PDA

View Full Version : Siamese Mauser

badgeredd
04-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know the diameter and pitch of the barrel thread for a Siamese Mauser? I have an action here that says it wants to be a 45-70 Cast Boolit gun! I must comply! :-D[smilie=1::):drinks::-D

Uncle Grinch
04-12-2008, 09:34 PM
According to my book.... Frank de Haas

.515 shank length
.990 diameter
14 V TPI

I used E. R. Shaw to build mine about 25 years ago.

Love it!

badgeredd
04-12-2008, 09:52 PM
UNCLE GRINCH,

You are the man!!!! I bought this action at least 20 years ago but just never got to it. Too many other ideas and projects jumped in front of it. Wish I had bought a barrel and reamer then though!!!!! Since I am layed off now and it appears I will be for another 4 or so weeks, I think I'll get to it now. Thanks.

No_1
04-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Shaw will still do them and the price is not bad. I talked to them not too long ago about re-doing my siamese to 45-70.

R.

hiram
04-13-2008, 10:47 AM
My father got his barrel from Shaw also, threaded and chambered for the siamese mauser. This had to be 20 years ago.

Larry Gibson
04-13-2008, 12:51 PM
I got a Shaw barrel for my Siamese Mauser in '72. It's still doing well.

Larry Gibson

badgeredd
04-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I thank you for the info but it seems E. R. Shaw no longer has a website, possibly they no longer are in business or were bought out by another barrel maker. I am thinking about getting an Adams & Bennet that I can thread and chamber myself. I'd much rather have a Shilen but money is short so I have to go with my cheapest alternative. That being said, has anyone had experience with A & B barrels? They offer a twist that should be fine for the 45-70 but I haven't had any experience with the product. I have had with Shaw, Shilen, and Douglas but as I said they are a bit rich for me right now. If A & Bs are crappy I'll just wait and save for a better one, which isn't what I REALLY want to do.

No_1
04-13-2008, 05:17 PM
I think they are still around. I just visited this website: http://www.ershawbarrels.com/normal.asp# . This page works but the links from it do not. It is possible their server has issues. I would check back with them in a few days.

R.

hiram
04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
http://www.ershawbarrels.com/

hiram
04-13-2008, 07:57 PM
on ask.com, I did a search for e r shaw barrels. It gave me a website. I pasted it above but the link doesn't work.

badgeredd
04-13-2008, 08:07 PM
No.1 and Hiram,

Thanks, I had the same problem but never thought about it being a server issue. I'll check back over the next few days to see if it is going. About the Adams & Bennett barrels, have you heard anything about them?

Scrounger
04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Came up nicely on my computer, no problem.

KCSO
04-13-2008, 10:04 PM
They were stil in business last month.

hornsurgeon
04-13-2008, 10:50 PM
i have not used adams and bennet barrels for cast yet, but i have made a 35 whelen that holds moa and a 22-250 that is 1/2 moa. 35 was chrome moly, the 22-250 a stainless fluted bothe f34 contour pre threaded for the 98 large ring. i am building a 270 as a retirement present for my father.

another option is the brownells brand of barrels. they are made by shaw (as are the a&b). i have one of those on a 98 mauser in 25-06 that is 1/2 moa. it is more important how the barrel is installed than who made the barrel. the best barrel will never shoot well if it's not put on well, but an ok barrel will shoot suprisingly well if put on the right way.

the downside to bothe a&b and brownells barrels is that the rifling is not lapped. i don't like to lap or firelap a new barrel, so it takes about 100-150 rounds to really break these barrels in. but that gives you plenty of time to learn what powder and bullet weight the rifle likes (or hates)

badgeredd
04-14-2008, 05:09 PM
i have not used adams and bennet barrels for cast yet, but i have made a 35 whelen that holds moa and a 22-250 that is 1/2 moa. 35 was chrome moly, the 22-250 a stainless fluted bothe f34 contour pre threaded for the 98 large ring. i am building a 270 as a retirement present for my father.

Thanks, this is the answer to my question.

another option is the brownells brand of barrels. they are made by shaw (as are the a&b).

I wasn't aware of this.

i have one of those on a 98 mauser in 25-06 that is 1/2 moa. it is more important how the barrel is installed than who made the barrel. the best barrel will never shoot well if it's not put on well, but an ok barrel will shoot suprisingly well if put on the right way.

I've built about 25 cartridge rifles on Mauser, Springfield, P14, and Remington actions so I can handle the fit thing.

the downside to bothe a&b and brownells barrels is that the rifling is not lapped. i don't like to lap or firelap a new barrel, so it takes about 100-150 rounds to really break these barrels in. but that gives you plenty of time to learn what powder and bullet weight the rifle likes (or hates)

How very true! Since I plan on using primarily cast, I'll fire lap the bore. Past experience tells me if one is prudent, it won't enlarge the bore appreciably anyway.

Thanks a lot, this is what I wanted to know.

hornsurgeon
04-14-2008, 09:40 PM
glad i could help. i would probably not use either on a target or dog rifle. i don't think you will get the accuracy life out of them compared to others, unless you like changing out barrels more often than needed, or get bored easily. for a hunting or plinking rifle they are great.

C1PNR
04-24-2008, 09:57 PM
When these first hit our shores I bought one mail order. In no time Navy Arms, I think, bought a whole pot full of them and had Douglas supply barrels in 45-70.

I had mine rebarreled locally with a 24" Douglas barrel in 45-70 and it has done yeoman duty as my "ugly BIG stick." I guess some day I should put a nice new piece of wood on it.[smilie=1:

My recollection, suspect at this stage, is that there was some sort of unusual receiver/barrel thread configuration, but I don't know for sure. I think they were made under license at a Tokyo arsenal in 1907 or so.