PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Found A Ruger Single Six With32 H&R With Adjustable Sights

leadman
11-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Years ago I had to come up with some money fast so sold some guns to include my Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R Magnum. I have been looking for years to replace it but never had the funds at the right time.
Today my friend from Texas and I went on a gunshop tour and I found one. It is blued with a 6 1/2" barrel. Has a couple of spots of rust on it but the mechanics show very little shooting.We think it was stored in a holster.
After I bought the gun for a very good price along with a partial box of Federal 85gr JHP cartridges we went to Cabela's where I found a bag of Starline brass. I already have 32S&W dies that should work and a couple of molds.

This gun should allow me to shoot enough to stay in practice while not beating up my arthritic hands. I think my Ruger Old Model 44 mag is going down the road. Still have my Ruger SBH Hunter in 41 mag and S&W 27-2 for hunting if needed.

The sad part of today is I also have been looking for a Remington 788 left hand rifle to replace the one I sold in 308 also many years ago. Today in the same gunshop as the Ruger they had one but it was in 6mm Remington. Good price also. So I had to make a choice and the Ruger won out. I may search thru the gun safes to see what I could give up to buy the Remington.
Now to load up some ammo tomorrow!

LUCKYDAWG13
11-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Congrats on your new pistol Mark show us some pics when you can

shooting on a shoestring
11-11-2015, 10:44 PM
That's a happy story!
32 H&R and the Single Six, great combination.
I fell in love when a friend of mine got one soon after they came out in about 1984. Cute cartridge. Good feeling gun. Shot great. I didn't get to own one until about four or five years ago. Then I found two within about a year. Bought them both. 4&5/8" and 5&1/2". Both from mid eighties. They just make me smile when I see them.

Hope you have a good boolit.
I started with the RCBS 98 grain wadcutter. Could have stopped there. I really haven't improved on performance any, but I've acquired a couple of NOE moulds, 115 SWC that looks great, 105 grain round flat nose that works fine too.

Yep you have some good times coming! Good for you.

Fergie
11-11-2015, 11:24 PM
I've seen several up here in Flag, and one of the local shops now knows to check to see if I'm looking for any .32 H&Rs when they get one in.

Glad to hear you got a favorite back!

xxxx
11-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Leadman,

Bought mine when they first came out. The only revolver that I haven't traded off. Picture on last page of "show us your .32's".

Pete

leadman
11-12-2015, 11:15 PM
I do have a couple of boolits that should work. Cleaned it up externally today and did get some pictures that I will try to post. These are before I cleaned it.153220153221

rintinglen
11-13-2015, 02:06 PM
My neer-do-well of a brother managed to find one, a bisley no less, and refuses to sell it to me. I wanted one of those badly back in the day, but money was tight then and by the time I got cashed up, they were not to be had.

Now I have my 327 Single Sevens, which are swell, but not Bisleys. I still want one of those.

ReloaderFred
11-13-2015, 02:46 PM
I just had one of my .32 H&R Single Sixes out the other day, working on some loads. I haven't found "the load" just yet, but I've got several bullets to work with, and a bunch of powders. So far, the 80 gr. RN of all things, has proven to show the most promise, but I've got bullets up to 115 grains to work up loads for. The biggest problem I'm having so far is dropping those tiny charges of powder accurately, and I've got over half dozen different powder measures...

Fred

ejcrist
11-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Congratulations Lead Man - very happy for ya. Similar to your story, I used to have a Baby Vaquero in 32 H&R and sold it along with a couple of other firearms at the suggestion of a friend in order to fund another purchase. Up till that time I hadn't ever sold any firearms I bought over the years since I figured I'd get around to shooting them sooner or later - my life goes in cycle like that. Anyway, long story short, I regretted it about a day or two later and swore never to sell another unless it was an emergency like my Beagle needing surgery or something. It took me several years to find a decent Single Six w/6 1/2" barrel but I found one eventually and my universe is once again in order. So anyway I'm happy for you - I know the feeling. Good shootin'.

Gene

Jeff Michel
11-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Took my .32 for a walk Sunday with my dog Eddie. We both like Brunswick stew. Enjoy your Ruger.

c1skout
11-13-2015, 06:18 PM
I've been watching in my local shops for one of those also. I've never even seen one in person! Eventually one will turn up...... when I'm broke.

Dale53
11-13-2015, 06:59 PM
I had a Single Six in .32 Magnum with 4 5/8" barrel when they first hit the market. The RCBS 98 gr. SWC was an excellent bullet. I also had good results with a Lee 90 gr. full wadcutter. However, that mold was loaned out and never came back:(.

