PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this

Oklahoma Scarecrow
11-19-2015, 07:07 PM
I'm looking for outside opinions. I'm reloading mixed brass for a G.I. 1911 in .45 auto (of course). I have roughly 2 pounds of Unique powder and want to use it up before I buy something else. I do not yet have a lead hardness tester, so I'm unsure of the number, but its roughly 90/5/5. Another mix I use is 95/5 tin. Bullet is the 230 grain 1R 6 cavity mold. Using a Dillon 450 press. What do you think would be an accurate load? My dies are set to factory ammo specs.

Victor N TN
11-19-2015, 07:16 PM
5 grains of Unique will get you close to 700 fps. I didn't have a chronograph when I shot these loads. When you get tired of cleaning the mess from Unique, try Vithavouri (?) N-340 5.5 grains is a LOT cleaner burning powder. It's the cleanest burning powder I've used in 45 ACP.

dilly
11-19-2015, 07:17 PM
You have a reloading manual right?

Your caliber and components are the most basic and common; you really ought to be able to find standard load data in almost any manual. Simply start at the starting load, and load a few up in each charge in .2 or .3 grain increments. When shooting, watch for signs of pressure as you get closer to the max load.

When you find one that shoots to your liking, make hundreds of rounds of it until you run out of components.

Forums are not the first place you look for reloading data; they are the last, and least desirable. Someone could mistype, misread, or even just be plane old crazy. I try not to use forum data unless I am looking up an unusual combination that can't be found in books. Even then, I prefer to hear from people on the forum who have proven their expertise satisfactorily to me but reason of having read their posts before. Sometimes when you can't find data, it's because you are looking for an unsuitable combination. This is an excellent forum and many great and knowledgeable people call it home.

Any book should have loads and if not, you can find loads on the powder manufacturers' websites. Either source is excellent.

I hope this helps.

Seeker
11-19-2015, 07:17 PM
My 1911 likes 5.5 grs. of Unique with 230 gr.run boolits.

Yodogsandman
11-19-2015, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the site!

I'd start at the starting load listed for Unique with that bullet or weight bullet and slowly work the load until either an accurate load was reached or you've got up to the maximum load. Please don't rely on the internet for your loads. Use a trusted published manual like the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Manual.

A hardness tester is almost never needed if you know about what you have to work with. The 45ACP is considered to be very forgiving and eats just about anything you feed it. In your case, the 95/5/5 blend is probably a #2 Lyman mix at about 15 BHN. To get the most from it, cut it with pure lead at least in half. That would give about 10 BHN and be a good mix for you. I'd save the 95/5 tin for use in "special" loads like hollow point, self defense loads.

Blackwater
11-19-2015, 08:01 PM
It's just my way, and not necessarily anybody else's, but when using Unique with 200-230 gr. bullets, cast or jacketed, I've always loaded to near max or max, again this is with Unique. Never had much problem with unburned powder, though there is a little. Never caused a problem, though, and those loads have always shot well in all the guns I've used them in, too. Shooting good, full loads keeps one used to the recoil of full power loads, and that can be important if you ever have to use that gun for any serious purpose. Any real savings using a medium burn rate powder like Unique are largely in the user's head, I think. For economy, go to a faster powder so you can get more loads per pound. Unique is a fine .45 ACP powder, and has been a standard in it for eons, but not generally with moderate loads or target rounds. FWIW?

Outpost75
11-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Dupe message deleted

Outpost75
11-19-2015, 08:19 PM
If the lead you have is soft enough to mark with a thumb nail, it isn't harder than about 10 BHN, which will work OK with mild loads if your barrel is in good shape. In a worn barrel with shallow rifling you would prefer something about 12 BHN or harder, like wheelweights, but I've shot alot of 1:25 tin/lead and 1:30 tin/lead in M1911s and if you stay a bit below full hardball charges, the soft alloy will work just fine.

Depending upon how old your springs are, a charge of 5 grains of Unique with a 230 LRN is probably about the lightest which will cycle the pistol reliably, like the other fellow said, about 700 fps. If cycling is sluggish, I would not be afraid to go to 5.5 grains with soft alloy if needed to get reliable function, about 750 fps. 6 grains with Ideal #452374 at 1.24" OAL is a good approximation for GI hardball, about 820-830 fps. A charge of 6.2 grains will get you 850, but I would expect some leading if your alloy is softer than 12 BHN. Do not exceed 7 grain of Unique, which is a max. load giving 900 fps. Good in the Ruger convertible Blackhawk, but I wouldn't use it for a steady diet in a collectible WW2 era M1911.

