PDA

View Full Version : Lee Powder Dippers

BKS
11-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Well till I can buy a new scale it looks like I will be using my Lee powder dipper kit. I loaded some 45-70 rounds last night with Varget using them. I have been researching today and it appears that flake or ball powder is more accurate (weight wise) than stick powder.

What have been your experiences with these dippers and the powders?
Any powder recommendations for using them would be appreciated. I am loading .308 and 45-70 mainly with cast boolits.

I'm not looking to load hot rounds, just good rounds.

jmort
11-12-2015, 03:33 PM
I find they throw light if used the way Richard Lee recommends. Which is a really good thing if you don't have a scale. For me to get close to published data, I scoop and gently shake off excess. So to sound like a nanny, you really need a scale. Once you get your load dialed in you can put it away until you buy some new powder. I hate using scales, but they are a necessity.

BKS
11-12-2015, 04:51 PM
I have a scale, it just wont allow me to use a powder trickler. It is giving inconsistent readings. I dip a charge and pour it in the pan and then trickle it to where I want. Well, my scale, as I have found it today, has a history of not reading correctly when you trickle powder onto the pan. Sometimes it reads, sometimes it don't. I have found a variation of up to 2 grains from where it is supposed to be(Weighing charge, pour in case, and then re-weigh)

I have an Ohaus 10-10 that I need to send back to have it checked etc. It belonged to my Dad, who bought it in the 60's. Last time I used it, it wouldn't balance.

kungfustyle
11-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Sounds like you need a new scale. If you keep an eye out on Flee bay you or Swapping and selling you can generally find a good RCBS or Lyman 505 scale for cheep and a trickler is a must for stick powder. Even the Lee scale is very good. There is a love hate thing will all powder measures, but get in the neighborhood and trickle the rest. Zero it out the scale when you start. I find you need a level surface when you start helps and keep away from fans and airflow. If you have a weight like a boolit that you know the weight of you can use that to test it out before you get started.

EDG
11-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Unless the knife edges of your 10-10 are damages your scale should be easy to put back into use.

First make sure you get the dust off of the the beam, beam notches and out of the pivot bearings and off the knife edges.
then check to see if it will zero
If it zeros test it with check weights around the charge weights that you use.
If it does not zero make sure you are using the original pan and bail
If the pan and bail are the originals you may have to remove the bottom of the pan hanger and add a partial or remove a partial bird shot.
You can flatten a shot so you can remove part of it or add the piece to the bottom of the pan hanger.
When you get the scale to zero check it with check weights all along the range. Then every time you set it check it with the check weights.
Check at least 30 times before you use it.

I have a scale, it just wont allow me to use a powder trickler. It is giving inconsistent readings. I dip a charge and pour it in the pan and then trickle it to where I want. Well, my scale, as I have found it today, has a history of not reading correctly when you trickle powder onto the pan. Sometimes it reads, sometimes it don't. I have found a variation of up to 2 grains from where it is supposed to be(Weighing charge, pour in case, and then re-weigh)

I have an Ohaus 10-10 that I need to send back to have it checked etc. It belonged to my Dad, who bought it in the 60's. Last time I used it, it wouldn't balance.

opos
11-12-2015, 10:29 PM
I have a 5-0-5 that was getting "particular" about accuracy and repeatability..contacted RCBS and they sent me a pair of new agate bearings...works like new again...I've dipped with lee and home made dippers (shell case cut to size with a wire handle) and the into the scale pan and used an RCBS trickler to get the final weight ....it's amazing how close you can get the initial charge using the dipper...at the end of a "session" of loading I'm just about dead on each dip...On the scale....I zero and then test weigh using RCBS check weights that are close to the charge weight I'm using..it works for me.

