PDA

View Full Version : 327 PC (Jerry Miculek model)

XBT
04-12-2008, 07:42 PM
I am considering the purchase of a Smith & Wesson 327 PC, the one with the Scandium frame and titanium cylinder and barrel shroud. It is a .357 cal. built on the “N” frame and has an eight shot cylinder and five inch barrel.

I wonder about the long-term durability of these exotic metals in handguns. Opinions are welcome.

Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Lloyd Smale
04-13-2008, 06:19 AM
There has been some definate durablility and quality control problems with the light weight smiiths. Theres been some 329s and 396s that have blown up and alot that have got shot loose and other smaller problems. My own 396 has been to the factory 3 times for work. Once because the cylinder would unlock and rotate backwards. Once for timming issues and once becuause the crane lock in the front of the ejector rod froze up. I also have a 646 .40 sw that has been back because it would not extract ammo. even factory ammo would require you to pound out the cases. Even after there repair its basically better with light loads as it can get sticky fast. It also was back once for timing issures. Not to be fair i shoot the snot out of my guns. Probably much more then the average guy would. These guns are neat guns. But in my opionion there made for someone that carrys alot and shoots a little. the will not hold up in the long run to constant shooting. what really makes me shake my head is the 327pc and the 646 were basicaly made for competition shooting and they had to realize that they would be shot alot. Long story short both of mine have been traded off. I can find more durable guns that will do the same thing. Id still like to have a 329 though but if i do it will be a carrry gun that isnt shot much. I guess a guy could load it so stiff that you wouldnt want to shoot the thing!!

, once for timing issues

Bret4207
04-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Were it me I'd be putting my money into one of the "Retro" models.