PDA

View Full Version : .303 British / Golden State Arms

atr
11-17-2015, 01:51 PM
I found .303 British sporterized by a company called Golden State Arms. That name was on the barrel and the barrel appeared to be a replacement of the original. Can anyone tell me anything about Golden State Arms and did they in fact replace barrels on .303 British actions?
What was most interesting was the stock on this rifle...a very very nice piece of walnut with a cheek piece.
thanks
atr

Der Gebirgsjager
11-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Golden State Arms was a going concern back in the late '50s and throughout the '60s. They sporterized many .303 British rifles in a couple of different grades of finish and wood. I've never owned one, but I've never heard anything bad about them, and in fact have heard and read many favorable reports. I purchased my first high power rifle, a No.1 Mk.III* Lee Enfield from them in 1958. I still have one of their books which is now very hard to come by. My rifle was "as-issued" and I've kept it that way.

tbx-4
11-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Yes, GSA replaced barrels... I have a GSA Santa Fe 1946 .30-06. It's a WWII K98 action with newer medium taper barrel, sport stock and Weaver K4-E scope... Nice rifle from the early '60s.

Here's a link to some interesting history on Golden State Arms.
http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_santafe.html

Geezer in NH
11-18-2015, 08:00 PM
I bought 1 of their jungle carbines. Rear sight was a Williams fool proof. Cleaned it up and sprayed with flat black paint. Bought it about 1970 for 25 bucks. Shot it a lot with 8 dollar a hundred WWII ammo. Cleaned the bore and de-coppered it after a few thousand rounds.

It was my favorite kick around rifle, shot deer and many snow shoe hares with it. My sister and brother in-law moved back to his family homestead in northern NH and they needed a rifle for the farm so I gave it to him. The gun did duty as a farm everything rifle from slaughtering beef and hogs to deer hunting and varmint control.

38 years later his youngest son posses his departed dad's rifle on his farm in Kaintuck where it still doing the same work.

Idaho Mule
11-18-2015, 11:28 PM
My son Justin killed his bull elk with one this year in October. Story is in the Hunting section. JW

JeffinNZ
11-18-2015, 11:38 PM
All the old adverts I have seen for GS showed Lee Enfields with issue barrels.

tbx-4
11-19-2015, 12:44 PM
GSA rebuilt so many rifles in various flavors that there's no way they cataloged them all. I've seen various No1 MkIII's and No4 MkI's rebuilt in to "Jungle Carbines". Some No4's looked like very good No5 clones, the No1's looked like a close but not quite clone and some just looked like a hunting sporter but they all had "Jungle Carbine" rolled stamped on the barrel. Variations of parts and stocks abounded...

When they got to the bottom of the barrel, the real ratty guns (and they sold them in barrels) would be pieced together with any good parts available or even throw in a few new parts to make a sell-able firearm.... Like my K98. They were into selling mil-surp not standard model guns and they did whatever it took to get them out the door... This was before "rare and collectible" was used to describe a Lee Enfield, K98 or '03 Springfield. They were just old guns sold in barrels inexpensively.

Yes, they made some nice sport conversions but this was a small portion of their sales and subject to change with out notice.

nekshot
11-19-2015, 03:37 PM
I turned one into a I pc unit. Figuered the gun was not worth much because of the work they did, very nice barrel and metal sights and awesome walnut wood that I am sitting on waiting for a 303 with bad wood.

RustyReel
11-19-2015, 06:59 PM
I have one of their Mountaineer No 4 rifles. Sorta their mid-grade Lee Enfield sporter. I don't think the barrel was replaced but it does look like it was turned down somewhat to remove all the proof marks and the caliber was stamped near the receiver. This version had open sights (originally they were black) and came with a Santa Fe marked 5 round mag. Their entry grade sporters were simply No 4's with the forend shortened. Their highest grade, I believe it was called a Superior, was/is a very nice rifle. I think they are similar to the Parker Hale conversions.

Anyway, my Mountaineer came completely spray painted black. It cleaned up pretty nice. Someone added the Williams side mount (they were not D/Ted originally). It's a handly little rifle. Sorry, I have not shot it with cast.....yet.