PDA

View Full Version : Hard set on the LNL AP, but now what.

pretzelxx
11-19-2015, 09:54 PM
So, I've got their single stage press and I like it for... Well, being slow. I deprime and expand then wash my brass. After I hand prime with their hand tool, stuff them all in a loading block and powder charge 50 at a time. Drop a boolit and then seat and crimp on the same stage.

My questions are these:
1. Is it more time consuming to pick up primers by hand in the tube and prime on the press?
2. Would it be better to clean before depriming and then completely run the brass till the end of the load (deprime/size, prime, expand, charge, seat/crimp) assuming question 1 is faster to load on the press.
3. Does anyone sell home made boolit and brass collators? I'm not sure I could construct one by the videos I've seen in the past.
4. Assuming 1 is slower to load on the press by picking up primers, is that then worth it to spend the extra $100 to buy their 1911 primer vibrator thing?
5. No, I don't want a dillon, sorry.

5Shot
11-19-2015, 10:40 PM
As an ex LNL-AP owner - have you tried one? Sold mine and don't regret it. Too many issues.

Picking up primers in the tube doesn't take long at all and is much quicker than doing them on a hand prime or press IMO.
Clean first and spray lube, even with carbide dies.
Don't know about a vibra prime.

pretzelxx
11-19-2015, 10:47 PM
I looked at a comparison of the ap vs a dillon and the review came to be that the AP is a bit smoother and had less issues than the Dillon with proper upkeep.

But, no I have not actually handled any progressive presses at all.

Other reasons I'm set on hornady is the auto eject is seemingly failsafe, the cartridge holder spring thing that follows the entire way around the loader and the ability to change caliber at a much cheaper rate than the Dillon.

castalott
11-19-2015, 11:13 PM
But the auto eject isn't foolproof. I have worn the edge on mine and now about 1 % of the cases ride up on top of the ejector nob and lock the press up. Having said that, mine primes perfectly and I haven't completely ruined the spring around the shell plate yet...

I have the 1911 primer thing and it works very well if you assemble it correctly every time.

Too bad you don't live closer...I've had my LNL a while and am tired of it...time for something different.

Mike67
11-19-2015, 11:29 PM
I've had the Hornady LNL AP for 3 years now with no issues that I didn't create myself. I don't have the case feeder and won't have a bullet feeder. Primer tube filling is a little time consuming but it will help pace a beginner in progressive reloading a bit. I actually like the Dillon primer tubes better than Hornady they are easier to load. I do also own a Dillon RL450 with auto primer and powder upgrades and RCBS pro 2000 and no major complaints about any of them. You will love the Hornady if that is what you want and you learn how to use it and maintain it. Of course I'm personally sure you would Love the Dillon XL650 I'll never rule out having one of those too someday. To answer question number 2 specifically I tumble my pistol brass before loading on the progressive. Rifle at least for me is a different animal I tumble, Size/deprime, tumble again(lube removal), trim, and or deburr most of this part done on a single stage press. The loading is then done on a progressive. Others may have a faster or better way for rifle this is how I do it.

pretzelxx
11-19-2015, 11:39 PM
thank you all for the input. I will keep those in mind and look at possible solutions to have available in the future if they arise for me.

dannyd
11-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Have about 35,000 roled on LNL I like it. Ran about 75,000 on a 550 and SBD. All of them are good its just what you like.

dannyd
11-19-2015, 11:59 PM
Have about 35,000 roled on LNL I like it. Ran about 75,000 on a 550 and SBD. All of them are good its just what you like.

freebullet
11-20-2015, 01:16 AM
The Lnl ap is a fine press. It is like any other machine it can require tinkering and a patient capable person to keep it churning out rounds. If your not good with machines and overseeing multiple operations at the same time a progressive press in any color may not be for you.
I don't mess around setting up the Lnl for batches less than 1k, that's where it saves time- large batches. Pistol brass tumble in cc then run it through start to finished rounds. For large batches of rifle and magnum pistol i prefer to prep the brass then run it through the lnl for prime,charge,seat,& crimp. The vibraprime is the way to go, it to requires tinkering to be reliable. A lock out die should be required for progressive newbies seriously, if you get the press get the die too.

Don't fall in to the round per hour trap and jerk on it like slot machines. I don't know of anyone offering low cost bullet feeders. There are folks using clear or pvc tubes on top of the bullet feed die. So you'd load the tubes just like primers and away you go, poor- er a cheap man's bullet feeder. Google will reveal what I'm referring to.

