PDA

View Full Version : Pulled Bullets- Do you full length resize the case?

BKS
11-12-2015, 11:31 AM
I was reloading for my 45-70 last night and detected something was wrong with my scale (low battery:oops:) Rather than chance a problem, I pulled all the bullets from the loads with an inertia puller and saved the powder and the bullets. I called myself partially resizing the cases but when I seated bullets in them later, they seemed to seat easier. I don't mean they were palling in the cases but you could tell the cases were completely resized. I crimped the bullets in the cases with a light crimp.
I used the lee dipper set to measure my powder for the reloads.
I'm shooting a mild trapdoor load, 42 +/- grains of Varget and a 405 gr bullet.
Should I just shoot these loads, save them for plinking, or what. I don't want to work the brass too much (?) by resizing it without shooting it.

Win94ae
11-12-2015, 05:29 PM
I'll resize any cases I pull bullets from.
You are the only one that can assess the quality of those cartridges.

triggerhappy243
11-14-2015, 03:14 AM
just resize half way down. the bullet being seated opened the case mouth some.

Fernando
11-14-2015, 07:55 AM
I'd shoot them if a single shot - if running in a magazine partial and crimp

Hickok
11-14-2015, 10:06 AM
I'll resize any cases I pull bullets from.
You are the only one that can assess the quality of those cartridges.My method also. I resize them, and then run them through the expander die again. Don't fret about overworking your brass, as it will be minimal.

kjorgy
11-15-2015, 10:36 AM
Yes I would always resize them especially if they are ran thru a expander die

eagle27
11-16-2015, 01:54 AM
Always full length resize cases I have pulled bullets from to ensure the same neck tension that I usually have with the reloaded ammo. You are not working the main body brass as it is already sized, just working the neck brass again and if your cases are ultimately failing because of neck splits or pin-holing then annealing will extend the case life.

sparky45
11-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Ditto what Hickok has said. Matter of fact I just started reloading some 9's I pulled down and full length resizing is what I do. I have found that some (small percentage) wouldn't pass the plunk test without full length resizing.

gwpercle
11-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Fully resize them, only the part that needs sizing will get sized. You will not be doing any harm to the cases, the sizing will be minimal at most and then you are back to square one with your loads.
Gary