PDA

View Full Version : buffalo classic

johnson1942
11-14-2015, 08:14 PM
my buffalo classic got me a white tail doe this evening. 450 grain paperpatched bullet with blackhorn 209 powder pushing the bullet. im usually the driver for my son to hunt but i got a ticket for my self this year and couldnt pass it up. been a while since ive taken a deer but i for some reason was shakeing. i watched it from the cedars for quite a while coming towards me and that must have got me worked up. couldnt get the hands to stop trembling but got a good hit anyways between shakes. i laughed at my self as i was always telling my son to stop shakeing and it happened to me. now i cant say anything to my son any more as the old man was like a kid on his first hunt. next month is muzzle loader season and will do it again.

hpdrifter
11-14-2015, 08:49 PM
cool, congratulations. love to shoot that long barreled gun although I got a 22" that I hunt with.

douglasskid
11-14-2015, 08:55 PM
Those Buffalo Classics are great guns.

johnson1942
11-14-2015, 10:00 PM
i have to admit, i modified my buffalo classic by cutting the barrel to 28 inches. still shoots to 500 yards very accurately. easier to carry around with a shorter barrel.

rfd
11-17-2015, 08:50 AM
the buffalo classic is the only rifle i sorely miss from the demise of H&R, it was a truly cheap but valued way to get into bpcr. nothing around can take its place and getting a taste of bpcr these dayze will require some serious dollars.

Nobade
11-17-2015, 09:04 AM
the buffalo classic is the only rifle i sorely miss from the demise of H&R, it was a truly cheap but valued way to get into bpcr. nothing around can take its place and getting a taste of bpcr these dayze will require some serious dollars.

I got lucky and found a 38-55 one that hadn't been cut on. Really like that rifle! I had a 45-70 one for a while and didn't enjoy the recoil. Sold that, but I'm hanging on to its little brother.

-Nobade

rfd
11-17-2015, 09:23 AM
i have right shoulder issues ("frozen") that's very recoil sensitive. without a doubt, recoil can be a 45-70 buff classic issue because it's only 8lbs total weight. 1-1/2lbs of lead can be added to butt stock in its through bolt hole, and additional holes can be drilled (behind the butt cap) for even more weight added, but i found a pound is just fine. then a slip-on or lace-on butt pad is added (i like the kick killer, and use it on all my big rifles). those two things, and the use of black powder cartridges, or smokeless cartridges loaded to trap door speeds, makes the buff classic a pleasure to shoot all day long, and it's quite accurate, to boot.

but i've always jonsed for that buff classic target 38-55!

big bore 99
11-17-2015, 09:44 AM
I love my Buffalo Classic. It's the first 45-70 I got and spent a lot of time with it. I've been using paper patched and light loads. I put peep sights on it and it's very accurate.

bubba.50
11-18-2015, 10:52 AM
there's a buffalo classic target 38/55 for sale in the classified ads over on graybeard right now. if ya hurry ya can get it as a complete gun. if it sets there more than a few hours the vultures will pick it apart & all that'll be left is the carcass.

KenH
11-18-2015, 01:19 PM
I love my Buffalo Classic. It's the first 45-70 I got and spent a lot of time with it. I've been using paper patched and light loads. I put peep sights on it and it's very accurate.

What diameter bullets do you use for PP'ing? Do you PP to bore or groove diameter? OR - somewhere between? What powder and how much?

Ken H>

49Reo
12-10-2015, 12:49 PM
I picked my B.C. Up for $390.00, with 50 rounds of factory down the pipe. It's a great shooter, but I found I could only get about 150 yards with the rear sight as high as it could go. So, bought another Lyman front sight, the lowest profile they have,(can't remember the number) then I could reach out past 350 yards. The butt stock, as much as I like the look, was too short for me so ordered a blank and added a Limbsaver (I know, sacrilege on such a Classic look) but, at 14 3/4" lop, the original was way too short. Next is a tang sight.....

John Boy
12-10-2015, 05:09 PM
So, bought another Lyman front sight, the lowest profile they have,(can't remember the number) then I could reach out past 350 yards. Put a vernier on the butt stock- not a Marbles. You'll be able to shoot out to a 1000yds and yes, the BC barrel by Green Mountain is very accurate

rfd
12-11-2015, 07:06 PM
i thought about a vernier on the stock of my b-c, but since this is break open action that would mean the pair of sights would be on two different moving planes, so i opted for the smith ladder peep on the barrel. worked purty good, too.

http://i.imgur.com/lyv528H.jpg

wgr
12-11-2015, 10:34 PM
i have to admit, i modified my buffalo classic by cutting the barrel to 28 inches. still shoots to 500 yards very accurately. easier to carry around with a shorter barrel.
I did that to one of mine. great rifles

johnson1942
12-12-2015, 11:58 PM
i see rfd lost the little ball bearing in his sharp tip up buck horn also. drilled it out and put in a bigger screw. i have a sight like that that isnt on a gun yet that needs the same thing done to it so the ladder can be used again. i have shot my buffalo classic to 500 yards with a tip up sight like that on it. what ive shot at is tumble weeds at 500 yards and put a bullet right in the middle of them. wouldnt sell that gun for anything. had to remodel it some to tame the recoil though.

rfd
12-13-2015, 06:31 AM
i see rfd lost the little ball bearing in his sharp tip up buck horn also. drilled it out and put in a bigger screw. i have a sight like that that isnt on a gun yet that needs the same thing done to it so the ladder can be used again. i have shot my buffalo classic to 500 yards with a tip up sight like that on it. what ive shot at is tumble weeds at 500 yards and put a bullet right in the middle of them. wouldnt sell that gun for anything. had to remodel it some to tame the recoil though.

no, not at all. i just replaced the existing screw with with knurled one to make it easier to set the peep slide.

i also added a 1# mercury tube up the butt stock, to add both weight and recoil absorption, and polished the trigger sear (not filed it, which is a disaster in the making). i wish this rifle was still being marketed - a killer way to get yer feet wet in bpcr for cheap.

12-13-2015, 03:17 PM
I like the idea of that ladder sight. Are there other, similar sights out there available?