PDA

View Full Version : Saeco single cavity mould feature

stubbicatt
11-15-2015, 09:02 AM
Casted up a few boolits yesterday for my 32-40. As the pot was heating up and I was getting set up for the run, I noticed that the sprue plate was loose again on the Saeco single cavity mould. I snugged it down with a hex key, and then I noticed a small hole in the front of the block which houses the sprue plate pivot. I looked down in there and what did I see? Another little allen type screw!

Snugged that little devil on down, which bears against the sprue plate pivot screw, and voila! The whole thing stayed snugged down for the entire run.

I was somewhat disappointed in this mould and its ability to hold proper sprue plate tension, but upon discovery of this little feature, my disappointment was replaced with admiration and joy!

:)

All boolits casted yesterday maintained the same sprue plate tension, and I am pleased.

Good job Saeco.

Now if only my 4 cavity Lyman mould had such a feature to secure the sprue plate hold down screw at the opposite end of the pivot screw.

dilly
11-15-2015, 09:29 AM
Interesting; I recently had the same problem and the same revelation. What are the odds.

Grump
11-16-2015, 01:13 AM
The H&G moulds I've seen look like they are reversible. Identical flathead screws for both the sprue & lockdown, and for both locking screws.

tazman
11-16-2015, 11:12 PM
The larger Saeco molds are set up that way too, or at least the one I had was.