PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Casting Book Recommendation?

beeser
11-18-2015, 10:51 AM
I plan to start casting bullets soon and would like to get a book on the subject or other source to guide me. Any recommendations? Also, I have a Lee furnace and RCBS lube-sizer that was given to me. What else do I need to get started? Where do I purchase lead?

Larry Gibson
11-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Look in used book stores for a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3, it's the best for new beginners. Lyman's currently available #4 CBH is also worth having but the useful information for the beginner isn't all there as it is in the #3 CBH.

Larry Gibson

Sensai
11-18-2015, 11:22 AM
Mr. Gibson beat me to it, but you can't go wrong by following his advice. My other recommendation would be to go online to the Los Angeles Silhouette Club (lasc.us) and download Glen Fryxell and Robert Applegate's "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners". If you read and reference those two items you'll be pretty far along in this endeavor.

jmort
11-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Agree, Lyman 3rd and 4th and the link at the bottom of the page:

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Here is source for reprint of Lyman's 3rd

http://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=4455

OnHoPr
11-18-2015, 01:59 PM
I agree with the above as well as the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd. There are a few more. They should get you to hit a target and a deer. Though, there are a few slightly different concepts to them. Then come to this sight and you will see a number of different things to scratch your head even more especially when trying to understand the underlying concepts. A lot of loads in the Lyman 3rd will throw you for accuracy when you actually start looking for loads. The weapon and twist as what you plan on shooting will narrow the selections as well as your own personal style. The LASC is more prone to the handgun. A lot of reading and a bit of testing will help. The baselines will be addressed in most part though.

That is a question on how to get started. What do you plan on casting for, rifle, handgun, or shotgun?

gwpercle
11-18-2015, 02:46 PM
If you can , get both the #3 and #4 Editions of Lyman Cast bullet Handbook. Be aware Lyman also has another Reloading guide that has cast and J-word data in it but you want the Cast Bullet Handbook.
There is a lot of information in both the #3 and #4 Editions. Especially for beginners the #3 has a lot of info not found elsewere.

Jmort,
Thanks for the heads up on #3 reprint, mine is starting to fall apart and a reprint would be a nice Christmas present.
Gary

jmort
11-18-2015, 02:57 PM
The reprint is of decent quality. I can recommend it as opposed to getting a used one off ebay.

dudel
11-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Lyman 3rd and 4th. Get them both. 4th includes data for molds other than Lyman. A good addition.

beeser
11-20-2015, 10:38 AM
I just obtained Lyman's 4th and after reading part way into the book I'm a little disappointed with the quality of the pictures. They look like they are multi-generation copies and lack the clarity of good photos. After reading only part way into the book I still haven't found any suggestions on which type of mould to purchase, aluminum, steel, etc.

I will be casting pistol bullets with an emphasis on bullseye type accuracy.

Larry Gibson
11-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Beesor

What cartridge?

What pistol?

There is a wealth of factual information available but you've got to narrow it down a bit so we can give the best possible answers.

Larry Gibson

Blackwater
11-20-2015, 12:10 PM
All of the above suggestions are great. One of the best you'll ever get with regard to understanding the process, how to go about it, how to cast really good, well filled out, consistent bullets that will shoot with great accuracy is right in front of you. Just read back through the archives, and when you've read through 20 or more pages, you'll have a better start than most of us old timers who started with very little but maybe what we had read in magazines. Info on casting used to be pretty good, and very purposeful, but most of what you get today in the slick glossies is just dogmatic "rules" that don't always really apply. Older writers used to try to convey good ideas and info, whereas today's writers are so afraid due to the shyster lawyers out there just waiting to sue somebody for somebody else's stupidity or neglect, that they mostly try to build walls of "rules" to keep themselves from being sued. The difference in intent matters, and limits what can be transferred via those slick glossies.

You'll never find a better asset than this board right here. I sure wish I'd had it way back when I started. My learning curve would have been much steeper and much higher. Great guys here and tons and tons of info and knowledge on all sorts of subjects that are peripheral and just plain interesting to us caster/shooters. The manuals are great primers. Here, all that gets refined, and your perceptions sharpened. It'll never get any better than that.

bangerjim
11-20-2015, 12:21 PM
Get the #3 reprint from Cornells. I have one and is excellent quality. Buy a NEW#4 at your local sporting store. Must have. Also a NEW Lee hardback book has lots of data the Lyman does not have as far as boolit weights and powder loads. All 3 are my go-to books for all my cast loading. I do not do FMJ's. All the other books are devoted to THEIR brand of commercial jacketed boolit.

Get IDEAS and SUGGESTIONS from here. Do NOT use load data from any forum without verification against published data........and your own common sense!

Spend the $$$ for the books! They are not that expensive for the value they bring. And NEW books do not have marks, grease, dirt, garbage, tears, carp on the pages!

bangerjim

Maximumbob54
11-20-2015, 02:27 PM
If you are going to buy lead I would buy some here but to really get a leg up I would buy some ready to go alloy from either MBC or Roto Metals. Either will give you good clean lead that will be of a known alloy instead of just unknown scrap that who knows how much will quench or age harden if any at all.

