PDA

View Full Version : Refinished A 96 Swedish Mauser.

leadman
11-12-2015, 11:23 PM
I bought this Swedish Mauser in Feb and fired a few rounds of S&B ammo to see how it shot. Accuracy was not as good as it could be so checked the bedding and found the stock bearing on the stock in 2 spots, then put it in the safe.
When I bought it the stock and some of the metal had been sanded by a previous owner. I got it out and finished the stock and cold blued most of the metal with OxphoBlue. I did relie153225ve the stock in several spots while it was apart.

leebuilder
11-13-2015, 07:38 AM
Nice rifle, fine job on the stock. Some of the S&B ammo is under size, try some other brands or hand loads. They ususally are impressivly accurate of the rack.
be well

Rustyleee
11-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Try some Norma ammo if you can get it.

Huffmanite
11-13-2015, 02:20 PM
I'd try some of the Prvi Partizan 120gr match ammo. I've used it in the past with decent results. Costs under $2 more than Priv's other 6.5x55 ammo. Graf's has a decent price on it and has a fairly low shipping cost. P.S., Prvi Partizan ammo is fairly low priced.

higgins
11-13-2015, 04:10 PM
I had a Swede that had too much clearance under the recoil lug. When the guard screws were tightened there was way too much up-pressure on the barrel in the barrel channel. Check the clearance under the lug with some clay or putty with the guard screws snugged down. This problem is more likely if the stock isn't numbered to the gun, but could occur with an original stock. I noticed that the clearance was a hair more than the thickness of a refrigerator magnet, so that's what I shimmed the bottom of the lug with. I considered it a temporary fix, but it's was in place as long as I had the gun.

mac60
11-13-2015, 11:24 PM
You've done a nice job with it. The rifle looks great. I had accuracy issues with mine when I first got it. It took several hours with the foul out machine, but when I got the bore truly clean accuracy got a lot better. The M-96 Swedish Mauser is a fine rifle if there ever was one.

mrrch
11-14-2015, 12:09 PM
+1 on cleaning the the bore, repeat numerous times. If you think it is clean keep going :)
Looks great