country gent
11-12-2015, 10:51 PM
If youre using a diffrent surface for the scales chek to insure it is level in both planes ( side to side and front to back) also check flatness. Scales need a level flat surface to sit on to be accurate. A level base can easily be made from 1/4"-1/2" aluminum brass or steel plate, get a piece big enough for the scales to sit on ( if you want to trickle add to length for trickler). in one end 1/4" in from each end drill a #7 hole in each corner on the other end on center line of plate 1/4" in from edge drill another #7 hole and tap these 1/4 X20 thru. 3 allen head cap screws 1 1/2" long and nuts thru these holes allows the plate to be leveled to any surface aiding in zeroing scales. Set this plate up level in both planes by adjusting the 3 screws and try scales on it. Even digitals are suseptable to unlevel surfaces causing issues. Clean the balance scales with canned air and a soft brush, removing dust and other crud. A static ground may help in some conditions. While most digitals have the resolution to wieght fine charges they dont have the sensitivity to easily trickle into, by the time they pick up the change you are past the point you want. SOmetimes starting 3 grns or so light and trickling slowly and steadily not stopping once it starts to read changes helps. A icey straw ( has the little spoon on the end) can be used in place of a trickler. pick up a few grains of powder with the end and drop in pan and wait to see it register.

Garyshome
11-12-2015, 10:53 PM
Pick up a Lee scale until you can get a better one. They work pretty well and there is a good re sale market for them.

Mk42gunner
11-13-2015, 03:25 AM
I'll throw my two cents in as well. Clean and level your scale, then test it by weighing various items. Scale check weights would be ideal, but to test sensitivity they aren't strictly necessary; small bits of wire or pieces of a paperclip will work. For accuracy and piece of mind, scale check weights are cheap insurance.

I don't care for powder tricklers, I find I can use a dipper to fill the scale pan then add powder a few granules at a time to get the correct weight faster than I can by twirling the trickler. I've had three or four tricklers over the years and finally decided to keep the last one around so I won't be tempted to buy another.

I started loading metallic cartridges by using a teaspoon to dip 3031 from a coffee cup into a scale pan for .22-250 coyote loads.

Robert

BKS
11-13-2015, 08:48 AM
153231 I wanted to thank everyone. Especially for the advice on cleaning my dad's 10-10 scale. It cleaned the dust off everything and after a little bit, I had it set up and working.
I checked it and re checked it and it consistently returned to zero. I attached a picturebof tge box to show how old this scale is.

jmort
11-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Problem solved. Good for you, that is a good scale.

Tackleberry41
11-13-2015, 01:38 PM
I still use my Lee dippers, tho not the way intended. They have that handy slide out chart that comes with the Lee disc powder measure. I can look up the CC on the chart, pick a dipper that will get me close, use that to get most of the powder charge, dump it in the scale, trickle the last little bit, saves time. Sometimes it works out where you need a .5 and .7 together to get you there, but still saves time.

mdi
11-13-2015, 02:11 PM
I use dippers sometimes when my powder measure is already "dialed in" to a specific load I'm using. I started with dippers only, using them as Lee instructions. Then I got a scale and a reloading manual. I found I could vary the charge by changing my method. I get a slightly heavier charge if I run the dipper mouth first through the powder, and even higher if I run it through mouth first twice. By varying the method (frontwards, backwards, shaking, striking w/straight edge, etc.) you can get a good range around the initial charge. When I was using a dipper a lot, and was on a roll, I could easily keep .1 grain variation of W231 and Bullseye, and found measuring Unique was closer with a dipper, round to round, than my powder measures...

EDG
11-13-2015, 08:51 PM
I use the dippers for working up loads. The dipper is used to drop the load light in a scale and then it is used as a trickler.

Once the loads are worked up and known to be safe and accurate I use an auto dispenser for large quantities.

JWFilips
11-13-2015, 09:40 PM
I have found that if you develop a "feel" for dipping the Lee's can be quite accurate. But more often then not I use two to drop a charge. The large one gets you close the small one fine tunes it! I can most times get within .10 of a grain with good consistancy but you have to become a machine!
Another "help" when using them: if you can throw a consistant charge...but not exactly what you want...Just use that! They are not rocket science but Make sure you weigh each charge
( I still prefer a "real" powder measure! ) but the dipps are good when you want to try a few rounds of a different powder but don't want to dump a full resivoir of your standard powder in your "real' measure

mongoose33
11-14-2015, 01:00 AM
When I'm working up loads sometimes I'll just dump some powder into a small container and use the dippers to dip powder onto the pan on the scale.