Once your Unique is gone, when you go powder shopping, WST shotshell powder is by far the powder of choice for accurate, clean-burning loads in the .45 ACP. Start load with 230-grain lead is 4.2 grains for 700 fps, a popular IDPA and IPSC load is 4.8 grains for 800 fps. Max. not to exceed is 5 grains for 830 fps. to approximate hardball.

gray wolf
11-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Unique can sometimes be a pain when it comes to consistent charges being dropped.
If your using a progressive press I would be careful. I use an rcbs uni-flow and have to trickle up every charge.

Now some folks do not have a problem with the way they jiggle and tap tap the powder measure.
I have only been loading for 50+ years and have not reached that level of performance yet.

THE QUOTE BELOW IS NOT ANY KIND OF SLAM
I agree with it 100% do a little homework

Forums are not the first place you look for reloading data; they are the last, and least desirable. Someone could mistype, misread, or even just be plane old crazy. I try not to use forum data unless I am looking up an unusual combination that can't be found in books. Even then, I prefer to hear from people on the forum who have proven their expertise satisfactorily to me but reason of having read their posts before. Sometimes when you can't find data, it's because you are looking for an unsuitable combination. This is an excellent forum and many great and knowledgeable people call it home.

Any book should have loads and if not, you can find loads on the powder manufacturers' websites. Either source is excellent.

I hope this helps.

jcren
11-19-2015, 08:36 PM
Welcome fellow Okie! My 45's like 5.8 grains of unique quite well. When you start tinkering more you might want to look at Lee's 230 tc bullet over 7 grains of hs-6. Every 4-5 inch 45 I have ran this through shot well (much better accuracy than Win white box ball) , feed flawlessly and hit much harder than round nose. Have fun!

country gent
11-19-2015, 08:54 PM
As has been stated above check any data against published data ( perferrable in several diffrent books if possible) to make sure whats beeing given is good safe data. Uniuque is a good powder for alot of handgun rounds including 45 acp. A stand by as is the 230 grn roundnosed bullet. A standard "ball" round is around 870 fps Look in the manuals find the starting load and work up to acceptable functioning reliability and accuracy for your needs.2 lbs of uniuque at around 5 grns will load around 2800 rounds. For a simple plinking load I would shoot for a load in the 750-800 fps range. Higher pressure loads will increase wear on pistol also.

tmc-okc
11-19-2015, 09:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Scarecrow. Where bouts in this Great State be you located ??

scottfire1957
11-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Guns are each unique. An accurate load in 99 firearms may totally suck in yours.

You will have to find an accurate load for your gun yourself.

What is your definition of "accurate?" What is MY definition of "accurate?" See where a problem might arise?

Oklahoma Scarecrow
11-20-2015, 05:41 PM
Good point there. My definition of accurate for a cast lead bullet out of my RI 1911 is being able to put 3 magazines straight into a paper plate size target at 25 yards. Easy to do with my gun with factory, ammo, but have alil trouble with wide shots with the cast.

Oklahoma Scarecrow
11-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Round tulsa area, but north.

Oklahoma Scarecrow
11-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Forums are the last place I go for load data, agreed. I use Hornady 9th edition manual as my go to book. It lists 6.6 as the max load for that bullet with 5.3 being minimum. Im using 5.9 and should be at about 825fps (according to table, but all are different.)

Oklahoma Scarecrow
11-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Blackwater, I didn't buy the unique I have. It was some my father gave me that was from from his 5 pound keg. Im not real crazy about it. It smokes, doesn't fully burn and seems less accurate for all bullets than a ball powder.

dilly
11-20-2015, 06:14 PM
First off, Oklahoma Scarecrow, I want to apologize if my post came off as anything less than friendly.

Welcome to the forum. I live in Springfield so we are just a few hours apart.

Unique has one quality where it beats almost all other powders, and that's versatility. That's about the only list it tops, though. It's pretty slow for an auto handgun powder so in a lot of its normal uses it really is pretty dirty and smokey. At higher pressures it (like any powder) burns a little bit cleaner. It's pretty tough to get a powder measure to throw the same charge every time. Makes bullets go out the barrel, though.

You ought to be able to get the accuracy you're expecting with your reloads unless there is another issue at play. Maybe if you tried working up a ladder load you'd find a sweet spot with the powder charge. Maybe weigh the charges individually just this time around if you were using a measure before.

If nothing else, it's an excuse to get out to the range again.

Let us know if it gets any better.