The case feeder is worth having and requires it's own tinkering process. The sum total being all machines require tinkering at some point. 165k and still kicking.

11-20-2015, 03:10 AM
Hornady do offer a low cost bullet feeder, it is called a bullet feed die and their bullet feed tube, available in 9mm/38, 40 & 45
http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-9mm-Bullet-Tube
Still waiting for them to arrive in Aus so I made my own, with the time taken to load the tubes it probably only increases production by 100rds/hr but the time actually spent operating the press is much less. You only need to feed cases not both so simplifies operation.

Maximumbob54
11-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Having bought both the bullet and case feeder I would NOT buy the bullet feeder again and the only reason I would buy the case feeder is if I reload primarily only one cartridge and just leave it set for that one and hand feed the rest. The bullet feeder is finicky about anything that isn't jacketed. Even plated hangs up all the time. And having to make all the adjustments to a different bullet takes too much trial and error to get it just right. The case feeder is easier (IMHO) to change from one to another but still doesn't save you that much time from if you have a good setup. I now have both of them just collecting dust on a top shelf.

The retainer spring used to get kinks all the time until I figured I was causing them. First, when you change the plate set the spring in the trench next to the first station but hold it up. Set the plate in place so it sandwiches the spring without kinking it. Now the plate will hold it in place while you screw the plate down. And buy a lock washer for that cap screw because it likes to work loose and this is another cause of kinking the spring. I have a split lock washer under mine now.

When you first get the press, take a dab of some kind of fine polishing compound and run the primer shuttle back and forth until it feels like it's gliding on glass. As soon as I did this it worked perfect as long as it's clean. If you see any small amount of spilled powder then just take a break and clean everything. It will save you the headache.

The one and only ongoing headache I still have are the bushings. They rely on the rubber o-ring to hold tight. The rest aren't so much of an issue but the powder measure's bushing on mine likes to work loose. I have started putting a large spring clamp on it to hold it in place but I need a more permanent solution that isn't a giant clamp. I keep thinking how Lee's bushing system has the button you lock into place and maybe drilling a hole for a retainer pin is an idea. But I'm just not willing to drill stuff yet.

And Inline Fabrication's upgrade options make this an even better press. I did the quick change top plate on the tall mount, the double bullet tray holder and I want to add the swing arm attachment to hold two more trays. Having everything right there by the press works more than well enough to keep your output high. I do still have their roller handle but I prefer the 8 ball handle for pushing against for the primer seating. Inline also mods the Dillon low primer warning to fit the LNL AP and has saved me many times with it's little buzzer.

Last, buy a primer tube filler like the FA Vibraprime or Hornady's new 1911 tube filler. I have the 1911 one and you would have to shoot me and take it from my cold dead hand to get me to go back to hen pecking primer tubes again.

lancem
11-20-2015, 09:24 AM
To save time I have a dozen or so primer tubes the I preload by hand while watching TV, then there is no stopping once I'm loading. I tumble clean all of my brass first then load without stopping, this is all pistol ammo. Rifle ammo I load on a single stage press. The case feeder is worth having IMO and I just started using the bullet feeder with tubes and it is working fine with cast and hard lube in 9mm. Once again I have a bunch of tubes and load them up watching TV, then to the press. Can't say that things are speeded up much using the bullet feeder but it is nice that my hands stay cleaner by not having lube transfered to my hands.

pretzelxx
11-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Just wanted to say thank you to all the advice on how to keep the ap running well. I've got the whole setup in my amazon wishlist for cyber Monday, if I get a discount that would be awesome.

