PDA

View Full Version : More food for thought on wads causing separated cases

EDG
11-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Remember that shotgun ammo uses wads of many types.

Most of the shot gun wads today are poly wads and they are very long and have a myraid number of designs.
There were also card wads and felt wads and who knows what else. Short wads, long wads and wads with all types of cushion designs.

I loaded 12 and 20 gauge for use in skeet shooting for about 10 years. I shot about 500 rounds a month. I used standards skeet load velocities (1200 fps) and I shot any wad that stacked up to the right height. I never had a tube shoot off. Some of the wads appeared to be HDPE (high density poly ethylene) some appeared to be polypropylene or gummy bear material. Most appeared to be LDPE (low density polyethylene)

I have also shot thousands of gas check bullets with no necks or cases being separated by the bullet.

1. If some one does any testing they need to isolate the powder from the poly wads. Test each component separately
2. They also need to make sure the rifle's headspace is ok.
3. Make sure the brass is not part of the problem - test multiple brands of brass.

I do not understand how the poly wad alone can cause the problem since shot shell wads are much longer, have greater friction or drag area on the sides and have cushioning sections that collapse and squash out against the shot shell tube when fired.