PDA

View Full Version : Computer Geeks ? ? ?

williamwaco
11-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Has anyone here installed the free Windows 10 update?

I can't find anyone who has had the nerve to try it.

pretzelxx
11-16-2015, 02:02 PM
I heard they track a lot of extra data. I won't update. I've got windows 7,only because I couldn't find a good copy of xp!

wch
11-16-2015, 02:04 PM
Everyone in my family that makes his living with IT or programming has said: "Don't do it!".

scarry scarney
11-16-2015, 02:15 PM
I did it. It's a lot better than windows 8, a little better than 8.1.
I have since, replaced my main hard drive with an SSD, and installed windows 7 on it. Not in a big hurry to migrate. I'll leave it on windows 7 for now.

jcwit
11-16-2015, 02:46 PM
Is there any way to go back to Windows 7?

williamwaco
11-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Is there any way to go back to Windows 7?

Yea! Me too.

Is there?

DerekP Houston
11-16-2015, 02:51 PM
No, you would have to reinstall to get back to windows 7.

I have not touched it on any home pc yet. My understanding is if you have 8/8.1, go ahead and upgrade. If you have 7 and are happy, don't.

shooterg
11-16-2015, 02:55 PM
Had XP, was happy. Had Vista, it sucked. New laptop with 8.1 , didn't like it. Upgraded to 10 , hate it. Twice it's sent me back to go to setup 10 - AGAIN ! The Classic Shell does makes it livable.

stanford
11-16-2015, 03:02 PM
There are utilities out there that allows you to remove all the windows spying from windows 10. There are a few things that I don't like about windows 10 so I mainly use windows 7. There is a program called 'Destroy windows 10 spying' I could not find a direct link for it as I download through other means. If you can find and run the program that will be the first thing to do after you install windows 10.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-16-2015, 03:05 PM
Has anyone here installed the free Windows 10 update?

I can't find anyone who has had the nerve to try it.
Myself, I've read enough from those who should know, that I'll wait til I need a new computer. I'll keep using 8.1 Pro in this laptop, til it gives up the ghost. I seem to be one of the few that like 8.1.

But onto your question...
I assume you tried a search of castboolits website ?
as there have been a few threads on it, this one is the best, IMHO
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?284458-Windows-10-So-Far-So-Good-But-Pay-Attention-To-The-Install!

dragon813gt
11-16-2015, 03:16 PM
Nope, I'm sticking w/ 8.1 which I like. I should have just kept 8 but figured I'd switch to 8.1 to get the free 10 upgrade if I so desired. I lost enough to make me regret switching to 8.1.

I haven't looked into it for a few weeks. But forced upgrades is enough to prevent me from upgrading to 10. Apple's constant reminders to upgrade their iOS is annoying but I can live w/ it. I'm not a fan or forced anything. Unless Microsoft decides to do away w/ forced updates I won't be using their product ever again.

popper
11-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Yup, then changed back to win7 pro. You get a month I think to revert. Requires purchase of office suite, etc. Not for me. Basically it is made for streaming data and the cloud I don't need, want or use.

Boolit_Head
11-16-2015, 03:24 PM
Avoid it. It does not pay to be an early adopter and work out all the bugs for them. :)

alamogunr
11-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Not a computer geek by a long way. I downloaded Windows 10 only because I wanted a system that would be supported for my computer lifetime. A few things I don't understand/don't like. I think most have to do with settings that must be standard with 10 and used mostly by "geeks".

My router has been giving me problems so I have a computer guy coming to install a new one. I'm going to treat him like a doctor and give him a list of things that I don't like or don't understand and hope he can either fix or show me how to live with them.

David2011
11-16-2015, 04:41 PM
I heard they track a lot of extra data. I won't update. I've got windows 7,only because I couldn't find a good copy of xp!

I recently tried to install a new installation of XP on an older Sony computer using the factory Sony installation disk. I ran into many roadblocks. Not only has Microsoft ended future support but it seems they have removed past updates from their support area. I ended up returning the old, working hard drive to the computer. My day job is computer support for a very large company.

David

SciFiJim
11-16-2015, 08:59 PM
I upgraded my laptop running Win7Pro to Win10 to try it out. I don't have anything critical on the laptop and only use it when traveling or as a spare when doing multiple things at once at home. My desktop and tablet are running Win8.1. No problems with Win10 after spending a few hours tweaking it to work the way I wanted. You can turn off the automatic updates.

