PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Shooting Mechanics on H&R 732

Javelin Dan
11-15-2015, 03:21 PM
First of all, let me apologize if I've placed this question in the wrong forum. I looked and couldn't seem to find a more appropriate place. If there is one, maybe the moderator will move it for me?

As I've mentioned here before, I am a new shooter. I've actually only been shooting (and reloading) consistently for about 3 months. I've been trying to keep a number of plates spinning at one time, and am just now starting to sort out what I need help with. I'm shooting primarily two guns right now; my dad's Deutsch Werk Ortgies 7.6 mm, and my H&R 732 (.32 long, 2.5' barrel). For the record, I am concentrating on 2 things right now; aquiring the "sight picture" and then allowing the rear sight and target to "fuzz out" and only focus on the front sight, and to grip the gun firmly and concentrate on a smooth trigger pull. I'm actually getting on pretty well with the Ortgies - able to consistently shoot 4" groups at about 20' with that - good enough for "center mass". Not competition level by any means, but I'll get better with practice. Being mostly interested in self defense, I have no designs on throwing bullseye shots across the yard like Ralphie in "Christmas Story". My CCW doesn't empower me to do that.

The 732 is another matter. I've done some research, and discovered that even many seasoned shooters struggle with the H&R's. Most of this is due to their horrendous trigger pull...12-15 pounds in DA by most accounts. I can CAREFULLY aim and fire, and put the first round within 4" of where I planned, but the follow-up shots are up for grabs. I might put 2, maybe 3 shots (if I'm lucky) out of 6 in that 4" circle. As this is currently my bedpost gun, I don't want to rely on luck. Can someone who has substantial experience with these H&R's guide me as to the proper mechanics to shoot consistently well with it, or should I be thinking about a different gun with a more "user friendly" trigger?

There's also the subject of "follow through". I've seen this mentioned multiple times, always with a caution to do it after the shot, but I've never seen a clear explanation of how to execute it. Someone please explain...

Win94ae
11-15-2015, 08:11 PM
I have a few guns that have heavy trigger pulls, one is 25lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNF5q5Zyvy0

You just need to keep the sight picture proper during the trigger pull. You'll get used to it; but a new pistol would solve your problems quick.

aquiring the "sight picture" and then allowing the rear sight and target to "fuzz out" and only focus on the front sight,

That is how you use sights on a rifle. Handguns are different, especially when using a defensive weapon.

There's also the subject of "follow through".

That is also a rifle issue. Although, with many auto pistols, you'll want to do something similar as to get quicker, accurate shots off.
With my 45 auto, after the pistol has discharged, I'll release pressure on the trigger until it resets; you'll hear a click when it resets, which means it is again ready to fire a round if the trigger is again depressed.

If you concentrate on a proper trigger pull with the revolver, what people call "follow through" happens unconsciously.

Scharfschuetze
11-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Front sight focus is key to accuracy (when using sights) with any iron sighted weapon, rifle or handgun. Fuzzy target and rear sight are de rigueur when done properly. The human eye (like a good optical camera lens) can only focus at one point in distance at a time. To maintain sight alignment (more important than sight picture) the front sight is paramount.

Follow through is just keeping the weapon stable and still as the hammer falls, ignites the round and fires. You do not induce any movement to the gun, as it will move itself with recoil. You just ride it out and let it move itself.

Dry fire practice will help you immensely. Practice all your fundamentals for each dry fire and then apply them when you actually shoot.

Here is the lowdown from a previous post I made:

1. Stance: Balanced with skeletal support and relaxed musculature if possible. A good rested or supported position will enhance your stance and reduce your natural wobble area. Shoot within your wobble area and don't try and "ambush" the target by jerking the trigger as your front sight wonders by it.
2. Grip: Hand shake firm, but light enough not to induce shaking. Pistol is held so that it recoils down your radial and ulnar forearm bones.
3. Trigger pull: straight back through the weapon without drag on either side. Stage your trigger (for DA shooting) if that suits you or pull evenly through if that is best for you and your handgun.
4. Sight alignment: Focus on the front sight. You should know it intimately and it should be centered in the rear sight. Relax your eye between shots as you breathe to maintain sharp vision.
5. Sight picture: Place your well aligned sights (#4 above) over the intended point of impact. Front sight clear, target and rear sight a bit fuzzy.
6. Breath control: You need lots of oxygen in your blood, but you want to hold your breath when letting the shot off. Breathe between shots for good concentration, eye sight and relaxed muscles.
7. Follow through: Let the gun move itself. You don't move or recover until the recoil is complete.
8. Call the shot: You should be able to tell if the shot is high, low, wide, etc before you actually check your target.

All of the above for each and every shot. It'll all work out.

Javelin Dan
11-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Win94ae - Not quite enough info to help me out, but man! Nice piece of shootin' in the video! Remind me to never piss you off in a card game.

Sharfshuetze - This is EXACTLY the kind of detailed info I was hoping for! Thank you! I'm going to print this off and take it to the range with me. And I know above all else; practice, practice, PRACTICE! Sure hope the boolits hold out...