PDA

View Full Version : Donating Reloaders?

beeser
11-13-2015, 10:12 AM
In the process of buying and collecting reloaders I've accumulated a number of them that frankly don't interest me. They're good machines with plenty of life in them. Since I usually don't like selling stuff on eBay, etc. I was thinking of donating them to local youth shooting programs. Is this something that a young shooter could use and appreciate? Is it appropriate? Of course they would only be given out with their parents permission. If it makes a difference the machines in question are made by MEC, RCBS, Texan, CH and are for shotgun shells as well as metallic cartridges.

dilly
11-13-2015, 10:36 AM
It is a good idea, but probably much better if you have a way to donate some time to teach them along with it.
Just giving a kid a press and sending them off to figure it may not work out so well. Maybe dealing with parents of children more directly would be better?

duckey
11-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Great idea!

beeser
11-13-2015, 10:58 AM
...Maybe dealing with parents of children more directly would be better?
Roger that. Most if not all of the youths shooting around here are part of a shooting program, which is headed by an adult. I'm thinking that it would be best if he or she handles it.

s mac
11-13-2015, 03:42 PM
There is always Helping Hands here as well.

flashhole
11-13-2015, 05:58 PM
If you have a press for metallic cartridges that you would like to donate I know a 17 year-old farm kid who could use one. I taught him to reload and was able to get him a lot of equipment to get him started. He still needs a press. He will occasionally borrow mine or load at another friends house.

salpal48
11-13-2015, 11:11 PM
I belong to a club & range That has a Youth program. There always looking for Used equipment to help any of the Younger people if they would be Interested. again it would be available if the parents consent
Sal

Mauser48
11-13-2015, 11:53 PM
I'm 16 and when I started loading I would have loved someone to donate a press to me. I think its a great idea. Just make sure they go to people who really could use one and are appreciative. You are a good man.

snowtigger
11-14-2015, 04:50 AM
I seem to accumulate them at auctions and yard sales. I have given several to new re-loaders. If I happen to have scales and dies to fit, more's the better. One to a friend whose house was consumed in a forest fire.
There is always a place for them.

beeser
11-14-2015, 09:39 AM
OK, sounds like a good plan. I prefer to offer them to local youths but if there's anything leftover I'll make them available elsewhere. Perhaps others could join in and fill the gap.

noylj
11-15-2015, 02:06 PM
The only reloaders I know are the folks who pull the handles on their presses...
I can't imagine collecting them and I think it would be illegal.

offroader69
11-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Even though the reloading groups do not use what you donate they can always sell them off and use the money to buy consumables.

RogerDat
11-15-2015, 02:31 PM
Lot of ranges and clubs have fund raisers where the bidders will self select to get the press into hands of someone that will use it with the money going to a good cause.

The forum Swapping & Selling will have auctions or sales with all profit going to the site or sometimes to a member with a special need or situation. Read the stuff in S&S and/or contact the forum moderator for how you might proceed if you want to go that route.

srtolly
11-15-2015, 03:16 PM
Great idea, I know several young folks that shoot trap at the local range. They're good kids and I take them shooting when I can. All the older shooters here help out but there a lot of *******s too. I don't shoot trap but I like watching and seeing the kids getting into it.

I hope the young folks cam afford to stick with it.

rush1886
11-16-2015, 10:04 AM
Check with your local F&G, and get contact info for local Hunter Safety instructors. They may be able to pair you up with a young 'un with the real need and desire, to get to learning.