PDA

View Full Version : Loading 9mm On A Redding Big Boss II

ArrowJ
11-16-2015, 10:17 PM
I loaded for handgun on a single stage press years ago and enjoyed it. I like the tedium and did not shoot more than 2,000-3,000 rounds a year.

I want to start again and am not interested in buying one single stage press for handgun calibers now and one for rifle later on. If I buy the RBB2 will I run into problems using it for 9mm? It seems like I heard rumblings of dies being too short and the stroke being too long etc.

dudel
11-17-2015, 10:01 AM
That *might* be a problem with Lee dies. Lee dies have the shortest threaded portion on the die body of most any die set out there. When I use them on my 550b, I have to thread the lock nut on from under the toolhead. The dies have to be threaded almost fully into toolhead, and there is no room on top for the lock nut. Other die sets have longer threaded body which allow for more adjustment.

I'd be really surprised if the Big Boss II couldn't load 9mm.

ArrowJ
11-17-2015, 04:42 PM
Hmm, that could rule out all the affordable dies.

David2011
11-18-2015, 12:55 AM
RCBS makes an extender for short pistol cases. It fits on the ram and you put the shell holder on top of it. It's around 1-1/4" high.

David

ArrowJ
11-18-2015, 01:16 AM
Thanks David, I will look into that and consider it...along with price, primer removal, ram size, etc. jeez a lou :)

dudel
11-18-2015, 08:51 AM

Well, there are a number of SS presses that handle 9mm and rifle that cost less coin than a Redding BBII!

flashhole
11-20-2015, 08:49 AM
The Lee Classic Turret press will do both easily and cost a lot less money. It operates as a single stage press with the indexing rod removed ... and spent primers drop down the center of the ram. I load 40 S&W, 221 Fireball, 223 Rem, 25-06, 7mmRM and 45-70 on it. No problems. With the larger rifle cases I prefer to use it single stage and batch load rather than put it in auto index mode. I especially like the Lee pistol dies and the powder through expander(s). I recently purchased a Lee Auto Drum powder dispenser to charge cases. Love it too.

jmort
11-20-2015, 09:17 AM
^^^ Completely agree. Classic Turret and Auto Drum

Petrol & Powder
11-20-2015, 09:20 AM
As others have stated, the Redding BBII is an outstanding press but expensive. Loading a short casing on a large single stage press isn't a huge problem but it's like using a 30 foot ladder to reach a 10 foot tall roof, it will certainly work but it's more than you need.

dudel's point about the short threaded section of some dies such as Lee is more of a die issue than a press issue but something to consider. The long stroke of a large press can be a source of annoyance for some people when dealing with very short casings but it will still work.

Redding makes some really nice gear but there are other options available.

ArrowJ
11-20-2015, 10:35 AM
I did use a Lee Classic Cast several years ago when I loaded 357 Magnum. I had zero problems with it, and it was built like a tank. This time around I want something different, and I am currently willing to spend about $200 of my budget on the press.

I have considered the Redding Boss, but I would have to put a ball on the handle (no big deal), and deal with the inferior primer catching system which is a deal breaker for me.

I like the Co-Ax but it costs more than I am willing to spend, and after watching it load 45-70 (something I want to do in the future) on YouTube I am not interested. It can load 45-70, but it seems a cumbersome affair compared to pistol calibers.

The new Hornady comes out soon, but I would rather not be the Guinea Pig, and again with the primer disposal.

It seems to me that just about every press would be better off with through the ram primer disposal, but that is only a preference and not a fact.

There are others, and while I do not always concern myself with it, I want to buy American.

The bottom line is that there are so many choices that it can get overwhelming at times. Do not even get me started on powder measures and scales!

I could install a shorter handle on the BBII in the future, but the only one I saw was about $40 if I recall which pushes the price too high for now.

Thanks for all the suggestions, and the info on die threads and handle length!

williamwaco
11-20-2015, 11:40 AM

I would think that if you can afford the Redding press you should afford the next price level in dies.

ArrowJ
11-20-2015, 12:23 PM
It is all about the budget :) I may get the more expensive dies, but it depends on what I choose for everything else. One cost here takes away from another there.

smoked turkey
11-20-2015, 01:05 PM
My old RCBS Rockchucker is going on 45 years old, has loaded thousands of rounds, and still as tight and smooth as ever. You can find them here on swappin and sellin ever so often. I would opt for one of those as they are tried and true. You can't beat the warranty. As far as strength goes, I imagine there are stronger presses with more leverage but so far the RC has done everything I have needed to do. I do not have the Redding press you mention but I can imagine it is one of the strongest and best. It does come with a price and since you are watching your money on this buy, I just think you should consider the RC. Just my $.02.

seagiant
11-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Hi,
Hmmm...Seems like you like stout presses!

