PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good gunsmith

Bustard
11-13-2015, 12:59 AM
I have an 1894 Marlin chambered in 32-20 with a bad chamber and need to have the barrel set back and re-chambered and a new throat cut. Does anyone have a recommendation for a gunsmith that does this type of work. I can't have this rifle re-barreled because I shoot it in competition that requires that the rifle has the original barrel.

Thanks,

Bustard

StrawHat
11-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Not sure anyone would want to tackle that job. Setting the barrel back will mess with the magazine tube, so that will need to be cut back also.

Perhaps less costly would be to have the barrel lined back to the original cartridge. Or cut for a larger bore and cartridge, ie 38 WCF.

Kevin

bosterr
11-13-2015, 08:16 AM
I sent my 100 year old plus '94 Marlin 32-20 to Redman's for a re-line. The barrel at the muzzle looks original and is a tack driver.

JSnover
11-13-2015, 04:26 PM
Not sure anyone would want to tackle that job. Setting the barrel back will mess with the magazine tube, so that will need to be cut back also.
I'm not a gunsmith and I don't play one on TV (or the internet). Would it really be tough to set the barrel back one thread and trim the mag tube to match? I haven't had the forend off my 1894 but there doesn't seem to be a lot going on, externally.

bob208
11-13-2015, 05:00 PM
just bore out the chamber, Loctite in a sleeve and rechamber. no set back problems no liners to install.

Greg S
11-14-2015, 03:07 AM
I don't know the thread pitch/dia but a custom 1895 50 Alaskan had a low count square thread if I recall correctly. In addition to the mag tube the fore end wood would need to be adjusted. Either or, it would probably be about the same, re-line or a set back, trim mag and fore end wood but with a reline it would be a completely new bore.

The question is, is a one thread cutback going to correct your throat/lead? Get a professional opinion with someone with a bore scope or maybe a chamber cast.

Bjornb
11-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Send a PM to Goodsteel. Gunsmith par excellence, charges reasonable rates and is a good guy.

John 242
11-16-2015, 12:57 AM
The question is, is a one thread cutback going to correct your throat/lead? Get a professional opinion with someone with a bore scope or maybe a chamber cast.

Good point. Great point, actually.

SOFMatchstaff
11-20-2015, 08:32 PM
What is the specific problem with the chamber?? Scratched, wrung, out of round, ??? headspace off? Lots of repairs can be tuned to the individual problem with out having to get into Major machine work if we know what it is that isnt working correctly.