them. A double stack and single stack "target" model. I like both. I tend to shoot the single stack more, but they both have been good. One thing that has come up is there is at least one lot of factory ammo that doesn't run well. Had issues with it failing to eject would randomly have a case stick in the barrel. I've been mainly shooting reloads lately. Used three different cast bullets, I like the NOE 225107 37gr mold. I have a 5 cavity gc and it will drop them out quickly. 10.4gr of H110 using BLL works good for me. And the thing IS loud! But a hoot to shoot.

Gunslinger1911
11-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Hey Navy, I got a decent deal on one of the double stack ones. Being a dedicated 1911 fan, it didn't feel "right".
Sold that and found a single stack - love it ! Great with 9's, a hoot with TCM's.
I have a Lee 2 cav mould (gc 45g). 11g 296 really barks !! Haven't had a chance to crono yet - feels like the factory load. Have some PC boolits but haven't had time to shoot those yet.
Hope the deal works out !!

NavyVet1959
11-22-2015, 03:44 AM
Hey Navy, I got a decent deal on one of the double stack ones. Being a dedicated 1911 fan, it didn't feel "right".
Sold that and found a single stack - love it ! Great with 9's, a hoot with TCM's.

The only double stack full size M1911 that I have is a Para 14.45. It definitely feels bigger, but not so much that I can't carry it OWB with with a vest over it for concealment. As Texas gets closer to our 1/1/2016 legalization of Open Carry, keeping a firearm concealed seems to mean a bit less. If people are legally open carrying, then having a barrel that peeks out from under your vest when you reach for something becomes not that big of a deal.

I have a Lee 2 cav mould (gc 45g). 11g 296 really barks !! Haven't had a chance to crono yet - feels like the factory load. Have some PC boolits but haven't had time to shoot those yet.

I haven't seen any 45 gr Lee mold, just the 55 gr one. Do you have a mold number or link for it?

Hope the deal works out !!

Me too... I've had a couple of deals lately where the seller backed out, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So, I guess the next question will be is how difficult is it to rechamber the 9x19 barrel for 9x23. I've seen the reamers listed online by 4D Reamer Rentals for rental for $33.

rond
11-22-2015, 10:17 AM
The only double stack full size M1911 that I have is a Para 14.45. It definitely feels bigger, but not so much that I can't carry it OWB with with a vest over it for concealment. As Texas gets closer to our 1/1/2016 legalization of Open Carry, keeping a firearm concealed seems to mean a bit less. If people are legally open carrying, then having a barrel that peeks out from under your vest when you reach for something becomes not that big of a deal.

I haven't seen any 45 gr Lee mold, just the 55 gr one. Do you have a mold number or link for it?

Me too... I've had a couple of deals lately where the seller backed out, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So, I guess the next question will be is how difficult is it to rechamber the 9x19 barrel for 9x23. I've seen the reamers listed online by 4D Reamer Rentals for rental for $33.
For a few bucks more you could buy a new barrel.

Gunslinger1911
11-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Oops, oldsheimers must be kicking in ! It's an NOE 225 107 45 ish grain 4 banger.
I just got the Lee 55 g to play with in 22 Hornet - I think it may be too long for the TCM.
May just have enough shank for case to grip with base down in case - just gotta find data for that heavy a boolit in TCM.

Let us know how the deal goes. Luck !

NavyVet1959
11-22-2015, 04:28 PM
I met the seller today and have my new toy to play with. Now need to get the .22 TCM dies so I can try developing a load for the 55gr Lee Bator bullet. The seller had won it in a raffle and the company had wanted to apparently showcase their coating / customization skills, so they did it up in a flag motif. I'm not particularly crazy about that look (I prefer a more subdued flat black look) and he was originally wanting $650 for it and had recented reduced the price to $550. I offered him $500 and he agreed. I could kick myself for not buying one of the high capacity models when they were going for less than $500 street price. :( One thing I noticed though is that since it has a rail on it, it will not fit in the OWB kydex holster that I used for all of my other M1911s.

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ria-22tcm-9mm-combo-1-320w.jpg

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ria-22tcm-9mm-combo-2-320w.jpg

It does look a bit better than my crappy cell phone camera photos make it look though. :)

NavyVet1959
11-22-2015, 04:57 PM
For a few bucks more you could buy a new barrel.

I've seen some .38 SUPER barrels for reasonable prices, but not 9x23 barrels.

dragon813gt
11-22-2015, 06:40 PM
I would have the finish stripped already. As long as it shoots well all is good. But that looks bad.

NavyVet1959
11-22-2015, 08:29 PM
I would have the finish stripped already. As long as it shoots well all is good. But that looks bad.

Yeah, I tend to prefer something not so gaudy.

(full-size image link) (http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ria-22tcm-9mm-combo-3.jpg)

http://images.spambob.net/navy-vet-1959/ria-22tcm-9mm-combo-3-320w.jpg

I'm just not so sure how easy it would be to remove the cerakote or whatever they used for the finish.

gray wolf
11-22-2015, 09:30 PM
I couldn't handle the full size picture.

NavyVet1959
11-22-2015, 09:43 PM
I couldn't handle the full size picture.

I was looking at the paperwork that was with the gun and it appears that it was shipped from the factory with this finish. I still prefer a normal black finish though.

Catshooter
11-24-2015, 01:04 AM
Wow! It's uh, an eye catcher for sure. :) A sandblaster/glass beading will fix that paint right up.

Cat

NavyVet1959
11-24-2015, 02:05 AM
I emailed Armscor to find out what was the finish on it (Cerakote, Duracoat, or something else). They said that it was Cerakote on all of the 30 year Commemorative models and that the slides on the bronze looking models were hydrographic dipped.

http://armscor.com/images/uploads/ARMS_CommemorativeBanner-960x400.jpg