PDA

View Full Version : Sight adjustment required, need ideas

JohnH
11-15-2015, 10:24 PM
I picked up a solid frame H&R 32 S&W long this weekend. It was an 1980's early -90's manufacture that appeared to be unfired (I solved that) The gun shoots very well but prints 12" high at 25 yards. With a 5" sight radius this translates to a change of sight height of .067 (1/16") The rear sight is too shallow to file down that much, which leaves adding to the height of the front sight. Question is how to do it. Sight appears to be silver soldered in a groove in the top of the barrel. I'd be afraid to simply add metal by welding then filing down, it'd prolly soften up the original solder joint. would be nice to correct this problem but without a good solution I'm likely to leave it as is as the gun is just for poking holes in paper at the range anyway. But it sucks to have to hold so low. Even holding 6" low at 15 yards sucks. I'd just rather not deal with the Kentucky windage issue were I to ever want to take the pistol on a woods walk. Any ideas?

country gent
11-15-2015, 10:45 PM
For a quick fix coat 2 pieces of thin steel with waxand let cure. Clamp these on each side of front sightand add tape or clay to seal faces. mix some JB weld and work into the gap building front sight up to hieght plus some to clean up. let cure and file into zero. Otherwise it build up with metal (weld or solder) and recut. The JB weld epoxy can be painted easily after sized and finished. Use thinned paint so it soaks in good. A black stain can be added to the epoxy but it tends to be shinnier.

Mk42gunner
11-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Or remove the present front sight and use it as a pattern to make a new one, then solder it in place.

Robert

scottfire1957
11-16-2015, 12:24 AM
I read about a semi permanent fix for this years ago.

Involved an aluminum can and some jb weld. Not much else.

Some folks, I guess, can figure stuff out. He simply "built up" the front sight, filed it to where he needed it, and used a blueing pen to color the addition.

The Al can was cut to make a well around the front sight and held in place with a clip or something, jb weld poured into the well. Seemed simple.

Edit: see above.