PDA

View Full Version : Zinc in the mix?

Hickory
11-14-2015, 09:45 AM
This is something I've been wanting to ask for a while and was wondering if anyone's given it a try.
Here's tie question: Has any one ever added a small amount of zinc to you lead alloy to see if it is possible at harden the alloy and if so what was your outcome?

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-14-2015, 09:58 AM
Yep, it does add a bit of hardness.

mold maker
11-14-2015, 01:47 PM
And the boolits weigh less, according to the amount added.

bangerjim
11-14-2015, 02:04 PM
And your molds will fill out poorly.

You need to dope your zinc-rich mix with much more than 2% normal Sn. I have played extensively with Zn contamination up thru 5% to see what it did.

I would NOT recommend it for hardening. Spend a little $$. Get Sb-rich alloys to enhance your mix. They are not THAT expensive! Have more success. If you are worrisome about boolit weights vs load data (as some seem to be), all your calculated data will go out the window when you start adding Zn to harden.

So..........the money you save by not using inexpensive Sb will be totally overshadowed by the the very expensive Sn you have to add to get proper fill-out.

There is no free lunch in this world.

banger

Hickory
11-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Thanks guys.
Just wondering or as some say, I was just thinking out loud.

Nose Dive
11-24-2015, 09:33 PM
Hickory.... Like fellas above...I work to keep the zinc out.... it makes for poor fill out of the alloy in the mold...for me anyway....

I flux with sawdust and sulfur to help work on the zinc issue.... I smelt alot of crud stuff....road kill smelt stuff and flux with
sawdust and sulfur in my smelt pot at least three or four times.... then finish with wax.... then make my ingots....

I make my 'cast' ingots with 75% of that and the rest WWs by weight..... maybe some pewter and tin...again..fluxing like heck...
this is my casting ingots....

Some guys add copper and other alloy metals.... I am too febble to get into that... and my 'need' is for my pistols....so BHN's stay low....

I have a buddy that adds sliver to his alloy...yes silver... but he is rich....I ain't... he also adds elemental tin too....

AND...AND... AND...his boolits look much better than mine....shiny...excellent fill out... but...I aint' the Lone Ranger and only shoot my
'range scrap' 'culs'....

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two