OnHoPr
11-20-2015, 03:11 PM
The reason for the content of my post above is because different concepts are in each of the writings and there is a wide spectrum to cast for leaving a scratch the head which door should I pick from door #1, 2, or 3. Lee's baseline concepts has to do with alloy hardness and the pressures the alloy will take for accuracy. Lyman's uses Lyman's No. 2 alloy which is fairly hard for under a lot of cast velocities and will have a hard time mushrooming on game if that is what you want out of a boolit. LASC's baseline concepts are to obturate the boolit for a good seal. Go read the LASC site, it will give you a good baseline for handgun shooting with cast. So, for ecksample, if you were shooting a Marlin and read the LASC site you might want to get the boolit to obturate while most size a couple of thousands over for the larger bores and micro groove barrels. Another for ecksample, if you took Lyman's concept and was shooting a 7mm or higher 30 cal with the No. 2 and the 1 in 9 or 10 twist with a lot of the fast powders they mention in their loads you might find it hard to get a good group @ plus 2000 fps @ 100 yds starting off with boolit fits and such. This is where the Lee manual mentions about alloy hardness with pressures accumulated. If you are wanting to shoot pistol let me reiterate the LASC concepts and site as it will give you a better understanding of how to shoot something like the Keith 44 at optimum velocities where the other references might lead you to different concepts on shooting cast. These are in general noobie conditions as there are some on this site that are different and have their own philosophies with their weapons, style of shooting, and conditions for which they shoot in that maybe be unknowningly bias towards your particular interest or needs. Are you going to shoot plain base or GCed?

SSGOldfart
11-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Look in used book stores for a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3, it's the best for new beginners. Lyman's currently available #4 CBH is also worth having but the useful information for the beginner isn't all there as it is in the #3 CBH.

Larry Gibson
Yep after you get this one look for RCBS cast bullets manual#1,and grow from there

dragon813gt
11-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Lee's book is one you want to have. It has the most load data because it's simply a reprint from the sources. Some people find Richard Lee's style hard to swallow. I find it amusing. He is pitching his own products so I'd expect nothing less. There is a lot of very basic information in it which is invaluable.

I have the Lyman CB Handbooks. Both are very underwhelming IMO. But you can never have enough books in your library.

W/out a doubt "From Ingot to Target" is the best book written. Covers every aspect of casting. You will read it multiple times and learn something each time. I've lost count of how many times I've read it.

Ole Joe Clarke
11-20-2015, 06:42 PM
The NRA Handloader's Guide from back in the 70's or so is a good one, along with the above mentioned books. Reading before you dive in will sometimes help you dodge the rocks and stumps.

Yodogsandman
11-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Add "Cast Bullets" by E. H. Harrison to the list

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-archives/nra-reprints/170-cast-bullets

and also the NRA Cast Bullet Supplement 1

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-archives/nra-reprints/166-nra-cast-bullet-supplement-1

bangerjim
11-20-2015, 07:09 PM

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/the-archives/nra-reprints/166-nra-cast-bullet-supplement-1

Those both come up as "file not avaialble" Ideas?

AKbushman49
11-20-2015, 07:09 PM
Add "Cast Bullets with Jacketed Bullet Performance" by Veral Smith to the list.

JSnover
11-20-2015, 07:24 PM
After reading only part way into the book I still haven't found any suggestions on which type of mould to purchase, aluminum, steel, etc.

I will be casting pistol bullets with an emphasis on bullseye type accuracy.

I think your technique and the quality of your alloy will be more important than the material for your blocks. I have aluminum and steel and I have had no problems with either, they all throw consistent weights and diameters. One of these days I'll try brass and I expect the same results. The difference is how long they take to warm up and how quickly you need to cast in order to maintain the temperature.

Uncle Grinch
11-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Since I shoot jacketed bullets occasionally, I rely on Ken Waters PET LOADS quite a bit. He does cover cast on some loads and his dissertation is very knowledgeable.

Yodogsandman
11-20-2015, 08:29 PM

Sorry, can't help you, they both come up for me. Both are listed in "Castpics" under the heading "The Archives", "NRA reprints".

mongoose33
11-20-2015, 08:36 PM

They worked for me tonite....maybe the site was down. The first link is intact, the second is...empty.

beeser
11-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Beesor

What cartridge?

What pistol?

There is a wealth of factual information available but you've got to narrow it down a bit so we can give the best possible answers.

Larry Gibson
The cartridge I'll like to focus on first is .45 ACP and either a 185 or 200 gr. SWC. The pistol is a 1911. If all goes well I would like to cast bullets for my .32 ACP Pardini. Those would also be SWCs.

mongoose33
11-21-2015, 12:36 PM

Since I shoot jacketed bullets occasionally, I rely on Ken Waters PET LOADS quite a bit. He does cover cast on some loads and his dissertation is very knowledgeable.

I always forget to mention this--thanks for bringing it up. The Waters book is tremendous. Not cheap, but worth more than every penny. Not a cast book as you note, but still....

beeser
11-22-2015, 05:40 PM
I'm almost finished reading Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th and will probably dive into another book afterwards. I just purchased a H&G #130, 4 cavity mould. Hopefully it works well. As mentioned before I already have a Lee furnace. I mistakenly purchased some lead at a local scrap yard. My reading so far suggests I would've been better served by purchasing a more reliable alloy from Rotometals, et al. I still may do that to make it easier on myself to start. Only need a few more things and I'll be good to go.

MtGun44
11-23-2015, 02:01 AM
Glen Fryxell's book it pretty much all you need.

Victor N TN
11-24-2015, 09:37 PM
I have a Lyman's #4 handbook on the arm of the couch where I was just looking up some loads. My favorite book for casting.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Another fine book to recommend is titled, The Art of bullet Casting"....a collection of articles done by several known names and published---still in print by Wolfe Publishing. IIRC the editor was Jim Carmichael who was editor for a while of Field and Stream. Great stuff on the pros and cons of ladle casting vs bottom pour plus many innovative tricks to help improve quality of cast bullets. An informative reference. LLS