PDA

View Full Version : Analytical balance scales in reloading

salpal48
11-14-2015, 05:24 PM
With the advent of smokeless powder, there was a time where Analytical balance was the Norm on the loader bench. In the 1937 edition Complete guide to handloading By Phil Sharpe. show a Photo of a Loader in front of One. this was a slow process. Since the introduction of the 3 beam and now digital . Most have become obsolete and conversation pieces.They are Now making a comeback with the avid benchrest and precision shooters.. These are Highly accurate and worth Mention. Please review the Photo's below:
The first Photo Is a Christian Becker. Chain-o-matic.. this model was used in The chemical and Gold industry for Its accuracy. It will measure In 1/1000 of millagram, with the use of the Gold Chain o matic bring the measurement to 1/10000. This is an overkill for the average Loader
The second Photo is a Voland & son Model 100. This used by Pharmacies again measurement to 1/1000 MG.
The Third Photo is the most Practical for the handloder. Ohaus model1600 . This is accurate to 1/10- 1/100 Mg.. this particular one has been set up to weigh powder.
Since analytical does not weigh anything. But measure a Known weight against and Unknown. using check weight are amust. and also a knowledge Of math is a must
enclosed 3 photo's for your viewing
Sal

bangerjim
11-14-2015, 05:36 PM
I collect and build antique scales like the ones shown.

Too slow......Not really useful for what we do. More for lab uses. I have many of them and use a Franklin Arsenal digital for all my load work! Compact and accurate. I have checked it for accuracy and repeatability against several of them and NIST weights......"good 'nuff or gubmint werk"! And absolutely ZERO math needed! Reads in grains.....not grams.

banger

Bent Ramrod
11-14-2015, 06:01 PM
I used those analytical balances at school and early in my employment. You could, in truth, weigh a fingerprint with one. So tweezers were necessary to manipulate the weights.

They could only weigh to this precision with the beam in motion. You had to watch the pointer swing back and forth, back and forth, until it was swinging an even number of divisions on both sides. Then you knew the weights in the pans were identical.

Weighing sodium hydroxide for titrations was the Olympics of analytical balance operation. The stuff absorbed moisture from the air, so it would get heavier and heavier in a very short time. You couldn't do a lot of fine adjusting on the weight pan; you had to get the right combination of little brass and aluminum weights onto the other pan fast.

They do look elegant, for sure. I have a Christian Becker Chain-O-Matic that needs the wire holders for the pans and new glass in the front. Great to look at, but I'd have to be pretty desperate to use it for weighing.

noylj
11-15-2015, 02:04 PM
I was so nice when in my senior year Berkeley got digital presses in most of the labs.
Used an RCBS 5-10 for about a year or so until Ainsworth brought out a digital that I could afford and I never looked back.
Never worked in a lab that had a beam balance.
You touch a analytical check weight, and it is out of calibration. I still don't touch the calibration weights that come with todays scales, even knowing how "inaccurate" the weights are.

gray wolf
11-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Used a lot to weigh precious metals, still used in many dental labs,
cheep and efficient.