PDA

View Full Version : As luck would have it ........

ZippyHillbilly
11-18-2015, 03:26 PM
I guess bein a hillbilly gots it's perks. Been reading the site for months, joined recently. Folks is been very helpful. Have a pile of lead/alloy/babbitt and such. Tested it all for hardness using carbine tree unit. (I originally thought this whole thing was going to save me money". Anyways .... about a 1/4 mile away from me is metal scrap yard. Called to ask if the y sold scrap lead? Nope Then asked if they had a alloy testing unit of some sorts. Yep! They were slightly apprehensive till I was honest about why I was asking. Then they said ... SURE ... we don't have a problem testing some stuff for ya now and again. BOOM! Happy HillBilly here! :)

bigjake
11-18-2015, 05:24 PM
Maybe you can get lead tested for folks like BNE does.

ZippyHillbilly
11-18-2015, 11:27 PM
Well I guess I did not think of this as something to take away from a long time member and fellow like BNE. I also don't wanna push the boundries of someone willing to do me a hillbilly favor either. I'm sure folks understand.

RogerDat
11-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Yep they are doing you a favor and you sure don't want to abuse it. Bringing them a thank you box of donuts and cider, pizza or something to show appreciation can go a long way toward making you welcome. Never know they may end up being willing to sell you some lead eventually.

They test some nice rich alloy and you comment how you will need to find 100 lbs. of plain lead or WW's to cut that alloy with to cast bullets and who knows, they may just decide the nice fellow that brought the donuts in can buy 100# of lead after all. Just a tip if they get paid on Friday money for snacks or lunch tends to be getting a bit short by Thursday. If the roach coach food truck comes around it may not come around on Saturday making that a day when a little something to munch is especially welcome.

I also find that being honest about what the lead is for is the best policy. Honesty works best as a general rule in most things. If they want to say "no" because of it at least they won't be bad mouthing you for deceiving them. Now pewter from thrift store or garage sale? There I'm not big on mentioning that those lovely candlesticks are destined to be a puddle in my pot on their way to being bullet alloy. Folks sometimes consider that sort of destructive, where taking scrap lead and making something is seen as creative.

Nose Dive
11-23-2015, 10:52 PM
OK buddy... This is a PART OF THE HOBBY.....

if a buddy has or does something for your.... RETURN THE FAVOR.... GIVE BACK... this is part of 'us'...part of the hobby....

If the fellas drink beer...maybe drop by with a have dozen or so cans and 'lose them' at the appropriate place.....

I make deer sausage.... I also get about 500 or 600 lbs of wheel weights from a tire shop here in San Antonio. To date....no money has changed hands but... 'they' get about 100 lbs of home made deer sausage every January...and some beer from time to time.... my home made..hand made sausage... my effort...my thanks and gratitude for the wheel weights....

If you don't 'show thanks'...for things done for 'you'.... your missing a big piece of this sight. Score a PIZZA special from the pizza shop?...grab an extra one...extra large...extra toppings...and drop it by for the fellas at the yard.... Make sure they see your face...see your pizza ...and haul ***.

Nose Dive

Cheap, fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

BNE
11-23-2015, 11:07 PM
If they will test for you or others then good for you. No offense taken here.

I have made a friend of the owner of a local scrap yard. The initial meeting was through a project at work and I called his scrap yard for help in hauling off old equipment. I found out he is also a shooter.... He likes .45 and 38s. I have been able to supply a few "Samples" and he has given me some lead in return. The other day, he jokingly asked if I could use this bucket full of old pewter cups!!!! He would only let me pay him $0.50 per pound! That cost me $5 and a box of 38s.

The advice given above works. Treat those guys right and it will eventually pay you back.

ZippyHillbilly
11-24-2015, 12:55 PM
I am well aware. Bein a hillbilly and all .... we is used ta doin things in the above fashion. We do favors for each other all the time. Thanks for the advice folks.

typz2slo
11-25-2015, 06:21 PM
I can analyze your lead for you if you are interested. I have access to a XRF gun at work. Let me know and I will be glad to help.