You *can* develop a feel where you can produce very close numbers.

BTW, if you're looking for an electronic scale at a reasonable price, look at the Lyman 1500. My brother bought one, and it was dead perfect on with my check weights. I bought one as well after that, and same deal.

It's fast, consistent, accurate, and a great scale for the price. I also have a Dillon D-Terminator electronic scale which is also great, and the Lyman is just as great--for much less than half the price.

Geezer in NH
11-14-2015, 07:30 PM
I usually throw them away as soon as I open a die set

Frank V
11-29-2015, 11:05 PM
I have thought of getting a set of the Lee powder dippers for loading handgun ctgs.
It might be fast if you have a dipper that throws the charge you want.

Tom W.
12-07-2015, 09:08 PM
The dippers are great if you are going to punch paper and plink. They are also good to dip a close charge and trickle the remainder onto your scale. I can't recommend a Lee scale. I'm in the market for one, probably a RCBS 5-0-5 or the Hornady equivalent.

Le Loup Solitaire
12-07-2015, 10:40 PM
When looking for a used scale you can usually find a few different kinds on E-Bay if you are willing to put up with the bidding nonsense. the scales are usually reasonably priced. Don't overlook the old Reddings as they were once quite popular and had good reputations. RCBS, Lyman and Hornady do well too. A set of weights is a good accessory to have...new they can be a bit spendy, but with a little planning you can make your own. They keep your scale and PM honest. LLS

Frank V
12-08-2015, 08:15 PM
I think a quality balance beam scale should be on every reloaders bench.
It just makes sence to check powder charges. I ALWAYS set my powder measure with the scale.:D

Boyscout
12-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Dittos on using the Lee dippers and the chart to get as close as possible and then trickling the last bit of the charge. I scale all of my hunting ammunition.

shtur
12-17-2015, 11:39 PM
I have never been able to obtain a consistent powder charge with any Lee dipper. Since I single load rifle loads, I use them as a modified trickler for rifle only. I fill it close to level and pour the powder, then scoop additional powder and trickle it into the weighing pan until the needle points to zero.

Mike Kerr
12-18-2015, 05:20 PM
Powder dippers seem like an imprecise tool, but they sure can fill in the gaps in loading. I still have a set and use one or two of them from time to time.

10x
12-25-2015, 09:44 AM
Sounds like you need a new scale. If you keep an eye out on Flee bay you or Swapping and selling you can generally find a good RCBS or Lyman 505 scale for cheep and a trickler is a must for stick powder. Even the Lee scale is very good. There is a love hate thing will all powder measures, but get in the neighborhood and trickle the rest. Zero it out the scale when you start. I find you need a level surface when you start helps and keep away from fans and airflow. If you have a weight like a boolit that you know the weight of you can use that to test it out before you get started.

And I just read the thread - my advice is redundant...

It could be that the scale needs a good cleaning. The critical points are the beam bearings. To clean, remove the beam and clean the bearing recess with brake clean and a soft fine paint brush, also clean the sharp V edge of the bearing surface on the beam. Dust (or powder) can interfere with the free movement of the beam.. Check that the sharp edges of the bearing surface on the beam are not chipped or rounded.
If it an oil damped scale - check the oil damping pan and clean it.

I check to see if my scale is working properly by weighing at least 10 or so 45 grain factory bullets.
I then make sure the scale is zeroed, weight a 1 grain charge, dump it into a clean spoon without spilling, replace the pan on the scale then dump that charge back onto the scale - the scale should return to zero every time for ten weighs.
I then do that for 0.1 grains several times. The beam should go off zero with an empty pan, then return to zero when the charge is dumped back on.
Do this with a large grain powder - it is easier to keep track of the grains.