Anyway, it looks like the wife will actually let me get the press this year! Now I just need to buy more lead and look into a shooting league of some sort. And ammo cans for storage, extra brass and stock up on a few cases of primers. I appreciate everything you all do on this forum!

lightload
11-20-2015, 06:33 PM
My limited progressive experience taught me to resize and decap on a single stage, then tumble cases, prime with an automatic Lee hand primer tool, and finally perform the remaining operations on the progressive. My way keeps primer residue off the machine and allows me to avoid headaches associated with priming on the press. I use a later version of Lee's powder measure that allows case expansion and powder charging at the same time. I replaced the Lee expander with a NOE powder funnel having M die dimensions. I seat and crimp in separate operations. I'm aware that I could load faster. However, I've got more time than money and enjoy the hobby. My machine is a 550, and I have a SQ Deal not yet cranked up.

gwpercle
11-20-2015, 06:47 PM
Nothing wrong with taking your time. When you don't things happen. " Haste makes waste" was one of my Mom's bits of wisdom...mine is "Speed Kills".
I load on a single stage, have primed on press with a tube , picking them up one at a time and putting in the cup and with a Lee hand priming tool. The tube was a pain, filling it, they get sideways, they get hung up and wont come out and then they drop out all over the floor. My preferred on press method is pick up each primer from a small dish and place it in the priming arm cup . The Lee hand primer is used because I can do it in the house, unheated and uncooled reloading building got old. Because of the lack of a/c I do a lot of reloading inside with a Lee Hand Press...don't really need a bench and heavy duty press for most reloading with one of these . You might want to get one, can do some loading on the cheap. It wont be a waste of money, even though I have three bench mounted presses, I have two Lee hand presses , I can reload inside and have even put one in a gym bag and reloaded ammo at the office. All handgun and a lot of rifle ammo can be reloaded with one.

Gary

osteodoc08
11-20-2015, 06:49 PM
I've loaded on and have a 550, SDB and LnL. Dad was a Dillon guy. I bought the LnL because it was cheaper. It is a good press. I've had issues with it but none of them have kept me down for any period of time. I'll stick with it as I have too much $$$$ invested in it at this point unless it really makes me mad, which I don't foresee. All of the presses have their quirks. The LnL is no different.

To answer your question. Prime on the press. It's faster and you don't need squeaky clean primer pockets for everyday shooting and plinking rounds. For
my pistols I use carbide dies. Tumble in media and load

pretzelxx
11-20-2015, 07:08 PM
That seems to be the common way to go for normal plinking and fun of recoil.

Clean, then load on the press. It seems after washing my brass with lemishine, the prime compound doesn't make a mess after I pop the primers out. Also the chute the LNL has made me super happy. I forsee a lot more money being spent on components now, and a ton more time actually CASTING! yay

Mytmousemalibu
11-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Glad someone posted this, I'm in the same boat, in the market for a progressive press and have been looking hard at the 650 and the LnL.

pretzelxx
11-20-2015, 07:27 PM
The reason I chose the hornady is the ease of caliber change (9mm 45 and 556) I have some of their stuff already, the bushings and a powder charge and stuff of that sort,and I have not had a single issue

It's not that I don't want a dillon, because I would love a 1050,but I cannot afford that. The hornady seems to suit my needs and pocket book much better! I hope you can make your mind up and never look back either way you decide, after all it's a great hobby!

OptimusPanda
11-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Ive had my LNL AP for maybe 5 years? I cant remember exactly. It was my first press and still running strong. It can be a little fiddly at times with the indexing palls on the bottom of the ram (especially when you change shell plates) but they're easy enough to adjust. In the 15k-ish rounds loaded on it I have only had two problems..I did break the shell plate hub (this was really my fault for not noticing a die being cammed into the plate too hard), and the primer shuttle jammed up breaking the guide wire (this was an acknowledged problem and the new ones have a break away wire to prevent this). In both cases hornady sent me the replacement hub and primer wire retrofit kit free of charge.

11-21-2015, 03:55 AM
Would have put at least 10k through mine and the only problem I can relate to is the powder thrower lnl bush working loose.
Yet to experience and bullet hang ups using the feed tubes but have only been using them with coated boolits.
Mine is fitted with the primer wire break away and I have managed to pop it out when I have jambed things up a few times but easy enough to clear and reset it.

Mine brass gets tumbled and that is it before being feed into the press and loaded, same procedure for all my pistol ammo regardless of it is plinking ammo or target ammo for Olympic bullseye matches.

chrisstophere
11-21-2015, 09:50 AM
I second the opinion on the bullet feeder. Even after going thru the tedious process of dremeling the collets to accept cast rounds, it's still not reliable. That being said, I've heard good things about the mini mr.bullet feeder.

jmorris
11-21-2015, 10:05 AM
I have owned two LNL's pre and post EZject. As a base machine I can see the allure, their bullet and case feed brings cost closer to the 650 and drastically increase the number of problems one has.

