bullet maker 57
11-19-2015, 08:58 PM
I like it. I want. I dream.

pretzelxx
11-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Sooner or later that's what I will have

MaryB
11-19-2015, 11:33 PM
Okay I just got lost watching his videos! I love brit wackiness!

tommag
11-20-2015, 12:50 AM
I watched his videos on putting a bike motor into the tuk tuk (whatever that is) sorta like Tim Taylor and James Bond merged into one. Very amusing!

Col4570
11-20-2015, 02:21 AM
His Ejector Bed is amazing,I believe it is his idea of a quirky Alarm Clock for Lazy Bones.I worked with a Bloke who during the Cuban Crisis dug out a Bunker under his Garage and stocked it with Canned Food and Fizzy Drinks.

rondog
11-20-2015, 05:27 AM
Meh, too "doomsday prepper" for me, and waaaaay too expensive.

This is much more to my tastes.... http://twistedsifter.com/2014/09/guy-turns-storage-room-into-rustic-cabin-man-cave/

MrWolf
11-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Always wanted one, keep thinking shipping container.

Hickory
11-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Well, it has promise, I'd change one thing, I'd have not only one but, a second way to escape.

jeepyj
11-20-2015, 11:55 AM
Pretty darn cool, I'd love to have one to customize to my liking that's for sure.
Jeepyj

StolzerandSons
11-20-2015, 01:04 PM
I've watched several of his videos in the past, I enjoyed his campaign and build to fart at France that was kinda funny. He definitely builds some interesting stuff.

BUT if I was going to go to all the trouble to pour that much reinforced concrete I wouldn't bother to build the steel box. It might be a little more work to strip forms and back-fill but it would be a lot cheaper.

And of course there is alwasy the much easier, and more ready built version were you bury a piece of flat bottom culvert and then weld another piece of 4' diameter culvert to the top of it for the entrance pipe. Then you only have to deal with closing up the ends and the concrete is optional since culverts are designed to be buried to begin with.

LaPoint
11-20-2015, 01:26 PM
Rondog, that 'cabin' is much more interesting than the coffin. I keep thinking that if the SHTF battening down the hatches and staying put may not be the best idea. True survival may require a more mobile plan. He did a great job on creating an old time cabin in his basement.

jonp
11-20-2015, 08:36 PM
He has a generator in a concrete enclosed underground bunker. Anyone see a problem with that?

Hickory
11-20-2015, 09:54 PM
He has a generator in a concrete enclosed underground bunker. Anyone see a problem with that?
Maybe the exhaust goes up and out.
Still not a good idea.

OptimusPanda
11-20-2015, 10:18 PM
If he gets a darwin award for carbon monoxide poisoning that's his fault. I still want one.

rondog
11-20-2015, 11:06 PM
Rondog, that 'cabin' is much more interesting than the coffin. I keep thinking that if the SHTF battening down the hatches and staying put may not be the best idea. True survival may require a more mobile plan. He did a great job on creating an old time cabin in his basement.
No kidding, huh? In a tiny little space. Imagine the same in double the space! I could dig it.

Thumbcocker
11-22-2015, 09:06 PM
Little short on provisions and weaponry for my tastes.

jcwit
11-22-2015, 09:13 PM
Money ill spent in my opinion.

smokeywolf
11-22-2015, 09:21 PM
Pretty cool looking fall-out shelter. Couldn't listen to the whole video because I just couldn't stand listening to his classless cockney British English dialect. Why is it they can't seem to pronounce a "T" sound. Instead they just stop breathing; use the "glottal stop". Horribly annoying!

Used to make the kids turn off or turn down "Top Gear" because I couldn't stand listening the hosts speak the low class cockney English.

Plate plinker
11-22-2015, 09:26 PM
Needs wall to wall carpeting.

Bonz
11-23-2015, 06:29 PM
Always wanted one, keep thinking shipping container.

same here

MaryB
11-24-2015, 01:23 AM
I keep thinking shipping container, a lot of foam sheet and plastic around it them a bunch of loads of gravel to bury it in place. But my yard is to small for that unless I move the observatory!