William Yanda
12-25-2015, 10:46 AM
I use dippers sometimes when my powder measure is already "dialed in" to a specific load I'm using. I started with dippers only, using them as Lee instructions. Then I got a scale and a reloading manual. I found I could vary the charge by changing my method. I get a slightly heavier charge if I run the dipper mouth first through the powder, and even higher if I run it through mouth first twice. By varying the method (frontwards, backwards, shaking, striking w/straight edge, etc.) you can get a good range around the initial charge. When I was using a dipper a lot, and was on a roll, I could easily keep .1 grain variation of W231 and Bullseye, and found measuring Unique was closer with a dipper, round to round, than my powder measures...

Thanks for the ideas about technique. I suspect I found the following information here, I am not trying to claim credit for originating it. Volume of dippers can be varied by putting a piece of tape inside the dipper. This is reversible. If you are willing to dedicate a dipper to a given charge, the top can be filed or sanded to reduce the volume of each dipper full.

BKS
12-25-2015, 05:26 PM
RCBS sent me a new set of bearing for my Dad's 1010 scale and I will install them soon.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have learned tons from this website.

Frank V
12-25-2015, 11:13 PM
RCBS sent me a new set of bearing for my Dad's 1010 scale and I will install them soon.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have learned tons from this website.

That will be a great scale once you get it right.

richhodg66
12-26-2015, 10:18 AM
I bought a set of the Lee dippers with the slide rule thing about 25 years ago when I was just getting started and have been rather impressed by how much it has been used for various things. I think it cost me six or seven bucks and was probably one of thebetter things for the money I have bought over the years.

Frank V
12-26-2015, 11:30 PM
I have also been considering a set of Lee dippers, they should be fast for handguns if they fit the charges I use.

Tom W.
12-27-2015, 08:48 PM
A dipper full of Herco works well for my 9mm , the next size up for my .45.... However my loving bride got me an RCBS 502 scale for Christmas, just in case I have a powder that the dippers slide rule thing don't cover.

I wonder if the newer dippers have a more comprehensive slide rule....? :castmine:

Frank V
12-28-2015, 10:56 AM
A dipper full of Herco works well for my 9mm , the next size up for my .45.... However my loving bride got me an RCBS 502 scale for Christmas, just in case I have a powder that the dippers slide rule thing don't cover.

I wonder if the newer dippers have a more comprehensive slide rule....? :castmine:

Which dipper for the 9mm, I use Herco in the .38 Special.
Thanks

EDG
01-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Make your own record for your dippers using a spread sheet.
You can add any powder and weigh it in any dipper and record the results in the spread sheet.
If you know the specific gravity you can calculate dipper capacities but the results need to be verified by your powder scale.

You can find the RCBS Little Dandy chart on line an use it as an example.

I have a Litttle dandy chart but I do not like the powder across the top. So I put the dipper numbers at the top (in the top row) and I put the powders
in the left column. I think that makes for a more functional chart. You can scroll the spread sheet until the power you are using is in the row right under the powder dippers and pick the one you need.

In the RCBS Little Dandy chart there are a lot of NAs in the chart because they do not know of any cartridge that uses that powder charge. I use some powders for reduced loads in big bores and when I do I fill in the NAs in the Little Dandy chart.

Don Fischer
01-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Something to keep in mind about powder's. The coarser the powder, stick vrs ball, the less accurate by volume measurement. Think of a glass full of sand and a glass full of rock's. In the rocks is a lot of unused space between the rocks, not so with the sand. i can get awfully close duplicate's with powder thrown from my powder measure. small trick. When you go up the fill the powder cylinder, bump it a few time's before dumping it, settles the powder. Even easier to see it with a case. Dump a load into a case full to the rim. Now take a pencil and begin tapping the side of the case. You'll be able to see the powder settle.

Nice thing about beam scale's. Unless they are dirty or the aget is worn, pretty hard not to have them balance the same every time. My understanding with the digital is the battery get's low and the scale throws off!

Frank V
01-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Yup, I still think a balance beam scale is the way to go. With coarse powder I set it a grain or so light & trickle up to desired weight with my trickler & scale.

