PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Boots and Boot Jacks

Boyscout
11-18-2015, 08:35 PM
A month ago I asked the members how to take off rubber boots. The boot jack seemed like the best option. Well, I looked up a plan on the internet, made a crude one out of scrap lumber and put it to the test last weekend in deer camp. It will now be part of my regular hunting gear and I may even try to make a better (nicer looking one).

I was able to take off my Irish Setter Rut Masters with no effort and no help from anyone in camp. I made the cut out for the heel a little big and may try a strip of rubber inside the U to take up a little space. No plastic bags or slick inner socks just good fitting wool sock like I prefer.

richhodg66
11-18-2015, 10:18 PM
I wear knee high rubber boots for all my deer hunting until it gets cold enough for my Sorrels (I seem to have lousy physiology for staying warm, so I break those pac boots out a lot sooner than most guys probably would). Seems like I see brass or cast iron boot jacks at antique stores and such from time to time, maybe I should pick one up.

Mk42gunner
11-20-2015, 02:27 PM
They can be even simpler than the one Boyscout shows. When we were kids, Dad had my older brother and I each make one. A 1x6 about 16 inches long, (give or take a couple of inches) with a vee notch ~60 degrees and a 2x4 block under it.

We didn't really need two of them, I think it was more to show us the practicality of the small tool kits he had given us.

Robert