PDA

View Full Version : Question for RCBS Little Dandy users

three50seven
11-12-2015, 10:05 PM
I just purchased two Little Dandy powder measures with a total of five rotors for what I considered a really good price. I downloaded and printed the chart from RCBS showing which rotors to use, etc.

Currently, I place a primed case into the press and expand the mouth using a Lee powder-through expander die. I then drop a charge from my Uniflow into the pan and weigh it on a digital scale (not every charge, but every 3rd or so if loading target/plinking ammo), if the charge is within .1 of the desired charge weight, I drop it into the case and move on to bullet seating.

My question is this, what is your loading sequence using the Little Dandy?

Theoretically, each charge is going to be identical, if not really close since the charge weight is fixed. So could you drop directly into the case and give them each a visual inspection and only weigh a few charges from each batch just to check? This seems like a pretty sound method unless you are loading to max levels or precision, neither of which the Little Dandy is really intended for.

BNE
11-12-2015, 10:29 PM
Theoretically, each charge is going to be identical, if not really close since the charge weight is fixed. So could you drop directly into the case and give them each a visual inspection and only weigh a few charges from each batch just to check? This seems like a pretty sound method unless you are loading to max levels or precision, neither of which the Little Dandy is really intended for.

This is basically what I do. I found that if I "double tap" the rotor on the up / refill position, it makes the charge VERY consistent. I measure the first few powder drops and as long as it is consistent I will drop back and check about 1 out of 20. BUT, I do have them in a tray and visually look for low or high charges. I also will intentionally double charge a case to show myself the difference. (I am WAY more concerned with a double charge than a low charge!)

I would check about 10 in a row and convince yourself that the powder and the drop method are consistent.

BNE

EDG
11-13-2015, 12:17 AM
I use the LD for moderate loads of Unique and top loads of spherical powers.

The sperical powders measure very consistently. Unique is not quite so consistent but I drop it into a loading block full of cases and compare all of them visually before seating the bullets. I use a good flash light to make sure each case has the same powder level in it.

three50seven
11-13-2015, 07:46 AM
Thanks to both of you for your input. I'm not a fan of change, especially when it comes to my reloading methods, but there's something about this little powder measure that I really like!

Char-Gar
11-13-2015, 01:31 PM
The Little Dandy is an excellent system. I set it up, throw ten charges weight and divide by 10. That is the charge weight, that rotor throws with that powder. I then keep careful notes and that is the end of that.

I have a powder weight installed which enhances uniform charge weight. I don't have a pic of the LD with the weight in place, but here is a similar weight on a Lyman 55 so you can get the idea.

toallmy
11-13-2015, 05:26 PM
I place my brass after mouth expanded into 50 round loading blocks and go down the line dropping powder into the cases , then visually inspect. I set up my rcbs scale on the loading bench and through a charge in it occasionally but I have kind of got to trusting my L.D.. I do check all the high or low loads but it is faster to just dump that charge and throw another. But I load all the same head stamp in lots. Don't run it to low on powder and be constant in your throws thay are +- .1 most of the time. By the way those little battery scales at not all +-.1 all the time. Play with it until you can trust it.

EDG
11-13-2015, 05:41 PM
If you dig around you will find that at RCBS nozzles that were made of steel that fit the Uniflow measure.
I think they are 30 cal, 22 cal and 17 cal.
They also fit the Little Dandy and powder are less likely to have static cling with the metal nozzles.

Green Frog
11-14-2015, 12:05 PM
I place my brass after mouth expanded into 50 round loading blocks and go down the line dropping powder into the cases , then visually inspect. I set up my rcbs scale on the loading bench and through a charge in it occasionally but I have kind of got to trusting my L.D.. I do check all the high or low loads but it is faster to just dump that charge and throw another. But I load all the same head stamp in lots. Don't run it to low on powder and be constant in your throws thay are +- .1 most of the time. By the way those little battery scales at not all +-.1 all the time. Play with it until you can trust it.

^^ What he said! ^^
I usually weigh only one or two charges at the start of a session, then settle for checking the charged cases for consistent powder column height as described above. I don't use ANY powder measure to throw maximum charges so I'm really not worried about getting disastrous overcharges. Depending on which of several setups I use, I may take the case to the measure, or the measure to the case... usually the former because for me it's more consistent this way.

Froggie

Outpost75
11-14-2015, 12:16 PM
I use the Little Dandy alot for small cases, such as the .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, .380 ACP and .38 Special.

I charge 50 cases at a time in a loading block and then visually inspect every case 100% for proper powder fill, comparing the powder level with adjacent cases and also being observant of any spilled powder around the cases, which prompts pulling out and dumping those suspect cases and their adjacents and recharging them more carefully. Each time I set up and fill the measure I dump ten charges onto the scale pan and check them, checking the scale against 1 gram and 10 gram standards.

three50seven
11-14-2015, 01:38 PM
I'm definitely going to start charging all my cases at once and setting them in a block for inspection. This seems like a safe and efficient method for loading large quantities.

375supermag
11-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Hi...I can only echo what others have said...the Little Dandy works great.

I always run ten charges and weigh them when setting up for a load. I weigh every tenth charge thereafter. I load in batches with 50-round trays...I just weigh check 5 random charges and visually check the rest in the tray and again before I seat the bullet.

Every time I refill the powder hopper I weigh ten charges before resuming charging cases. I usually load about 250-500 rounds at a time and can make pretty decent time if I start with primed and flared cases. The prep time to de-prime, re-prime and flare cases is where the time is expended.

ironhead7544
11-15-2015, 02:11 PM
The Little Dandy is quite accurate. Use powders that flow through it easily and dont worry about it. Check the first charges with a newly filled hopper.

The listed charges may not match what you really get so keep that in mind.

toallmy
11-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Yes sir the little dandy makes loading almost fun. Click click loading block is charged. You can find some good deals on eBay with a few powder roters 25 -35 bucks well spent .

Green Frog
11-15-2015, 07:10 PM
If you want to buy a complete set of 28 rotors all at once, be ready for some sticker shock! I got a complete set over the years buying them when I could find a couple at a time (cheaply.) There is a guy named "Baileyboats" who made an adjustable rotor for them too. I'm not sure I would try to replace the set I have from scratch if I had to buy it outright. Slightly off topic, both the Lyman Accumeasure and the Pacific Pistol Measure worked the same way but had a smaller number of rotors available. Both are now discontinued.

Froggie

Doc Highwall
11-15-2015, 09:09 PM
I have one with all the rotors and I really like it. What I do is look at the chart and if the rotor is suppose to throw say 7.2 grains of X powder, I will throw 10 charges and then weigh it and divide by 10 to get an average. I do this 3 or 4 times to help me find a good repeatable charge.

When I have confidence that I am repeating the charge weight I usually will charge 50 cases at once, then using a flash light at an angle I will look into each case going down each row looking for a case that appears either higher or lower then the rest and pull it out and weight it. I don't use this for full charges but I have no problem with say light to mid-range loads like 8-10 grains of Unique in a 30-30 case.