Ric-san
01-18-2016, 11:37 AM
My first year of reloading I almost exclusively used Lee dippers. I even modified some to different powder cc's to more match the Lee auto disks...worked like a champ, just time consuming...

eli
01-18-2016, 06:19 PM
I zero my RCBS 505 on a level surface, set my load weight on the scale, then use a single dipper to throw as close as I can. I use a Redding trickler, mounted on top of a Harbor Freight pocket size digital scale, which I use for separating cast bullets by weight (accurate to about two grains), so the trickler is well above the 505 and I drop in the final measure a grain or two at a time, though sometimes, depending on how close I can get with the dipper, it's more like winding a spring-drive clock in a hurry.

Every now and again, after setting the scale back to condition zero, I tap the beam so it bottom-outs smartly and I check that it's free to come back to zero. Sometimes the thing needs an adjustment of a tenth of a grain or so, but I think the small time it adds to a loading session is worth the peace of mind of knowing I am no experiencing an unknown power error.

I occasionally tap it while weighing, to make sure the beam is floating freely.

I should mention that I have my scale set to about eye level, so I can better eyeball the settings as I drop powder into the pan.

About using a steel plate as a level table, I personally would be concerned that it might have an effect on the magnetic damping field that RCBS/Ohaus built into the device.

If you've never noticed, turn your 505 upside down and you'll see two small magnets set opposite of each other, where the copper plate on the beam rides up and down.

I also recall reading that a florescent shop light above the scale can throw readings off.

Frank V
01-21-2016, 11:23 AM
I'm like eli, I use a balance beam scale even when using a powder measure & ball powders.
I like knowing exactly what charge I'm using even if I only check it now & then using ball powders.

mdi
01-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Another thought; I have "customized" several dippers to get closer to a specific powder charge. If I need less powder, I drop some epoxy into the dipper cavity to make it smaller (I have glued BBs inside to reduce capacity too), thus reducing the charge. If I need more powder I can ream out or drill the cavity a bit deeper. Experimenting is fun and harmless. I made several dippers from brass tubing and customized the charges for different loads...

With a good warm up and practice I can hold charges to 1/4 grain easily, I still check my "dips" with a beam scale, just like I would when using my C-H powder measure...

JeffG
01-24-2016, 12:54 AM
I love the dippers. There is definitely a technique to getting accurate scoops. I push the scoop down into the powder and let it run in, then lift it out and strike the heap off the top with the finger between two joints. I can keep the charges typically within .1 grain.

Greg_R
01-29-2016, 08:01 AM
I like the Lee dippers and find them very accurate. I push the dippers into the powder base first and let the powder flow over the sides, then strike it off.

The very first rounds I ever loaded used the Lee dippers. Can't remember the CC, but it was a Lee Load. Used 3031 powder and the Hornadt 150 grain spire point bullet. Three shot cloverleaf groups out of a Savage 110E at 100 yards!

Greg_R
01-29-2016, 01:18 PM
I like the Lee dippers and find them very accurate. I push the dippers into the powder base first and let the powder flow over the sides, then strike it off.

The very first rounds I ever loaded used the Lee dippers. Can't remember the CC, but it was a Lee Load. Used 3031 powder and the Hornadt 150 grain spire point bullet. Three shot cloverleaf groups out of a Savage 110E at 100 yards!

Frank V
01-29-2016, 10:49 PM
When I was in the Army I had my Brother make me a dipper for a certain powder charge. I had a Lee original reloading set but not a set of scales. My Brother made me a dipper & I loaded a lot of ammo with it & it shot well.
They do work!

44magLeo
01-30-2016, 12:52 PM
I have a set of the Lee dippers. As several have mentioned with a bit of practice most anyone can get charges within .1 or .2. There are powder charges that the dippers don't have. For those I use old cases I pick up.
I then trim them to get the charges I want.
On the Lee scale the thing I don't like about it is it only weighs up to 100 grs. Fine for most podwer charges but not much good for sorting large cast boolits.
I picked up a used Lyman 1000 scale. Works good for everything.
Leo

Frank V
01-30-2016, 09:05 PM
I like the Lyman reloading tools.