Oklahoma Scarecrow
11-20-2015, 06:21 PM
Oh no problem. Didnt seem rude at all. Thanks for the advice. Thankfully my range is in my backyard so I dont have far to travel. Ive noticed unique is highly versatile. Another question, im not crazy about the 1r cavity. It doesnt seem to feed as easily as the 2r. Does anyone make a 6 cavity 2r 230 gr with the lube grooves for a lubrisizer?

dilly
11-21-2015, 12:10 AM
Sometimes feeding issues can be overcome by fiddling with overall length, sometimes not.

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/

There is the link to Lee's master list of six cavity molds. Looks like their 2R mold has tumble lube grooves. That honestly wouldn't deter me, but I'll leave that call up to you.

If you go to MidwayUSA, you can sort by almost any parameter of bullet mold from the 4 main production mold manufacturers (RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Saeco) in the 45 caliber.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?sortby=1&itemsperpage=20&dimensionids=4294846309&dimensionids=4294846302&dimensionids=4294846303&newcategorydimensionid=5699

If those don't suit your taste, there are several custom mold manufacturers here that do excellent work. Here are a few of them.

http://noebulletmolds.com/
http://www.accuratemolds.com/
http://www.mp-molds.com/

I just recently got my first custom mold (NOE), because I always asked myself "is it really worth three times the Lee?" It really isn't, until you get a lemon from Lee. Once you've got a lemon mold it can make that price difference not seem so bad. I love my NOE mold, by the way.

Looks like you've got some shopping to do.

Oklahoma Scarecrow
11-21-2015, 08:55 PM
My issue with the tumble lube grooves as you called them (I dont know what they are called) is they dont work well with a lubrisizer or even old-school pan lubing. If someone knows a solution to this problem that would solve my issue. Id just buy a 6cav 2r and be set. The other style (thick grooved) work excelent with both methods of lubing. The 2r bullets feed more reliably in most guns and are more accurate in general from my gun. (I have one in an old style 2 cavity mold.) Hence my issue.

John Boy
11-21-2015, 09:01 PM
What do you think would be an accurate load?
Scarecrow - put this link in your references or print for file ...
45 ACP Load Data ... http://reloadammo.com/45loads.htm

Yodogsandman
11-21-2015, 10:08 PM
My issue with the tumble lube grooves as you called them (I dont know what they are called) is they dont work well with a lubrisizer or even old-school pan lubing. If someone knows a solution to this problem that would solve my issue. Id just buy a 6cav 2r and be set. The other style (thick grooved) work excelent with both methods of lubing. The 2r bullets feed more reliably in most guns and are more accurate in general from my gun. (I have one in an old style 2 cavity mold.) Hence my issue.

Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL) solves that problem. Made from mixing 60% Lee Liquid Alox with 40% Johnsons Liquid Floor Wax. Cast em, squirt a few drops on the bullets in a plastic tub and swirl em around. Set out on a nonstick surface for a few hours and you're done. One light coat will do.

Oklahoma Scarecrow
11-22-2015, 12:38 AM
Uve used liquid lube a few times and i dont think it works that great. Dont get a good enough coverage

Jal5
11-26-2015, 11:02 PM
That BLL WORKS FINE using the Lee 230 2r TL mold for my 45 acp. Two coats using a really tiny amount of lube. Try some you may like it.

pjames32
11-26-2015, 11:35 PM
Welcome to the group. We get hinky when we don't get enough info. Agree this is not the first place to go for load data. I lube/size with White LABEL LUBE (CARNUBA RED) and start with a mid range load usually from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. I too don't like Unique, but if it is free I use it. Be specific with what you ask and RTFM (read the F manual).
PJ

ShooterAZ
11-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Welcome to the forum. Unique works just fine with 45ACP. I use 5.0 to 5.5 with a 230 LRN. It cycles just fine and is accurate. Your accuracy problem may be with the boolit itself, I never had much luck with the tumble lube designs either...and I also don't like (hate) tumble lubing.

If you are interested, I could send you a few RCBS 230 round nose (45-230-RN) boolits for you to try. It's a great design, the only drawback (if it is one), is that is a 2 cavity mold. I would advise steering clear of the TL styles, although some here have had better luck than I with them. I sold off all the TL molds I bought when I first started casting...

The alloy I use is 1/3/96. It's pretty soft, casts well and shoots very well in the 45.

Blackwater
11-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Yodogs gives good advice. If they cast out a bit oversize, but will still chamber easily, you may not need to size. If they balk in chambering, try sizing to .452", and to do that, just apply the BLL as described, and then when the lube has solidified well, just run them through the sizer without cranking any more lube in them - just a simple in and out proceedure. Give it a whirl and let us know how it works out.