As for aftermarket collators these guys sell them but that won't help you much on the LNL.http://www.budgetreloader.com

The 650 already comes with tube and device that feeds cases from the tube into the shell plate setup on the base machine. This is one reason it costs more than the LNL.

The LNL case feed conversion includes the collator and all the parts to feed collated cases into the shell plate. This is why the LNL conversion costs more than the Dillon as well, as has more issues.

Hornady will not sell just the actual case feed parts, you have to buy their kit that includes the collator as well.

11-22-2015, 03:31 AM
I second the opinion on the bullet feeder. Even after going thru the tedious process of dremeling the collets to accept cast rounds, it's still not reliable. That being said, I've heard good things about the mini mr.bullet feeder.

So are you blokes that have had trouble with the bullet feeder having problems with the feed die or the bullet feed system?

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2015, 08:32 AM
want the best advice youll ever get? Buy yourself a 550 Dillon. Bullet proof reliability. A bit slower then a true progressive but they will crank out more ammo then most guys will ever need. this is from a guy that has two lnls with case feeders and a 550 on the bench. My 550 is used 10 times more then but lnls combined. I can swap calibers in the blink of an eye without any adjusting or tweeking. Anymore I leave one lnl set up for 223 and one for 45acp because there to much of a pain in the but to switch around. especially the case feeders. The 650 Dillon was made for a case feeder and is awkward without one. the hornady thing is an add on and is troublesome. Its great when its running right. A guy can crank out a lot of ammo fast but its a rare loading session that im not adjusting something on those lnls.

chrisstophere
11-22-2015, 08:49 AM
So are you blokes that have had trouble with the bullet feeder having problems with the feed die or the bullet feed system?
The die itself reliably feeding .356 cast rounds

odis
11-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I agree with Lloyd, although I haven't used a LNL or a 650 I just don't see the benefit in have either a case feeder or auto index. I think the 550 is a simple and great system. I own a SD and bought it when it was about 135 and I wish I had bought a 550 instead.

jmorris
11-22-2015, 10:21 AM
I just don't see the benefit in have either a case feeder or auto index.

When everything is running right they allow one to load faster with less work. It takes me at least twice as long or longer to load 100 rounds on an SD or 550 than one of my bullet/case fed 650 or 1050 machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

The key words are "running right" I have yet to see a video of any bullet and case fed LNL running for more than just a few rounds. Also, started a thread in another forum to see if I could get a video of one that someone had tweeted and had running better but no luck as of yet.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223095

castalott
11-22-2015, 12:30 PM
jmorris...Did you build the bench in that video? That truss system looks like it works excellent with no shake.

I'm more of a 'post and beam' kinda guy although I have run a couple of truss shops in my time.

Dale

odis
11-22-2015, 01:45 PM
When everything is running right they allow one to load faster with less work. It takes me at least twice as long or longer to load 100 rounds on an SD or 550 than one of my bullet/case fed 650 or 1050 machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl63cR9Y_Y0

The key words are "running right" I have yet to see a video of any bullet and case fed LNL running for more than just a few rounds. Also, started a thread in another forum to see if I could get a video of one that someone had tweeted and had running better but no luck as of yet.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=223095I was talking about my own needs. I mean no disrespect to anybody and what they use to reload with but since I am not a competitor who shoots many many thousands of round of ammo a year I like to keep things simple. Plus reloading is a very big part of my gun hobby and the video of your 650 makes it look like a job to reload. And I'm curious about the bench too, looks as solid as a rock.

pretzelxx
11-22-2015, 01:54 PM
That case feed add on price really hit me. I didn't realize it didn't come with the feed assembly I thought you just had to go buy the tubes for brass and the collator.. I'm really disappointed in the need to spend another 300+ that might actually change plans a bit...

