PDA

View Full Version : 300gr 54cal R.E.A.L. in a 60 twist

Haywire Haywood
10-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Anyone have any luck getting the Lee 300gr R.E.A.L. to shoot accurately in a 60 twist barrel? I thought that short stubby thing might work with the RB twist.

Ian

Haywire Haywood
10-17-2005, 11:18 AM
Went out and shot them today... at 75gr of 2f, the first one hit about 2 feet high and 1 foot to the left. I remembered hearing somewhere that if you are trying to shoot something from barrel with too slow a twist that you need to drive it harder, so I upped the charge to 90gr. The next shot was dead center and 6" high. I was encouraged and made a few more shots at 90gr. The best I could do is keep them all on an 8x11 sheet of paper at 60yds. Totally random pattern. I had about 6 or 7 shots thru it without patching so I figured I'd better clean it before going further. I'll up the charge again to 110 and see what it does. If that doesn't help then I'm retiring that mold.

I have a Lee 535RB mold arriving today as the 530RBs also didn't want to shoot. After talking with someone that used to shoot competition Flinchlocks, he said that they used to shoot 535s with good luck. Mebbe a tighter ball/patch combo will be the trick. I bought this thing to shoot PRBs anyway.

Ian