PDA

View Full Version : Goex Olde eynsford?

reloader4410
11-18-2015, 12:21 AM
anyone tried some, claims not to have graphite in it? wouldn't this be a good pan powder? also have a person making home made, wouldn't this be better for pan powder? thanks, & keep your powder dry.

rodwha
11-18-2015, 08:50 AM
I use it and really like it. I know nothing of the claim and I'm not sure how one would be able to tell.

What's wrong with graphite?

451 Pete
11-18-2015, 09:45 AM
I have used the Olde Eynsford in 2 fg and 3 fg granulations. It burns leaving less residue in the barrel ( fouling ) than other powders. In a long barreled 32 cal. squirrel rifle using the 3 fg Olde Eynsford I can get 10 - 11 shots off before needing a damp patch to keep loading and seating of the patch and ball easily accomplished where with other powders after 3-4 shots a damp patch is needed. I'm not sure as to whether this has anything to do with graphite content of lack of graphite in the powder and as the rifle is a percussion I cant say how it would act in a flint pan.... I just know it is nice to go out for a days hunt and not have to carry all the assorted necessary things to be able to wipe out the barrel in the field.

Pete

reloader4410
11-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Well was just thinking it might be faster without. thanks.

Omnivore
11-18-2015, 06:46 PM
I heard the graphite meme long before Old Eynsford came out. Don't know if any of it is true. Some say that the "G" in "FFG", "FFFG" et al stands for graphite. Don't know. Doesn't matter. It could just as well stand for "Granulation". The manufacturers keep that a secret.

Anyway, Old E is slightly denser, and it is a little bit more powerful than regular Goex when metered from the same volumetric measure. There are claims floating about regarding just about any powder, saying it's either more "dirty" or less "dirty" or that it is more corrosive or less corrsive, and you'll hear each claim regarding any powder. Doesn't matter - you use the fouling mitigation technique that is adequate for the powder being used, and you clean properly after shooting, and you don't have any problems. Old E is a little more powerful on a volume-for-volume basis than regular Goex (I've only tried it in 3F granulation so take that for what it's worth), but I haven't compared it to other powders on a weight-for-weight basis and it is after all sold by the pound. It compares closely to Swiss (which is also said to be either more dirty or less dirty depending on who is talking and when they are talking), but Old E is cheaper than Swiss.

Old E is only slightly more expensive than regular Goex, so there's no reason not to try it unless you're totally satisfied with your regular Goex load.

FrontierMuzzleloading
11-19-2015, 01:02 AM
a little more powerful than goex is an understatement. It compares very closely to swiss. I can use 90gr 2fg OE which shoots only 4fps slower than 100gr goex 2fg.

Its been a great powder so far and more shooters are picking up on it. $10-15 less per can than swiss.

swathdiver
11-19-2015, 06:58 AM
It's good powder, Goex made it to compete with Swiss and it does at half the cost.

In our guns, it burns cleaner than regular Goex and about the same as Graf's Schuetzen powder.

If it' not a flash in the pan product, I'll sight in our sixguns and rifles for it.

Hanshi
11-19-2015, 04:14 PM
I've never used OE but know others who have. It gives velocities similar to Swiss but the cost is much less.