PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolit success with the 1894 Winchester in .44 mag

Shuz
11-16-2015, 11:51 AM
Last week I harvested a little button buck, that I thought was a doe as he wandered thru my property. I was in my shop loading ammo, when my wife used the intercom and said,"There's a deer in the back yard". I moseyed upstairs, grabbed the 20"bbl'd 1894 Winchester that was by the sliding door, and slowly slid open the sliding glass door leading on to the upstairs deck. I carefully moved to the gas grill and used it as a rest. One shot and he went down, and stayed down. Boolit passed right on thru and is lodged somewhere in the Ponderosa pine he was standing in front of. Load was 7g of Trail Boss and a 225g RNFP Lee custom boolit. Velocity is 1050fps.

I then fetched my 4 wheeler and lawn cart and hauled him off to be gutted down by my range. I had him gutted in 10 minutes and skinned within the next 30 minutes.

At my age, that's still called hunting?!:bigsmyl2:

Perhaps this thread should be placed in a forum titled "Harvesting with Cast Boolits"?

ChristopherO
11-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Meat in the freezer. Good for you! I've shot a number of coyotes that way but for deer I still like to pretend I am Daniel Boone.

You mentioned the little button buck dropped at the impact. Was the shot only through the vitals or did you happen to hit the spine? Reason I ask is that I've killed dozens of deer with muzzleloaders and 12 gauge slugs that left the muzzle faster than 1050fps and never had them fall unless a major bone or spine was hit. Others have told me of DRT shots with the same but I've never seen it. Just curious.
Thanks for the story.

Shuz
11-17-2015, 11:17 AM
ChristopherO--The boolit entered the right shoulder and thru the heart.

Wolfer
11-17-2015, 02:29 PM
Meat in the freezer. Good for you! I've shot a number of coyotes that way but for deer I still like to pretend I am Daniel Boone.

You mentioned the little button buck dropped at the impact. Was the shot only through the vitals or did you happen to hit the spine? Reason I ask is that I've killed dozens of deer with muzzleloaders and 12 gauge slugs that left the muzzle faster than 1050fps and never had them fall unless a major bone or spine was hit. Others have told me of DRT shots with the same but I've never seen it. Just curious.
Thanks for the story.

Ive shot deer with most of the normal rounds from 223 to 338 win mag with muzzle loaders and handguns thrown in.
By far the majority shot in the front half will travel 30 to 70 yds if the central nervous system is not hit.
Ive found one exception. A deer hit midway up on the point of the shoulder as in when their quartering to you will virtually always drop straight down. I don't know what the minimum power it takes to do this. I have a bow hunting buddy that says it works with arrows. I've done it with my 45 colt, 30-30, 30-06 etc.
Ive seen several deer go a few jumps with both shoulders broken.

Win94ae
11-17-2015, 08:39 PM
In Ohio that would be illegal.
We cannot...
"Use any device capable of transmitting or receiving a person's voice to aid in the hunting or taking of deer."
:guntootsmiley:

nagantguy
11-22-2015, 12:06 PM
That is a great little she'll shucker, I've used one for years, my daughter just took her first one with it this year, she's now hiked on the 44 round, winny94 lever guns and cast boolits. Enjoy your nice tender "intercome" deer.