PDA

View Full Version : S&W 640 DAO holsters?

Naphtali
11-14-2015, 02:30 AM
Please identify inside-the-waistband holsters made for S&W 640 DAO 357 Magnum revolvers with 2.125-inch barrels. I prefer holsters with belt loops rather than clips, and some method of securing revolver within holster - perhaps thumb snap?

ddixie884
11-14-2015, 08:34 PM
I don't know about IWB but some companies, Bianchi, safariland, etc. made belt holsters for shrouded hammers with a snap behind the trigger guard that was tripped by the middle finger while acquiring the firing grip during the draw. You might look in holster listings on line, or contact custom makers for their ideas.

rintinglen
11-15-2015, 02:39 PM
153397153398These are IWBD for autos, but the same designs are widely available for J frame S&W's.
SideguardHolsters.com, Galco, Safariland, and lord knows who else all make some version of the summer special style holster.
Bianchi's model 3 might be just the ticket.

Petrol & Powder
11-15-2015, 09:50 PM
If an inside the waistband holster is the controlling criteria, here are some options:
Bell Charter Oak Holsters
http://bellcharteroakholsters.com/iwb.html

Check out the Workman - http://www.mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/inside-waistband-holsters/
Mitch Rosen is expensive but high quality.

There are certainly less expensive options available but I've used both Mitch Rosen and Bell Charter Oak products and they are top notch in terms of durability.

Most IWB holsters do not utilize a retention device and instead rely on deep concealment to protect the gun.
It is important to select a holster with a reinforced opening so that the holster doesn't collapse when the weapon is removed. Cheap IWB holsters will not have a reinforced opening and there is no way to re-holster the gun with one hand after drawing the weapon. That is unacceptable and often the downfall of the less expensive IWB designs.

With a hammerless DAO revolver like the 640, pocket carry is a viable option that is almost as fast as an IWB holster unless the user is sitting. A pocket holster should be used for pocket carry to shield the trigger and keep the gun positioned correctly within the pocket.

IWB holsters conceal well but are not as comfortable as an "On the waist band" [OWB] holster. If you do not have experience with IWB holsters, I suggest you borrow one and try it before committing money. A S&W 640 is fairly short and would be almost as easy to conceal in an OWB holster as an IWB type.
It has been my experience that the IWB holsters are good for deep concealment but are less comfortable to wear and slower to draw from that OWB types.

Naphtali
11-20-2015, 02:05 AM
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I think I know what I want, but I haven't found it.

Small of the back (behind the back) holsters have a severe angle for the revolver to allow convenient drawing of the weapon. Since the revolver's butt and grip are still readily available, this angle would be extremely convenient for me to use in a cross-draw holster when sitting. Does anyone offer such a cross-draw holster with an exaggerated angle?

Petrol & Powder
11-22-2015, 11:32 AM
I'm not a big fan of cross draw rigs but in some very specific situations they can be the right choice. Drawing from a seated position, such as in a car, may be one of those situations. In general the crossdraw rig is more difficult to defend.

Again, I'm not endorsing Mitch Rosen and there are less expensive options out there but take a look at the "Transverse" [TVR] holster for a general idea:
http://www.mitchrosen.com/products/holsters/belt-holsters/

Small of the back holsters conceal well but come with their own set of problems, particularly if you end up on the ground.
Galco makes some fine S.O.B. holsters: http://www.galcogunleather.com/sob-small-of-back-holster_8_4_1283.html

rintinglen
11-22-2015, 01:54 PM
SOB is not your friend if you have to sit down. It also tends to flash when you lean forward or squat down. Much depends on where you live and the climate there as to what holster will work best.