My favorite two are made of cast STEEL and would reload probably most anything under a 50BMG!

Theses were both bought for less than $200 a piece!

A CH Champion and a RCBS A2

If you want something just for pistol rounds the Lee Classic turret or a RCBS JR3!

Also Hollywood or even a Bair, lots of ways to go on a classic loader!

ArrowJ
11-20-2015, 01:19 PM
I have considered the RC. I think it has a fantastic reputation. If I bought one it would be used as I really want to buy American if I can.

I really wish more presses had through the ram primer disposal. It seems like it should be standard, but I guess maybe the ram could bend if it was being used for swaging? I kind of doubt it, but there must be some reason all presses do not have that feature.

Other than Lee, Co-Ax, and Redding does anyone else have through the ram primer disposal?

Does anyone ever retro-fit their press by drilling out the ram (not that I can do that).

ArrowJ
11-20-2015, 01:25 PM
The Champion is a beast, but over $300 new!

Those are some neat looking presses! Is that some sort of primer dispenser on the side of the Bair?

mdi
11-20-2015, 01:36 PM
If a Big Boss II is within your budget, why not just buy Redding 9mm dies at the same time?

ArrowJ
11-20-2015, 01:45 PM
I absolutely may do that, mostly I just wondered if I would be locked into Redding dies down the line for all pistol calibers or if I was dreaming the whole "some dies are too short" thing ...which apparently is somewhat of a misnomer, but still.

If the budget gets too tight I will have to buy a used press, or a different press. I am also looking to the future. I would like to have a SS press that will do everything from handgun to large rifle and light swaging...something I can grow into rather than having four SS presses (not that there is anything wrong with that). If I start shooting more when the kids (or some of the kids) move out I may buy a progressive, but right now I do not want to speed things up as the loading is part of the escape from the family time.

flashhole
11-20-2015, 02:56 PM
This is my Lee Classic Turret set up with the Auto Drum powder dispenser. Here it is set up for 221 Fireball. You can see one of the single stage presses in the background, the Redding Ultramag. You can also see a second Classic Turret I outfitted as a portable setup to load at the range. It is very convenient to simply swap out turrets from the portable setup to the bench setup.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/IMG_0497_zps9spzdbk8.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/IMG_0497_zps9spzdbk8.jpg.html)

flashhole
11-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Here's the rest of the family. It is very easy to accumulate reloading gear. I keep a perpetual list of stuff I want so people don't have to ask what I want for Birthday, Father's Day, Christmas, etc. prices range from $10 to $1000. Kind of a bummer to ask for bullets and powder and get a shirt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/GuideGun/media/MainReloadingBench.jpg.html)

flashhole
11-20-2015, 03:08 PM
Seagiant - I really like that Kodiak.

Jared
11-24-2015, 01:56 AM
My Big Boss II works fine with Lee dies.

ArrowJ
11-24-2015, 03:51 AM
My Big Boss II works fine with Lee dies.

Are they pistol dies (not sure if there is a difference in length)? Do you have to install them in an unconventional manner?

lightman
11-25-2015, 10:24 AM
You can't go wrong with a Rockchucker or Redding Boss/Big Boss. The occasional spilled primer is not a big deal to me, but it would be nice to catch them all. I'm not a Lee fan, but the Classic Cast is really well thought of by Lee owners. It might make sense budget wise. It looks like the price difference between RCBS and Lee dies is about $10 or less.

flashhole
11-25-2015, 04:17 PM
What's the best price you've seen on a Rockchucker? FS Reloading sells the Lee Classic Cast for $112.99. I bought mine when they cost $66.

seagiant
11-26-2015, 02:13 PM
What's the best price you've seen on a Rockchucker? FS Reloading sells the Lee Classic Cast for $112.99. I bought mine when they cost $66.

Hi,
I actually had a guy with a RCBS A2 that prefered a new Rock Chucker!

I said no problem and bought a NEW RC ($150) on E-Bay and had it sent to him for the A2!

Jared
11-26-2015, 09:26 PM
Yes I have used Lee pistol dies with no Problem in my Big Boss II and Redding T7. No special steps. They have at least 2-3 turns on the lock ring before you run out of room

ArrowJ
11-27-2015, 09:20 AM
Yes I have used Lee pistol dies with no Problem in my Big Boss II and Redding T7. No special steps. They have at least 2-3 turns on the lock ring before you run out of room

Thanks!