Bonz
11-24-2015, 10:13 AM
I would love to have 3 x 40' containers. Dig a great big hole, place & level them side by side, weld them together, cut out the interior walls and pour a layer of concrete around them. I saw this similar thing done (without the concrete) "above ground" in California when I lived there. It was a very nice 40' x 24' room. They used it to perform maintenance on their forklifts and keep them out of the weather.

RED333
11-24-2015, 11:28 PM
He built it in a neighbor hood and the neighbors saw everything, bad idea.
"If" you build one, do it in the country, do not let the neighbors see what you are doing.
A shipping container cannot take the weight of more than a few inches of dirt before the roof gives.
All the weight on a shipping container is supported by the corners, take a close look at one.
http://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/why-you-shouldnt-bury-a-shipping-container-for-a-shtf-bunker/
Yea I have looked at them and did the home work.

MaryB
11-25-2015, 01:29 AM
I would reinforce the roof before burying one. Around here you can buy abandoned gravel pits cheap, there is on in a south facing hillside that is dry over most of it with a natural year round spring on one side that runs by it. It would be so easy to put 3-4 containers in there, do the welding and reinforcing then push all the top burden back in around them and landscape it so it looks like the door is just part of the hillside. Room to plant solar panels across the top, a wind generator on the valley lip... Last I heard the 45 acres was going for $34,000. None of it is farm-able, the only flat spot is where they dug into the hillside to remove a special kind of gravel/clay mix they wash for the clay then sell the gravel as a byproduct. Rest slopes about 30 degrees and is scrub brush etc. I haven't been out that way recently to see if it still has a for sale by owner sign out front. Had one in front for 3 years...

Col4570
11-25-2015, 03:07 AM
Pretty cool looking fall-out shelter. Couldn't listen to the whole video because I just couldn't stand listening to his classless cockney British English dialect. Why is it they can't seem to pronounce a "T" sound. Instead they just stop breathing; use the "glottal stop". Horribly annoying!

Used to make the kids turn off or turn down "Top Gear" because I couldn't stand listening the hosts speak the low class cockney English.
?//////.Well my accent is a Derbyshire one,just as you have dialects in the USA so do we.All of us do not talk "I say Rodney you are an absolute rotter and a bounder to boot",sort of accent,Actualy those guys on Top Gear are educated and quite eloquent but use the vernacular for the show.Clarkson was educated at Repton School,one of the top class private Schools in the UK.I suppose that those who do these shows think that it is trendy to talk in the clipped" Man of the People" accents.A little anecdote :- when I was working in the USA (1974) I was in Philadelphia for a while staying at Walbers on the Delaware,The Barman could,nt get over my accent and would call people over to listen to me saying something.Up till then I thought I vocalised normally.I enjoyed my 6 month visit there and Worked from Baton Rouge up to Virginia and encountered many accents,even in Copper Hill Tennessee and Parkersburg West Virginia.
Best Regards.

flint45
11-26-2015, 11:49 AM
Great underground workshop.My uncle built aunder ground hideaway in the desert about 25 years ago with containers and braced up the roofs lots of extra steel.About 5 miles east of Goff's.

smokeywolf
11-27-2015, 12:43 AM
Col4570,
I am aware that the "Top Gear" cast were highly educated. Still can't stand to listen to them murder "the King's English". The accent can be very pleasant to listen to. Worked with an electronics engineer from England for several years. Aside from being brilliant, his grammar and diction were faultless.

Please don't take offense. I also have trouble listening to poorly spoken English ("Americanese" as my mother used to call it) by U.S. born individuals. Drives me crazy to hear someone end a sentence with the word "at". e.g., "Where are you "at"?" "Where is it "at"?" Unless "at" is the name of the person to whom one is speaking, why in the world would anyone add the word "at" after the phrase "Where are you?", "Where is it?" or "Where was it?"?

Ebonics? That came into existence because people were either too lazy or too ignorant to learn even minimally acceptable English.

Sorry, going off on another rant.

Rant over.