PDA

View Full Version : thinking about powder coating

sandman228
11-17-2015, 01:16 PM
ive been thinking about powder coating my 9mm bullets . ive been watching vids on you tube and ive read some posts on it in this forum, I was planning on trying the tumble method at 1st . I remember a post I read in the past on here where the poster says he sizes after powder coat im wondering how this is possible without taking the powder coat off the bullets? im currently casting a lee 120 gr tc bullet and at this time im tumble lubing them . the last batch of 2500 bullets I casted dropped at .358-.359 I even had a few drop at .360 I resize them to .356 . the reason im thinking of powder coating is for my glock 19 ,yes I bought a lone wolf barrel for it but I decided to try some cast through the factory barrel last weekend and it seems to shoot better stock, the barrel leaded a little bit but the accuracy and poa seemed allot better .

Smoke4320
11-17-2015, 03:22 PM
if cured at the correct temp and time . Powder coating will cling to the bullet like a homeless man to Gov cheese

douglasskid
11-17-2015, 04:20 PM
Have PC over 18,000 bullets. Tried HF powder, but when trying the powder available from smoke4320, there was no comparison. His powder works great.

twc1964
11-17-2015, 08:17 PM
I pc all of my boolits. 45Acp, 9mm, 38 spl and 30/30. The pc will even be on the boolits after firing, if you dont nhit rocks or other jard stuff. It will go thru a sizer like greased owl poo and wont come off if your bare lead bullets are grease free. Pc is just a cleaner, less messy way of lubing. Try it either in tumble method or pc gun. Use a cool whip bowl and a handful of black airsoft bb's and a tablespoon or two of powder and shake and swirl boolits around and bake. Good to go. Sorry if im a bit long winded but im pretty stoked on this method.

fredj338
11-17-2015, 08:18 PM
Remember when sizing, you are squeezing the bullet down, not scraping off mat'l. I have had issues with PC or HT coming off during sizing if the bullet is quite large. A shot of OneShot solves this.

mongoose33
11-17-2015, 10:57 PM
If you're concerned about sizing taking the PC off the boolits, do this:

Take a PC'd boolit and smash it with a 3-pound hammer. The PC won't come off if you did it properly.

Here's an example:

You *can* scrape PC off the boolit--if you don't expand a casemouth enough you might possibly do that, but for the most part, it's pretty robust stuff.