PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Kinetic Puller Broke

OptimusPanda
11-12-2015, 11:02 PM
The young girl finally gave up on me. Went to pull a .223 apart and on the second hit I was left holding the handle. Oh well. Out of curiosity, how many of you have broken these or similar ones? How long did they last? My sample size of one is a poor data set. If I were guessing, I'd say it pulled no more than 300 cartridges apart. Just my luck too as I was using since I don't have the .22 collet for the the rcbs press mounted puller. I hate it when equipment mocks me.

L Erie Caster
11-12-2015, 11:25 PM
I have broke 3 or 4 over the years. They are all more or less the same quality wise. Midway juat had them on sale. I bought a Lyman $15 and a Frankford $13. The Lyman feals better in your hand.

tazman
11-12-2015, 11:40 PM
I just broke my RCBS bullet puller last week. I had it for nearly 40 years but really didn't use it a lot.

jmorris
11-12-2015, 11:48 PM
I broke one over the last 30+ years, it was an RCBS.

Wasalmonslayer
11-13-2015, 12:02 AM
I broke one too.
Contacted rcbs by email and I had a new one in 3 days no charge.
You can't beat there service!
Give em a chance they will most likely take care of you.

EDG
11-13-2015, 12:20 AM
Mine is the same design but branded Quinetics. I have had it about 40 years. Most bullets I pull are pretty heavy and are easy to pull.

Pulling light .22 cal bullets require you to beat the puller to death.

Mica_Hiebert
11-13-2015, 12:56 AM
i use my collet puller for everything except bullets that have been shoved down inside a case too deep to grip.

OptimusPanda
11-13-2015, 01:21 AM
Interesting idea wasalmonslayer...the once or twice I've had to call rcbs (or anyone else for that matter) they have been quite helpful in fixing whatever broke. Although I may take use the opportunity to buy something better...and a stupid 22 collet.

swamp
11-13-2015, 01:56 AM
RCBS replaced mine when a round of 8mm went off and blew it apart. Real exiting for a bit. Always had good service from RCBS.
swamp

paul h
11-13-2015, 02:01 AM
i use my collet puller for everything except bullets that have been shoved down inside a case too deep to grip.

Dittos on the collet puller. Between the effort and time of use a collet puller and the occasional round going off in a kinetic it's a collet puller for me.

therealhitman
11-13-2015, 02:02 AM
I've broken a couple now. But swamp gets the prize. And an 8mm even!

dromia
11-13-2015, 03:33 AM
I've had a Quinetics for 30 years that will have done thousands of rounds over that time, contact face a bit chipped and worn but still going strong.

I find a few lighter taps better than one big hefty one.

1johnlb
11-13-2015, 03:59 AM
I don't use my puller anymore except for short pistol calibers. I put them in the shell holder in the press without a die installed. Raise it up through the empty die hole and grip the bullet with a pair lineman pliers then lower the ram. Its much faster and less stressful.

Bullwolf
11-13-2015, 04:27 AM
I broke my older RCBS puller, pulling down oodles of old military 30'06 for components.

Probably shouldn't have been hitting rough concrete with it over and over, so it was likely my own fault. I'd been pulling some asphalt sealed ammo too without seating a tad deeper, just using good old brute force and ignorance.

I did not take advantage of the amazing RCBS warranty on that one, and replaced it with a Quinetics puller from the local fun store. (It was also green)

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0200/7794/products/quinetics_kinetic_bullet_puller_large.png?v=141775 1302

And was simply what was in stock at the time. I'd still happily purchase another RCBS kinetic puller.

I've treated the latest kinetic puller quite a bit nicer, and it's still chugging along for me. Like anything else made out of plastic it will eventually wear out, especially if you abuse it.

- Bullwolf

ukrifleman
11-13-2015, 07:11 AM
I've had a Quinetics for 30 years that will have done thousands of rounds over that time, contact face a bit chipped and worn but still going strong.

I find a few lighter taps better than one big hefty one.

+1 for the Quinetics puller, I have also had one for a number of years and it is still going strong.

ukrifleman

Rustyleee
11-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Yep, they break quite a lot.

OptimusPanda
11-13-2015, 09:47 AM
It's kinda funny, when I bought this one I went back and forth over whether it was better to have a single piece of molded plastic or two pieces of plastic and an aluminum haft between them. In the end I picked all plastic since there's no joints to fail. Unless of course it makes it's own. I wouldn't say I was especially kind to this one. I may try one of those quintetics that dromia and bullwolf are talking about. Maybe try not to beat the snot out of it on a concrete floor.

dudel
11-13-2015, 10:03 AM
I have a 25 yr old Midway and a 10 yr old Quinetics. I prefer the Quinetics with a single universal collet vs the Midway with three collets. Both are still going strong.

I stopped banging them on the concrete floor, and instead use a 2 foot scrap piece of pressure treated 6x6. Hammering on the end of the 6x6 is much quieter; and the projectiles still come out.

dudel
11-13-2015, 10:09 AM
...and a stupid 22 collet.

Some pullers will let you use a shell holder instead of a collet. The Lee shell holder for their priming tools might work as well. Not the quickest; but when the equipment mocks you , you need to have the last word.