That and the fact my wife decided instead of just a bed she got a whole bedroom set... $3200 later and she's still complaining

Lloyd Smale
11-22-2015, 04:20 PM
it kind of comes close to equally out to the cost of a 650. The 650 case feeder is about half the price because the press is already set up for it and designed right out of the box to use one. Its more of an add on with the lnl and to be honest is responsible for about half the headaches with the lnls. No doubt a fully automatic advancing press with a case feeder is faster then a 550 but ill stand behind the reasoning that very few need that speed. Yes its nice and yes it gives someone like me more time to shoot that shoots thousands of rounds a month but most guys here are happy with cranking out a few hundred rounds at a time and maybe will shoot them in a week or two and then load a few hundred back up. Heck even me anymore, Im retired and have plenty of time to load enough ammo on a 550. Thing I like is it runs every time. No adjusting no timing just dump powder in it and primers and go. On some bad days with the lnl I probably could have loaded as many on my 550 in the same amount of time as my 550 after tweeking this and that and cases tipping over while being fed into the shell plate or cases hanging up. Im not a paitent man and those things probably get to me more then others. The 550 is like a rock. Its like my faithful best friend. the lnl is more like a high maintenance hot chick.

pretzelxx
11-22-2015, 05:08 PM
I appreciate the input. My reason for getting a progressive is... I don't load often and when I do it takes forever to load a few. I have no real stockpile of assembled ammo to shoot frequently. I feel as a progressive will allow me to load at least a few hundred rounds rather quickly as cheap as I can, even if it requires a little tinkering.

I don't want a full collator, just some tubes to feed cases to my press, if I had that on my single stage I probably wouldn't worry about upgrading.

ole 5 hole group
11-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Pretzelxx - you'll be happy with the basic LnL - I see no need for a bullet or case feeder with your intended use. 200 to 300 rounds an hour seems like it would be sufficient. When you get it just clean it up and set it up. I seriously doubt you'll have to adjust the paws and probably never will have to unless you're one of the truly unlucky ones.

If you've never run a progressive before, you'll have a learning curve but within 6 months it'll be a cake-walk. The learning curve is just how everything should feel, as if a primer doesn't load there is a definite different feel and until you get that "feeling" you'll spread a little powder around - things like that. Sometimes a piece of corncob will lodge in the spent primer and your decapping rod will hang up on the corncob and bring the primer back into the case just enough to hold it and that will jam your rotation. Not a big problem at all and it happens with all progressives a time or two a month or year depending upon your load volume. I recommend you keep a can of compressed air handy and when you notice a little primer residue or powder around the priming mechanism, just give it a short of air and continue on.

Some problems with any progressive comes from a poorly made bench, in that the reloading bench will flex a little. If you load rifle as well as handgun ammo, I would recommend getting two complete powder measures, as that operation sometimes can be a bit of a problem (mainly time consuming and a little cussin) when you try to take a short-cut and that one bolt screw going into the C-grove can be a PITA at times.

As with most things - money keeps being spent on "improvements" or whatever we choose to call it.

pretzelxx
11-22-2015, 07:15 PM
Yeah. I need a bench before a press. I wanted to build with basic wood, so I can maybe move it when I PCS. I'm still unsure what to do, but I know it needs to be sturdy!

And thankfully I have stainless steel pins to wash brass, so no media in the flash holes! I appreciate the advice. I won't buy any add-ons besides caliber changes it seems like for me. No need for a bullet feed as I can hand place them as long as I have the cases placed for me! Guess it's time to use my mechanical skills, the asvab said I have those things.

dannyd
11-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Use a roll away to mount it and a strong mount made by inline fab.

Carrier
11-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Yeah. I need a bench before a press. I wanted to build with basic wood, so I can maybe move it when I PCS. I'm still unsure what to do, but I know it needs to be sturdy!

And thankfully I have stainless steel pins to wash brass, so no media in the flash holes! I appreciate the advice. I won't buy any add-ons besides caliber changes it seems like for me. No need for a bullet feed as I can hand place them as long as I have the cases placed for me! Guess it's time to use my mechanical skills, the asvab said I have those things.

And watch those videos it will make things go much better if you get the LNL. My LNL worked fine but it really works much better after fine tuning it. Plus if any issues do come up with it you will know what is wrong and how to fix it. These presses are pretty simple but his videos make it easier.
Also if you get it phone Hornady and get them to send you the shims that go under the bushing o-rings as the powder measure will not come loose using it instead of a thicker o-ring. Plus replacements for all the springs and o-rings for it. Much easier having them and not needing rather than having to wait for them.

pretzelxx
11-23-2015, 12:44 AM
Also good advice. I'm looking into making a case feed shuttle. Seems a lot of people over engineered their homemade ones!

I want it as simple and as slick as possible... I hope 1/4 inch cutting board plastic works well!

Three44s
11-23-2015, 01:52 AM
Steady and smooth makes my LNL run.

You rush it and you pay.