Dippers would probably work really well especially for pistol/revolver loads. Most of them are from 2-12grs to 30grs & dippers should handle that quite well.

trapper9260
01-31-2016, 10:49 AM
I bought a set of the Lee dippers with the slide rule thing about 25 years ago when I was just getting started and have been rather impressed by how much it has been used for various things. I think it cost me six or seven bucks and was probably one of thebetter things for the money I have bought over the years.

I have a slide that came with the dippers that my dad got back in the mid 80's and I call Lee up, about if they had a up dated one and then they sent me one for free.

Frank V
01-31-2016, 09:59 PM
I have a slide that came with the dippers that my dad got back in the mid 80's and I call Lee up, about if they had a up dated one and then they sent me one for free.

I think Lee's customer service is pretty good.
That was nice of them, do the updates show a lot of new/different powders & charges?

44magLeo
02-02-2016, 12:31 PM
If you have Lee's dipper set and the powder you want to use is not on the slide rule, take the one cc dipper. Dip this full of the powder you want to use, weigh it. Do this as many times as you need to feel confident you have an accurate reading. Now comes the easy part. Multiply the dippers size by the weight of one cc.
Lets say the powder you want to use weighs 37 grs. 37grs. x .5 cc = 18.5 grs, 37grs x 1.9 cc = 70.3grs. See, it's that easy. Do this for each dipper size, then you will have a list of the grs for each dipper size. Put this in the box with the dippers.
Leo

Bruntson
02-02-2016, 12:42 PM
As has been posted before, once you develop the feel on using dippers, they are accurate. The limitation comes in when you want a different charge that your dipper will throw. I've known guys that will make a dipper from an brass case and cut it down to throw the exact charge they want. I used the Lee dipper set for the first 4 years of reloading till I bought a Lyman #55 powder measure and scale.

Frank V
02-02-2016, 08:11 PM
As has been posted before, once you develop the feel on using dippers, they are accurate. The limitation comes in when you want a different charge that your dipper will throw. I've known guys that will make a dipper from an brass case and cut it down to throw the exact charge they want. I used the Lee dipper set for the first 4 years of reloading till I bought a Lyman #55 powder measure and scale.

The Lyman #55 powder measure is my favorite measure.

I've also made dippers to throw the exact charge I wanted.
I'm tempted to buy a set of Lee dippers, they aren't all that expensive.
I think they would be a fast way to measure powder charges for a handgun case.

Jeffjmr
03-02-2016, 10:22 PM
I took out two Lee dippers that came with some die sets today. I have never used them, but am about to need to for my 7.5mm Swiss Ordnance rounds.

The new chart says the .7cc dipper should throw 3.2 grains of Trail Boss, I weighed it at 4.0, and 5.2 grains 700X and I weighed it at 6.6! I remember being taught by a friend long ago about dipping not scooping, which I did carefully. But this is quite a difference, and opposite of what other threads say about the dippers being conservative. I haven't bothered to check the 4.0cc yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

Frank V
03-04-2016, 01:51 PM
I took out two Lee dippers that came with some die sets today. I have never used them, but am about to need to for my 7.5mm Swiss Ordnance rounds.

The new chart says the .7cc dipper should throw 3.2 grains of Trail Boss, I weighed it at 4.0, and 5.2 grains 700X and I weighed it at 6.6! I remember being taught by a friend long ago about dipping not scooping, which I did carefully. But this is quite a difference, and opposite of what other threads say about the dippers being conservative. I haven't bothered to check the 4.0cc yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

I'd do at least 10 dips before I would use it & make sure it's consistant & accurate. Even a little difference in how you dip them can make a difference in weight.

dps3006
03-05-2016, 08:24 PM
I am a big fan of the Lee dippers myself. I have a Lyman 55 but I can get a dipper out, check a few charges on my Lee scale and charge 20 rifle cases way faster. I can appreciate the build quality of the Lyman but when I am going to use a powder measure, I prefer the Lee Perfect powder measure. For me it's simpler to set up and use. I rarely load max loads so the dippers usually get me in a range to produce my plinking/target practice ammo.

