PDA

View Full Version : black powder powder measure

badgeredd
04-12-2008, 04:01 PM
For all you learned/experienced reloaders, I have a question. Is there an inexpensive black power measure? Or can one make up a brass chamber cylinder for the more plentiful smokeless measures? Any ideas or suggestions? I'm out of work right now so CHEAP is the key word. My labor is free for myself so I'm wondering if I could convert a smokeless measure safely. Give me your thoughts please!

Baron von Trollwhack
04-12-2008, 05:56 PM
A Lee plastic dipper set will work just fine, or a muzzleloader's brass sliding tube measure for about the same price.

I use my old Lyman with the plastic hopper tube, and combination brass & steel sliders, as it's so old the instructions still include black powder use.
BvT

hunter64
04-12-2008, 06:30 PM
If you want to go cheap then get one from track of the wolf http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(tosaxv3040ikjdnoqsgbg1au))/CATEGORIES/PARTDETAIL.ASPX?CATID=2&SUBID=188&STYLEID=914&PARTNUM=MAS-120

This one goes from 0 to 120. Very easy to use and comes with its own funnel for easy pouring and for 12 bucks you cant beat it.

.45ACP = 28gr. FFFG Goex
.40 S&W = 20gr. FFFG Goex
9mm = 14gr. FFFG Goex

Just fill them to the rim and you get approximately the stated amount. A steel framed revolver you cant over charge.

04-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I make a measure for my various guns when I settle on whatever loading works best for the application. Once I find the quantity, I bore out hole in, anything really,...... brass, antler, Walnut, Oak, etc. that fill to that level. I come from cheap, and this works for me.