Three 44s

Mytmousemalibu
11-23-2015, 03:01 AM
That stinks that the LNL doesn't have the case feed and you'd have to buy the whole collator system. That's kind of a s***y way to force the hand of their customer base or potential customers. I hate **** like that. Been through that ringer on gun repair when you need some parts to get something fixed that you can easily do yourself and its pulling teeth to get them because they would rather you send it in for a lengthy & costly repair. Oddly sounds like Hornady's tactic on the case feeder, screw that. I'm in the market for a progressive and I want it to actually work well and spend the bench time making ammo instead of constantly jacking with a fussy press to make it work. I have endured the wrath of a Lee Loadmaster before..... I'm ok with paying more and getting less headache. From what I can gather, the LNL can be fussy, the Dillon's generally aren't. I don't need all the feeders and whiz-bangs on the press, I can put a bullet in by hand but I want the cases fed in. I can live without a collator even. Certainly all the add-on's would be nice if I had them but I don't shoot that much........ yet! Perhaps when I finally get a lathe & mill, it will be much easier to make add-on's like collators and other nice things like annealers and other awesome bench porn. With that in mind, I guess i'll have a sip of Blue Koolaid! I would probably be fine with a 550B in all honesty but I really want case feed and lever indexing so a 650 is the hot ticket I suppose.

Lloyd Smale
11-23-2015, 07:42 AM
heres my take. If you want a case feeder go with the 650 and don't leave out the collator. It is the main time saver with a case feeder. IF you have to load tubes you might as well load the press. If you don't want to fool with a case feeder at all go with the lnl. Not having it stops about 3/4s of the tinkering with that press and its much easier to deal with without a case feeder then a 650 is. to bad you cant at least try out someones 550 though to see if its possibly all you need. Get in a rhythm with a 550 and you can crank out lots of ammo. About the only difference is flipping the case advance with your thumb and that comes without thinking after a little time with it. It also gives you the ability to use the press as a single stage press if you don't already have one.

jmorris
11-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Also good advice. I'm looking into making a case feed shuttle. Seems a lot of people over engineered their homemade ones!

Well, that's not impossible to do I made the only case feed for an SD I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdzxJenkX0

That said I have been told before that I have too much time on my hands, if your reason for getting a progressive is to save time you should buy one that already has a case feeder ready to go.

I also agree with Lloyd, grabbing a case and orienting it base down and putting it into a tube is going to take you more or less the same time it will take you to grab it and put it into the shell plate. Collators are what make bullet and case feeders faster, that and reliability.

jmorris
11-23-2015, 09:33 AM

Something I could move by myself, sturdy with out bolting it to the walls and wouldn't mess up the hardwood floors were my design criteria for the last bench I built.

It is a truss style built from 3/4" box tube with cross braces where presses mount and 1/8" steel top and bottom shelf. Also has outlets on the bottom controlled by two switches one controls the air compressor the other kills power to the entire bench. The section that makes it an "L" is bolt on so I could move it from the shop into the room by myself, then bolt it back together.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/IMAG1210.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG1238.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG1256.jpg

It is possible to build a wood bench as sturdy but it would weigh more.

5Shot
11-23-2015, 12:22 PM

What is the purple item on the bottom shelf?

pretzelxx
11-23-2015, 12:26 PM
If I had a tig welder and some good aluminum...

jmorris
11-23-2015, 01:15 PM
What is the purple item on the bottom shelf?

It is a casepro roll sizer, sizes the rim and base of cases.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02110.jpg

This is the same kind of machine that I automated for rounds I shoot more of.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/casepro/DSC02028-1.jpg

jmorris
11-23-2015, 01:20 PM
If I had a tig welder and some good aluminum...

The one I built is steel and still doesn't weigh too much. Aluminum would work but cost more.

