PDA

View Full Version : 12 step program

chrisx1
04-11-2008, 10:52 PM
Is there a program called RA (Reloaders Anonymous)?

I have heard that the first step is admit you have a problem.......

I took a day off of work today to set up my new Hornady LNL AP.......

I didn't tell the wife that I was going to stay home because I wanted to aviod the honey-do jobs that she would invariably come up with if she knew I was taking a day off....

.....Anyway, I got it set up and loaded about 300 .45's before noon, ordered more shell plates and extra parts to have on hand after lunch.

Very nice machine, seems to be well made, worked well out of the box with very little adjustment.

I did read (on this site or some other) that the instructions seemed to be written by a drunk dyslexic 6th grader.....I think that's giving them too much credit. If anyone else gets one of these in the future, here's all the instruction you need:

Step 1 - Throw away instruction booklet.

Step 2 - just bolt it down and use a little common sense, it will work.

If you read the instructions, you will only be confused.

Chris

454PB
04-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes, there is a program, you obviously have a problem, and I'll be glad to be your sponsor. Step one is to send all your reloading equipment to me. Please PM me with the estimated amount and weight of equipment so I know how big the truck has to be.

dmftoy1
04-12-2008, 06:39 AM
You would be good to get rid of all the equipment now . ..otherwise you're headed down the road to the following:

1. Buy more brass because new progressive reloader works so well you want to do larger batches at a time.
2. After loading up 3500 rounds of .45 acp realize that you are now out of brass to reload.
3. Start shooting and inviting family and friends so you can unload those 3500 rounds such that they can be reloaded.
4. Realize that 1000 primers on hand is nowhere near enough . . . .start ordering 5000 at a time.
5. Realize that your little tumbler isn't big enough to clean 3500 rounds . . . order a new bigger one
6. . ..

You get the picture. :)

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-12-2008, 02:33 PM
6. Start calling reloader friends to do group buys.....
7. Get into casting and the whole thing starts over, except now you're buying all new "goodies"...

It never ends and it looks like it's too late for you, you have to feed that progressive you thought you had to have.......it's hungry and you've run out of primers and bullets.....

Dave

August
04-12-2008, 07:41 PM
You DO NOT need a 12 step program. Once you're healthy enough to put your hobbies ahead of your job and your wife, you are well on your way to eternal happiness and serenity.

GOOD ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are a couple of good reads:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819984

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314049

Enjoy your new found peace and harmony!!!

chrisx1
04-12-2008, 10:02 PM
You guys are right....I think it's too late for me....

And Dave, you are very right.....less than 48 hrs after the press was delivered to my house, I'm out of bullets and primers both.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
04-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Christ,

Grin, that's exactly what happened to me when my Hornady LnL arrived 7 years or so ago. I got it setup and about the time I got used to it, I was out of primers and bullets. Didn't have much powder either.

Now I buy in bulk and have plenty of supplies on hand when I want to reload a caliber.

Dave

38 Super Auto
04-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Is there a program called RA (Reloaders Anonymous)?

I have heard that the first step is admit you have a problem.......
<snip>
I took a day off of work today to set up my new Hornady LNL AP.......

I think sometimes I enjoy casting and reloading more than I do shooting, but then I get out to the range and that concept goes by the wayside...

I think one think you didn't mention is modifying, upgrading, and optimizing the equipment and process we know as handcrafting ammunition. :Fire:

Alchemist
04-13-2008, 06:13 PM
Chrisx1

Just remember that you'll HAVE to go to work to support your reloading habit. :twisted: Oh, the cruelty of life! So, does the wife leave for work before you? How does this work? You MUST share details! Others want to know.

That LNL AP has the free bullets offer, yes? That might ease withdrawal symptoms somewhat.

Are you in the Kirksville area? Lotsa big deer over that way!

Alchemist

chrisx1
04-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Yep, if I work things right, she leaves before me.....she's pretty good at keeping tabs on me though, there's no fooling her, I just wait till the very last minute to tell her.....

I'm in Lewis county, over on the river, about 50 miles east of Kirksville.