I do computers for fun, so don't have a problem getting deep into the settings to change things. I just got another old laptop to install Linux on to try it out. I'll have to see which one I wind up liking best. I am right at the edge of dropping Microsoft as a home operating system, but need to learn Linux first.

pworley1
11-16-2015, 09:13 PM
I have been using Windows 10 since July. I don't like it as well as I do Windows 7, but it is much, much better than Windows 8.

GhostHawk
11-16-2015, 10:15 PM
I have not, and won't. Once that first trial period runs out they have themselves what they call a cash cow. Every so often you milk it and it rains money.

I have no desire to "rent" an OS when there are so many out there running free, just need catching and a bit of training to get them to walk and trot.

I used to be a hard core gamer, built my own systems from scratch for nearly 20 years.
But I am getting old and desktops are getting complicated. And you can buy a new convertable laptop/tablet every year for 3 years for the cost of a desktop.

So I got tired of swimming against the stream and went mobile.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC06K3G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

But I am not going to try to upgrade to win 10, no way..

ShooterAZ
11-17-2015, 01:38 PM
I updated to windows 10, no problems and it works fine. No complaints. I had 8.1 previously.

pcolapaddler
11-17-2015, 01:53 PM
We have one new laptop with 10 installed and I upgraded my other laptop to 10 via the free download / upgrade.

Other than a small learning curve - it is different from 7 & 8 - it seems fine. I don't know about spying stuff.

I didn't have complaints with 8 either though. I tend to just figure how to do what I need to do and not dwell on other stuff.

454PB
11-17-2015, 01:56 PM
I upgraded both my laptop and desktop to Win. 10, and just 2 days ago to the latest build. I like it, yes, it is intrusive, but that can be controlled. Computers are going to continue to be invasive to privacy, it's just a fact of life.

If you want to try it and yet be able to return to whatever system you ran previously, I suggest you download the free version of Macrium Reflect and do a system image before hand. That way you can return to your old operating system with no loss of data.

tryNto
11-17-2015, 04:25 PM
Was a XP user since first year it was out, Loved it.
Had no problems with 8 or 8.1. Upgraded to 10 at the first chance.
After installing programs to make it act the way I want, it is working great for me with no problems. ( Start Menu 8 > http://download.cnet.com/Start-Menu-8/3000-2072_4-75852660.html )
There are programs that can be downloaded and installed prior to installing Win 10 to roll back to your old OS if you don't like 10.

Destroy Windows 10 Spying can be D/L here > http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/destroy_windows_10_spying.html
I have it installed and haven't noticed any problems.

MtGun44
11-20-2015, 01:16 AM
Sticking with Win 7 pro. If I had any flavor of 8, I'd probably change, but not going to leave
7 until I absolutely have to.

alamogunr
11-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Not a computer geek by a long way. I downloaded Windows 10 only because I wanted a system that would be supported for my computer lifetime. A few things I don't understand/don't like. I think most have to do with settings that must be standard with 10 and used mostly by "geeks".

My router has been giving me problems so I have a computer guy coming to install a new one. I'm going to treat him like a doctor and give him a list of things that I don't like or don't understand and hope he can either fix or show me how to live with them.

I'm replying to my own post so this makes sense. The computer guy came by day before yesterday and found that my problem was more than likely a bad cable from router to computer. He still installed the new router and performance is much better.

After tweaking a few settings that had been bugging me, we got to talking about guns. Turns out he used to be a sound tech for several well known bands, Waylon Jennings, Reba McIntire among them. Both he and his wife have their carry permits although he admits he is not really into guns. They got the permits for self defense only. Unlike some he is not unfamiliar with handling guns so I retrieved a couple of mine from their places throughout the house. We talked a little about them before he had to go to another appointment. Funny, the people you run into that think like you do.

To avoid straying too far from the thread subject, I can live with Windows 10 now.

jcwit
12-01-2015, 11:51 PM
I'm way far from knowing what I'm doing, but I did download Windows 10, way way, slow, didn't like it at all, had since it first came out last summer.

Last week I took it to my computer geek and now $130 bucks I'm in with Windows 8.1. Love it, really fast and just what I want.

Yes you can get rid of 10.