PDA

View Full Version : The Project Idea For This Winter

Greg S
11-15-2015, 08:23 PM
As work slows down and I get some free time I'm contemplating a Winne 30-30 trunk-truck build. Something that is generally not seen till needed, run hard and put away wet so to speak. This in conjunction with the previous two winter projects (13 & 14) a pair of matching 1911s. The first is almost complete, requiring a flat top and serrate, sight dovetails and tig on a Chen mag funnel and blend. The second will get the same slide treatment as the first when I get set up at the mill. The front strap has been checkered @ 20 lpi with an extreme high cut, and the slide and frame have been fitted so after I get the machining done, about 40-60 hours to complete before proofing and finish work.

Now, ideas for the rifle will include:

Req 1: Cut down barrel to 16.5" ala Trapper. Easier to handle quickly and more compact.

Req 2: Sights that can be seen. Looking at an XS Aperture Rear Sight 006-103-092MB, some type of fiber optic or brass bead front sight and an XS Scout Rail for my later years as the lookers are starting to get alittle fuzzy. I might go as far as adding a tang sight already zeroed for a plinker/SG load so I don't have to adjust the rear iron back and forth. Time will tell.

Req 3: Alittle action smoothing, spring and lock work so ya don't have to run it like your pissed off.

Req 4: Carry bevel the action and a melt on the finger lever after opening it up alittle for a gloved hand. I'm not talking about a major John Wayne twirly dirly loop, just something alittle bigger. After the metal is completed and bead blasted either a home parkerize or a hard chrome finish. Since its for a range beater probably a back yard park with the possibility of a little Cera-Kote if I can't keep the metal in decent shape in the Pac NW wet winters.

Does anyone know how the post 64 receivers take parkerizing?

What are your winter workshop plans?

bikerbeans
11-15-2015, 09:16 PM
Thinking about rebarreling a 336 marlin to 44-40. I have to check a couple of dimensions first before I proceed.

BB