PDA

View Full Version : what if any mods do you make to any hand gun for cast boolist?

mozeppa
11-12-2015, 04:19 PM
i have several auto's and wheel guns.

do you need to do anything to the gun when shooting cast exclusively?

Hickok
11-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Clean out the bore to remove any copper fowling. I use Sweet's 7.62 for this chore. (And if someone faints, you can put the Sweet's under their nose and it will bring them back to reality) Real potent ammonia smell!!!:happy dance:

Tom W.
11-12-2015, 08:09 PM
I just cleaned the pistols and started shooting. To this day they are still nice and clean, the cartridges fit, and the pistol goes into battery. I do clean them after each range session though.

tazman
11-12-2015, 11:00 PM
I assume you are talking about mechanical things such a forcing cones and reaming out throats. First thing is to try out several boolit/powder combinations and see how they shoot.
Most handguns really don't need anything to shoot well with cast. If you find a problem then determine what is causing it and fix that particular problem. If it shoots well, don't try to "improve" it. You may actually make it worse.

spfd1903
11-12-2015, 11:12 PM
I have sent two Ruger .45 Colt revolvers to Doug guy to have the cylinder throats increased in diameter. One I sent just the cylinder, and fire lapped the barrel myself. The other one I sent him the whole revolver to do the throats and put an eleven degree bevel on the forcing cone. They both shot FMJ 250 grain bullets accurately before, but not boolits. Now the boolits shoot great groups from both revolvers. Never changed anything on my semi-autos.

Jtarm
11-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Slug the chamber throats & bore. If the throats are too tight, you need to open them up. My experience is with revolvers. I've DIYed it using a technique documented by Veral Smith of LBT. Cost: $10 and lots of patience.

I also fire lap using LBTs paste.

GhostHawk
11-14-2015, 09:20 PM
I just shoot my 1911 Springfield Armory, I did play some with OAL until I was getting good plunk tests.
The more I shoot it the better it shoots. Or the better I shoot. But I am just looking for basic competance. Not comepeting or anything, I don't need speed, or super accuracy beyond what happens when I do my part right.