Carrier
11-23-2015, 08:02 PM
That stinks that the LNL doesn't have the case feed and you'd have to buy the whole collator system. That's kind of a s***y way to force the hand of their customer base or potential customers. I hate **** like that. Been through that ringer on gun repair when you need some parts to get something fixed that you can easily do yourself and its pulling teeth to get them because they would rather you send it in for a lengthy & costly repair. Oddly sounds like Hornady's tactic on the case feeder, screw that. I'm in the market for a progressive and I want it to actually work well and spend the bench time making ammo instead of constantly jacking with a fussy press to make it work. I have endured the wrath of a Lee Loadmaster before..... I'm ok with paying more and getting less headache. From what I can gather, the LNL can be fussy, the Dillon's generally aren't. I don't need all the feeders and whiz-bangs on the press, I can put a bullet in by hand but I want the cases fed in. I can live without a collator even. Certainly all the add-on's would be nice if I had them but I don't shoot that much........ yet! Perhaps when I finally get a lathe & mill, it will be much easier to make add-on's like collators and other nice things like annealers and other awesome bench porn. With that in mind, I guess i'll have a sip of Blue Koolaid! I would probably be fine with a 550B in all honesty but I really want case feed and lever indexing so a 650 is the hot ticket I suppose.

I guess then a 650 would be what you are looking for. If money is no issue then 1050 would be better.

Mytmousemalibu
11-24-2015, 02:57 AM
I guess then a 650 would be what you are looking for. If money is no issue then 1050 would be better.

Yeah, I think you and Lloyd Smale are right, 650 is the answer! I would love a 1050 but I really don't think I need that much capability, Keyword: at this time, but I could certainly learn to love it! Then there's all the other awesome Dillon goodies, bits & pieces. If you swallow a sip of Blue Koolaid, is it possible to avoid addiction? I'm not below getting a 1050 if I think I'd need it or if it would just make more sense in the long run. I know nothing about them either and if they are very reliable like a 550/650 or if they are more hassle. I am in the middle of turning an M&P 9L Performance Center CORE/Ported into an "Open Gun" just as a fun toy but I have been wanting to start in on taking my other M&P's and possibly the 9L and doing some competition shooting here soon like USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA type of stuff, at least to try it out. So I know in doing so my ammo usage will pick up quite a bit if I get hooked on that but I don't know if that means 650 or 1050. I do know for sure I want to add a progressive to the bench no matter what.

Mr. Morris, Outstanding looking setup you have! You are a Master at some top notch home built equipment! I was going to build a nice heavy wood bench but that steel truss setup is calling to me! I need to go get the TIG bottle filled!

freebullet
11-24-2015, 03:59 AM
Lol, it's easy to spend others money. He went from dead set on an lnl to buying a 1050, priceless.

If your only loading a few hundred rounds at a time you don't really need a progressive at all, in fact I bet you'd regret the purchase. With optimization of batch processing a single stage should be filling the needs you've described very well in short order. Good luck

Jmorris
You have a down right spectacular set up. Thank you for sharing it with us.

jmorris
11-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Lol, it's easy to spend others money. He went from dead set on an lnl to buying a 1050, priceless.

Two different people but yes it's easy to spend others money.

Carrier
11-24-2015, 10:10 PM

If your only loading a few hundred rounds at a time you don't really need a progressive at all, in fact I bet you'd regret the purchase. With optimization of batch processing a single stage should be filling the needs you've described very well in short order. Good luck

Jmorris
You have a down right spectacular set up. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Well it's obvious the lowly LNL won't work for him!!

jmorris
11-25-2015, 01:04 AM
Well it's obvious the lowly LNL won't work for him!!

No, classic thread drift. The LNL is likely his best choice.

5. No, I don't want a dillon, sorry.

flyingmonkey35
11-25-2015, 01:13 AM
Something I could move by myself, sturdy with out bolting it to the walls and wouldn't mess up the hardwood floors were my design criteria for the last bench I built.

It is a truss style built from 3/4" box tube with cross braces where presses mount and 1/8" steel top and bottom shelf. Also has outlets on the bottom controlled by two switches one controls the air compressor the other kills power to the entire bench. The section that makes it an "L" is bolt on so I could move it from the shop into the room by myself, then bolt it back together.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG1238.jpg

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMAG1256.jpg

It is possible to build a wood bench as sturdy but it would weigh more.
Wow. I'm a bit jealous [emoji79]

pretzelxx
11-25-2015, 01:19 AM
I like the look of dillon, and their customer service... Or so it would seem through the countless members of this and other forums saying get a dillon. However, it would seem Santa has come in the form of a member here at this forum! I've got an LNL in the works!!!

I couldn't be happier with what I've decided, but it all seems to have been better than I could imagine! What a great place this truly is.

11-25-2015, 02:52 AM
I like the look of dillon, and their customer service... Or so it would seem through the countless members of this and other forums saying get a dillon. However, it would seem Santa has come in the form of a member here at this forum! I've got an LNL in the works!!!

