PDA

View Full Version : AA No.9

warboar_21
11-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Quick question for those who use this powder. Is this powder the same size as No. 7?

I tried using No. 7 in my Lee powder thrower (auto pro disc) and it made a heck of a mess. I loaded around a hundred rounds last night and had powder all over the bench. I cleaned up the mess and switched over to blue dot for the remainder of the loads.

Everything I have read says No.9 is the powder of choice for the 357 Sig and I would like to use it if it doesn't make such a mess.

Schrag4
11-19-2015, 01:43 PM
I don't know, but I suspect it's very similar in size. I read recently on one of these forums how someone had a similar problem until they cleaned their measure. I wish I had the link, there was some good advice in that thread. I'm sure someone will come along to fill in the details that I'm lacking.

Schrag4
11-19-2015, 01:45 PM
I guess it didn't take long for me to find:

http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/powder-leak-learned-something.1599689/

warboar_21
11-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the link. When I first started using the Lee I had no issues with it with powder like hp 38/231. This is the first time I have used no.7 in the powder thrower. It seemed to be finer than the other powders though.

williamwaco
11-19-2015, 02:11 PM
I don't know about grain size but it flows like greased water and it is going to make the mess you are describing.

bstone5
11-19-2015, 02:19 PM
AA No.9

No.9 works well in the 357 SIG since the load is a compressed load, helps eliminate bullet set back while firing.

No.9 is the only powder I have used to load the 357 SIG, works very well.

I use a cast 125 grain bullet that has been powder coated with a tall gas check, I make the gas checks for this bullet in a 357 SIG.

The tall gas check stays in in the neck so it does not get pushed off when the bullet travels thru the neck of the case.

Maximumbob54
11-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Most of the Accurate powders are a fine ball powder. Agree on the keep the wiper and disk clean as posted above. I used to use a lot of Bullseye (back when it was available all day every day) and when a long run was done it would eventually start to build up on the wiper. A quick wipe and it was good to go again.

osteodoc08
11-19-2015, 02:43 PM
AA#9 is a fine ball powder. I've ised it and 124gr XTP in my Sig exclusively and it works well. Not sure about the powder dispenser issue though.

fecmech
11-19-2015, 03:41 PM
The problem with the fine ball powders is the clearance between the measure and the bushing is too large which lets the powder get between the bushing and measure. I am not that familiar with the auto pro disc but if there is some way to decrease clearance via shim etc you could cut the leakage down.

Green Frog
11-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Both AA #7 and #9 meter well, but you need a good powder measure. The words "good powder measure" and "plastic internal parts" do not belong in the same sentence without exclusionary wording. I have gotten quite satisfactory results with both using rotary-type measures such as Little Dandy™, Accumeasure™, etc and of course the Lyman #5 and #55 as well as the old standard B&M™ and the newer adjustable drum types too numerous to mention. If you don't mind spending the money and really want the best, by the appropriately sized Harrell™. Powder measures are not the place to cut costs excessively. The preceding comes from a powder measure collector of sorts, so I write from experience and with confidence... YMMV, but I doubt it!

Froggie

Tackleberry41
11-19-2015, 04:51 PM
The Lee powder measures just make a mess with those fine grain type powders. Only shims would be ones you make yourself, and to make it tight enough not to leak, it will bind up.

c1skout
11-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Both of my pro auto disc measures leak more W231 than they do accurate #9 or 7. I thought the fine powder would make a big mess but luckily on mine it doesn't.

tazman
11-19-2015, 06:01 PM
I have been using AA7 for my 9mm heavy boolits. I am using a Lee auto-disk pro and have not had the trouble you describe. I did get a new wiper for the measure before I started using it(I bought the measure used). I have loaded several thousand rounds over the last few years using that combination with no issues.

Deep Six
11-19-2015, 06:45 PM
Having used both, yes #7 and #9 are about the same grain size. Neither is quite as fine as #2 though. FWIW I've never had any "leakage" using them in my Hornady LNL powder measures.

Tackleberry41
11-19-2015, 10:56 PM
With the Lee disc type measures, its variations in thickness of the discs can decide if it leaks or not, more so if your stacking 2 of them. Maybe you replaced the reservoir and things are different. And you really can't crank down on those screws holding it together and its mostly plastic. I was going to load up some 45 colt with 296, ran a few thru it, saw how much was already working its way out, 100 and powder be everywhere. Did it the slow way. Some are worse than others, AA #2 is nearly dust.

warboar_21
11-19-2015, 11:29 PM
I may solve this issue with just breaking down and doing what I should've done years ago. Buy a Dillon and be done with it.

bstone5
11-19-2015, 11:39 PM
I use one of the cheap Lee four hole presses for pistol reloading.
I tried the Lee powder measure with the discs and gave up with the mess and powder leakages.
Leaked a lot with Hp-38 powder which I use a lot since I have several 8 pounds bottles.
Went back to the Jones powder measure.
Putting the powder in as a separate step helps in not accidentally putting in a double charge.

warboar_21
11-21-2015, 01:43 PM
Well I just set up the Dillon 550 last night. I tried out both AA No. 7 and AA No. 9 in it. It ran smooth and no leaks. Unfortunately the place I bought the press at didn't have 357 Sig or 40 S&W/10mm so I will have to order both. I picked up 45 Colt and .223 Rem but I will return today and pick up the 38spl/357mag and some more powder.

ole 5 hole group
11-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Well, didn't take long to fix that problem.;) I would have recommended the Hornady LnL for the money and ease of caliber change-overs but that 550 will do you just fine.

warboar_21
11-21-2015, 04:54 PM
My buddy had the LNL AP when they first came out. He had a few issues with it and once fixed decided to sell it and get the Dillon. In fairness Hornady took good care of him.
I have only ever heard of a few people who had issues with Dillon and those were with the square deal budget press.

williamwaco
11-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Ok. Help me out!

what is a wiper?

tazman
11-22-2015, 12:42 AM
The Lee Pro Autodisk has a plastic/teflon piece that sets between the hopper and the disk that serves to make the fit tighter and "wipe" the top of the disk during operation.

williamwaco
11-22-2015, 11:50 AM
The Lee Pro Autodisk has a plastic/teflon piece that sets between the hopper and the disk that serves to make the fit tighter and "wipe" the top of the disk during operation.

Like a shim?

c1skout
11-22-2015, 12:29 PM
no, more like a gasket or O-ring

tazman
11-22-2015, 12:35 PM
Here is a picture of the part.153938
It fits in the bottom of the hopper carriage and wipes the top of the disk as the measure operates. In my setups it works well and eliminates the leakage.