PDA

View Full Version : 30/30 question.

twc1964
11-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Hi folks, im am about to try my hand at loading cast for my marlin. I have the lee .309-170rf boolit powder coated and sized .311, a baggie of clean once fired brass and my rcbs die set, its full length. My question is, since ive not worked with this caliber, should i full length size my cases? These were fired from asst other rifles. I dont want to trash my cases as i dont have that many. Any helpful hints would be greatly appeciated. Oh, im buying a lyman m die and a lee factory crimp die along with a wilson case gauge. I have done 223 for my black rifle, is this done the same way? Thx again.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-12-2015, 07:55 PM
Since they were fired in rifles other than the one you intend to load for you would be wise to try them in your chamber. If some or all will fit the chamber and extract, then all you need to do is neck size. But I suspect that I would probably full length size all of them the first time, and neck size only thereafter.

11-12-2015, 08:38 PM
I'd start out and FL size them all, just to make it a uniform start point. Size them carefully as .30-30 brass can be "fragile" and will deform rather easily if manhandled roughly. The M die and factory crimp are good choices, in my opinion. Once fire formed in your chamber you might want to give a neck sizer or collet sizer a go. Either should give you a little more case life and an edge for accuracy. Good luck!

plainsman456
11-12-2015, 09:09 PM
Because they were fired in different rifles they need to be full sized,after being shot in your rifle you could neck size.

One thing you need to make sure of,is the cases need to be the same length if you are going to crimp them.

birddog
11-12-2015, 09:53 PM
For neck sizing, I really like the lee collet die. Works very well and results are great!
Charlie

twc1964
11-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Birddog, i was just looking at that die moments ago. Think i will pick one up. Thx

twc1964
11-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Thx to all who replied to my query. Im going to pick up a collet neck sizing die. Think il just do a few at first to make sure my technique is good before i do all 150 pcs. I cant wait to do some load testing. My 18 yo daughter loves shooting this rifle and factory stuff gets a bit pricey lol.

Hick
11-13-2015, 11:01 PM
All the brass I use with my 30-30 I bought as "once-fired." I FL sized just the first time and only neck sized since-- but only using the same brass for the same rifle.. I picked up that practice from lots of shooters who know lots more than me, and it works great, so I recommend doing the same.

popper
11-14-2015, 07:27 PM
FL all the time. If you set your die right, just touching the shoulder, it will do the neck size for you. Standard 30/30 M die won't cut it, you need the 31P or get one from NOE that fits in the Lee flare tool - which works best for me anyway as I don't trim 30/30. Your cases should be good until you get neck splits or loose PP, I don't even count the number of times. Lee FCD is a winner as is the Lyman universal decapper - loose the spud in the RCBS. Use H4895 and you can download to youth levels for the kid.

twc1964
11-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Popper, what exactly is the 31p ? Im not familiar with mdies, so im sorta in the dark. Also , thx for all the replies folks.

charlie b
11-15-2015, 05:41 PM
I got Lee dies for mine, including the factory crimp die, collet neck sizing die and universal expander.

All my brass came from Remington factory loads so I have not used the FL die yet. Yes, you have to clean the barrel well between J bullets and cast. My reloads have been Meister cast bullets until I decide what kind of moulds I want to buy for it.

Given the great deal of fun we have with mouse fart loads I think my first mould will be the little Lee 309-113. I have considered getting the 230gn Lee (single loading) and see what can be done with it.