I couldn't be happier with what I've decided, but it all seems to have been better than I could imagine! What a great place this truly is.

I don't think you will be disappointed with the LNL, even without case or bullet feed you will easily triple your output over a single stage.
I haven't had any of the problems with the bullet feed die others have experienced, doesn't greatly increase production maybe 50-100rds hr when used in conjunction with feed tubes but a cheap enough addition at around $50.

anotherred
11-26-2015, 12:02 PM
I agree, you'll be happy with the Hornady. My suggestion is when you get it setup for a caliber, write down all the particulars and it will make it that much faster to change calibers. Also, I've made piles of ammo without the case feeder. Finally when I could afford it, I got the case feeder. Nice improvement (but not necessary). As for your original post, you'll appreciate having both Hornady presses. With a little shimming to the single stage you can make sure your dies will interchange between the two presses with no adjustment. This is nice to have when you only want to do a small batch by hand.
My method is deprime all cases on the single stage, then clean with stainless pins. I do full cased prep on rifle brass (including full length resize on the single stage). I now have pretty and super easy to load brass ready for the AP. I did get the frankford primer loader and when I finally got that *** to work properly it really is a time saver. Every one has their opinions, but I'm happy the route I went.

pretzelxx
11-26-2015, 01:56 PM
I'll probably pick up the 1911 primer loader cause it's about half the cost I thought it was... Not too fussy there, I just need to wait till after the holidays to spend any more on gun supplies! Lol

ole 5 hole group
11-26-2015, 04:47 PM
Sure doesn't hurt to possess a hand primer but that LnL will do it all for you. Like the previous posted advised he deprimes on a single press - different strokes for different folks. If you want to just deprime to clean the primer pockets I think you might find it quicker to just resize and deprime on the LnL, as you handle the brass just once.

I've prepped a few cases for others - just tumble, then using the LnL I deprime, resize, prime and put a slight bell on the case mouth with the expander die - everything goes pretty fast with very little effort or thought process.

You'll be surprised how fast everything goes once you find your "routine".

jmorris
11-27-2015, 10:37 AM
I'll probably pick up the 1911 primer loader cause it's about half the cost I thought it was... Not too fussy there, I just need to wait till after the holidays to spend any more on gun supplies! Lol

They were more expensive when they came out but recently reduced the price to get them to sell vs the vibraprime. The VP is still the less expensive unit but only slightly but they do go on sale a few times a year for $25.

ole 5 hole group
11-27-2015, 10:56 AM
haaa, just realized you guys are talking about a primer tube feeder and not an ole hand primer. I haven't even graduated to a smart phone yet, so I doubt I could handle that battery operated gizmo;-).

jmorris
11-28-2015, 01:18 AM
No harm, no foul.

We learn something everyday, until we don't.

Hardcast
11-29-2015, 10:10 AM
No harm, no foul.

We learn something everyday, until we don't.

jmorris, I went to MidwayUSA and looked at the reviews on the LNL. The number of unsatisfied users is disturbing. So now I'm thinking about going blue. Being you have experience with all the Dillons, can you tell me if a tube type bullet feeder such as the Mini Mr Bullet Feeder will work on the 650 without giving up the separate seating and crimping stations? (this is assuming that this type of feeder work with cast boolits) I could live without the powder check if I can see into the case like I can with my ProJector, but I don't like seating and crimping on the same station. Thanks.

jmorris
11-29-2015, 03:44 PM
can you tell me if a tube type bullet feeder such as the Mini Mr Bullet Feeder will work on the 650 without giving up the separate seating and crimping stations?

I assume you are asking about the "dropper" style as they are all fed by a column of bullets contained in a tube.

You can have a 650 with the MBF feeder and separate seat then crimp but you loose the powder check station. The only one that will let you retain the PC die and seat in 4 then crimp in 5 is the GSI feeder.

Hardcast
11-29-2015, 03:55 PM
I assume you are asking about the "dropper" style as they are all fed by a column of bullets contained in a tube.

You can have a 650 with the MBF feeder and separate seat then crimp but you loose the powder check station. The only one that will let you retain the PC die and seat in 4 then crimp in 5 is the GSI feeder.

Yes, that is what I was asking and thanks for the answer. That tells me what I need to know.