Freightman
11-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Instead of hitting the concrete get you a section of a tree stump and hit it saves broken pullers.

cajun shooter
11-13-2015, 11:26 AM
I have used the RCBS hammer pullers since the 70's and have yet to break one. I had a friend that I taught to reload and I went to check out some problems he was having. He had broken the very first rule that I taught him and loaded while having some adult beverages. I had him pull some of the loads and noticed that he had the collet in the hammer upside down. The collet should go into the hammer with the rounded surface towards the up position. It will fit into the top this way and the hammer will work as designed. If put in upside down, the hammer will not deliver the force correctly and cause you to hit harder to loosen and release the bullet from the case.
I think that this may also be a cause of breakage. I have unloaded ammo up to 50 caliber and never broken any part of the hammers. I still have one of the ones I had back in the day. Later David

Hardcast416taylor
11-13-2015, 11:40 AM
I had an original model that I bought new waaaay back when they first came out. Fast forward and many rounds torn down by me and friends borrowing it for their mistakes in loading, the `hammer` finally broke behind the head. I contacted RCBS and was told to send them my broken `hammer`. I did and about 10 days later I got a new model in the mail free. My hammering surface I use to tear down loads on is a stack of 4"x4" blocks (3 high) screwed together and mounted on a 2"x12" board. Much better than beating on a concrete floor!Robert

To improve the small grip I slipped on a handle bar grip from a bicycle. This made for a larger grip and was more comfortable to use.

JRPVT
11-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Midway has the Lyman puller with metal shaft for $12 +change....had mine for years. Dave

abunaitoo
11-13-2015, 07:07 PM
I think RCBS will still replace it for free.
They did on the last one that I broke.
I've been through three of them.
All replaced by RCBS.
Just sent them a email, and they sent a new one out.
I felt bad about getting a new one every time, so I bought a new one.
I have two now.
I did notice that the first one I had lasted much longer than the last two.

Sweetpea
11-14-2015, 12:46 AM
Using the kinetic puller for light bullets is much the same as just beating your head against the floor...

bambambam
11-15-2015, 10:12 PM
Mine just recently broke,but it is the cap that screws on to hold the cartridge in.Luckly I had bought a backup.

TNsailorman
11-16-2015, 04:47 PM
I have a RCBS kinetic puller that I have been using for years and hundreds of rounds pulled. It is still working just fine. I use regular shell holders instead of the collets with mine. I also do not strike the hammer with heavy blows. If pulling down military ammo I use a piece of flat wood on the concrete floor to keep from damaging the puller face. Has worked for me for many years now.

Mytmousemalibu
11-16-2015, 07:45 PM
I think mine is a Cabelas unit, which I wonder who makes it, its all plastic and has 3 or 4 collets with it. It seems to work pretty good. I use a perfectly smooth 3x3x1" chunk of aluminum billet I scavenged from the scrap aluminum bin outside the machine shop from work. They have all kinds of handy chunks of scrap in there, nice bench block materials among other many uses!

firewalkerd1
11-17-2015, 12:23 AM
I had my RCBS since 1978 and pulled hundreds, military, commercial rifle and pistol. Pulling some military 30/06 this spring and the collet nut broke. Called RCBS and they sent a new nut that didn't fit. This happened twice and the third time a new complete kit came in the mail no charge. RCBS goes the extra mile with all their equipment.

dudel
11-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Mine just recently broke,but it is the cap that screws on to hold the cartridge in.Luckly I had bought a backup.

My first one did that. Fixed it with a hose clamp.

websterz
12-04-2015, 10:58 PM
I have five or six hundred rounds thru my Frankford and it's still going strong. I keep a piece of 3" diameter aluminum about 4" long on the bench for a hammerin' spot. I hold it in one hand and the puller in the other. Works fine for me.

John Boy
12-04-2015, 11:41 PM
Over the course of about 10 years- broke 2 Frankford pullers. Took a picture of the broken puller - sent an email to Battenfeld - free new ones arrived in the mail
http://www.btibrands.com/contact/

Le Loup Solitaire
12-05-2015, 12:16 AM
I have my original RCBS bullet puller for over 20 years now and nothing on it has broken. I rap it lightly on a chunk of oak several times rather than swinging for the fences. On some military ammo where a sealer or something was used I roll the necks on/in between the backs of two wood chisels...this causes the case necks to expand a little and the bullets come out easily. LLS

Lance Boyle
12-06-2015, 08:59 PM
I have the quinetics from around the late 80's. The universal jaws have some wear, the hammer face is little chewed from concrete floor hits, and the metal shaft has a slight curve to it now. :oops:

Still works!

FWIW I generally will use a forster bonanza collet pullet unless it's a cast lead bullet.

bangerjim
12-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Franklin Arsenal makes one with an aluminum handle.......if you want to pound the carp out yours.

My all-plastic RCBS unit has lasted thru probable over 500 pulls. (Knock on wood).

rbuck351
12-08-2015, 07:31 AM
How you hold these decides how long it will last. I wore out several of the little aluminum 3 piece collett things before learning of the shell holder fix. I have been using mine for about 30 years without breaking it. Hold the very end of the handle with just your thumb and fore finger loosely. With light bullets you have to swing it very fast but let it rebound. DO NOT grip the handle firmly. I use either the concrete floor or a piece of RR iron to strike it against. Years ago a friend broke an all plastic one and then bent one with an aluminum handle before figuring out how to hold it. I learned from him and haven't broke one. I believe they pull better with a very light grip as well as that allows the hammer to rebound rapidly adding pull to the bullet.