Frank V
03-06-2016, 09:42 PM
I am a big fan of the Lee dippers myself. I have a Lyman 55 but I can get a dipper out, check a few charges on my Lee scale and charge 20 rifle cases way faster. I can appreciate the build quality of the Lyman but when I am going to use a powder measure, I prefer the Lee Perfect powder measure. For me it's simpler to set up and use. I rarely load max loads so the dippers usually get me in a range to produce my plinking/target practice ammo.

Welcome to the forum.

Screwbolts
03-10-2016, 08:00 AM
I am a big fan of dippers also. Because of the volume of powder used in my 50BMGs I made dippers to load with. For the small and the big stuff, dippers also work well.

Ken

dagunnut
03-10-2016, 09:40 AM
I have some custom dippers made from 22short, 32 S&W, and 45 acp brass and coat hanger wire. I find that volume measures work extremely consistent as long as you use the same method of filling. I push the measure into the powder base first until it spills over the top and strike the top flat/level with a playing card. I find that my charges when done this way have a .2 grain variance, so I never load to maximum charge weight for the cartridge.

Mario
dagunnut

Frank V
03-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Dippers can be fast & as long as you KNOW what the charge the dipper throws ( would want to check it against a scale), & are consistant in it's use, you'll be fine.

Rick Hodges
03-14-2016, 01:18 PM
I have an old set of dippers from the 70's. Not marked in cc's but with 3 place numbers. I still use them. If I am only loading a box or two of ammo, or for loading to test new loads, I dip and pour into the scale pan. It is much easier than setting up the powder measure for such a few loads.

Frank V
03-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Seems like a number of people use the Lee dippers. They do throw accurate charges used the same way each time.

mdi
03-15-2016, 12:55 PM
I first used a dipper for powder charges in 1969 with my Lee Loader. I used that method for 18 months before I could afford a scale and was totally satisfied with my ammo. Since then I have purchased a complete set of Lee dippers and made many dippers with "custom" charges for specific powders (along with 4 powder measures, and 3 scales). I used copper tubing, brass ferrels, empty cases, and wire or welding/brazing rod for handles. With practice and consistency dippers can be very accurate and repeatable. Different dipping methods will give different charges and I can vary the charges of most of my dippers (by dipping base first, run the dipper through the powder mouth first, shaking, striking, etc.) by as much as 2 grains...

Frank V
03-16-2016, 11:39 AM
Actually most powder measures work on the same principal, they dip from a resivoir of powder & dispense it into a container.
Done consistantly the Lee dippers will work well.

Screwbolts
03-19-2016, 08:09 AM
I have an old set of dippers from the 70's. Not marked in cc's but with 3 place numbers. I still use them. If I am only loading a box or two of ammo, or for loading to test new loads, I dip and pour into the scale pan. It is much easier than setting up the powder measure for such a few loads.

The older very nice 3 digit numbered dippers were calibrated to Cubic inch , I have them in black and red color. with both the older set CU" and a newer CC dippers it will give you more options.

Ken

Frank V
03-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Darn you guys are going to cause me to get a set of them!!!:Bright idea:

atlas366
04-18-2016, 09:08 AM
I use them for a few loads. The ones I have just seldom seem to line up with the load I want. The larger ones do make great sugar measures for bottle priming home-brew beers though.

Frank V
04-19-2016, 09:43 AM
I use them for a few loads. The ones I have just seldom seem to line up with the load I want. The larger ones do make great sugar measures for bottle priming home-brew beers though.

[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

marlinman93
05-08-2016, 09:00 PM
I have a brand new set of Lee dippers with the slide chart for powders. Still new in the box, and I don't use them. But not because they don't work! I literally wore a set out using them when I started out, and found this set at a gun show a few years back NIB for $5. Just brought back good memories of my beginnings in reloading, so I like having them.
Considering how many decades fellas loaded with all sorts of homemade dippers, I sure doubt the Lee dippers wont still work great!

Tom W.
05-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Frank, It's .5cc for the 9mm, and .7cc for the .45

sorry for being so late......

Frank V
05-10-2016, 11:44 AM
Frank, It's .5cc for the 9mm, and .7cc for the .45

sorry for being so late......

Thanks Tom.