Recently, I discovered that NOE is running a copy of the RCBS bullet in a five cavity aluminum mold as well as several other options (brass, hollow point, etc). I ordered a five cavity aluminum mold. The NOE molds are as good as they get.

You might want to check this out - they will be run in a week or so, so if you are interested, DO NOT DELAY!

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,1191.0.html

Further, Mihec is running the prettiest little full wadcutter for the .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R Magnum at the same time.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?288649-32-cal-98-grain-LSWC-6cav-Aluminum-mold-MP-Molds-(MiHec)-Group-buy

These also will be run this coming week. These are for a six cavity aluminum mold, and again, truly great molds. I am on the list for this one, also.

I presently have three .32 H&R Magnums and these bullets will fuel them in the very near future.

I want to say again, if you are interested, DO NOT DELAY!

Shoot center! Congratulations to the O.P. This is a very useful and fun gun to shoot. They handle edible small game as well as anything out there and better than most.

Dale53

Zim
11-13-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm still hung up on the SEACO 325 SWC. My single
sixes shoot it well. I haven't shot it in the single seven yet. Still playing with the 115 gr. Doing so well, may not get back to it.

Green Frog
11-13-2015, 08:31 PM
NOE is getting ready to run a batch of 32 cal HBWC moulds in your choice of 2 cavity or 4 and brass or aluminum. I have no stake in this group buy except I ordered a 2 cavity brass. I want to try out some backwards loaded stopper loads with that big cavity at the business end. :cool:

Froggie

PS Here's the URL ~ http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=967.0
Here's hoping a couple more folks will see this and sign up... since lots of folks seem to like this caliber as a target round, this is a mould that should be in everyone's collection. There is just so dad gum much flexibility using this style bullet in the 38 Special, you know it will be great for the 32 S&W L and H&R as well. 8)

Zim
11-13-2015, 08:38 PM
The Mihec wadcutter, is it based on the H&G 98 gr? Looks very similar from the drawing.

Dale53
11-14-2015, 01:40 AM
Zim;
That's a question that I can't really answer. However, I am REALLY an admirer of that design (and have put my money where my mouth is:drinks:).

Dale53

Markbo
11-14-2015, 02:41 AM
I share your enthusiasm. Here is a pic of mine
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/Markbo_photos/Handguns/Revolvers/32HR1.jpg (http://s116.photobucket.com/user/Markbo_photos/media/Handguns/Revolvers/32HR1.jpg.html)

Green Frog
11-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Dale53, looking forward to your visit in a next week or so. I wish you could have gotten the NOE mould in and that we could compare that bullet with the slightly heavier SWC from my Mihec mould we played with a couple of years ago. I'm really wondering which will be more accurate, the bore diameter front band of the NOE or the bore riding nose of the Mihec on their respective bullets. I don't think the small difference in bullet weight will be as significant as the configuration, do you? I copied both bullet drawings and compared them side-by-side, but for some reason the copied files won't post here. :(

Froggie

dubber123
11-14-2015, 03:42 PM
I just had one of my .32 H&R Single Sixes out the other day, working on some loads. I haven't found "the load" just yet, but I've got several bullets to work with, and a bunch of powders. So far, the 80 gr. RN of all things, has proven to show the most promise, but I've got bullets up to 115 grains to work up loads for. The biggest problem I'm having so far is dropping those tiny charges of powder accurately, and I've got over half dozen different powder measures...

Fred

Fred, give the RCBS 98 SWC a try. It has shot a best of .6" for 6 at 25 yds. for me from my 6.5" Bisley. If you don't have baffles in your powder drops, try them too. I make my own from thin cardboard. I have been able to get my Lyman 55's to drop within a 1/10th of a grain or less down to 2.8 grains of Bullseye. I shoot 3.5 grains of Green Dot a lot in the .32's, and I can see practically no variation on the scale when I check my dropped charges. I could never do this before the baffles.

dubber123
11-14-2015, 03:46 PM
My neer-do-well of a brother managed to find one, a bisley no less, and refuses to sell it to me. I wanted one of those badly back in the day, but money was tight then and by the time I got cashed up, they were not to be had.

Now I have my 327 Single Sevens, which are swell, but not Bisleys. I still want one of those.

Haunt Gunbroker. I got out bid many times, but finally landed a very nice in the box fixed sight Bisley last year. I wanted this exact model, and ended up paying over $600 for it. I figured with my luck it would be the worst junk Ruger ever made when it arrived. I was very happily wrong. The throats are all the same, it has a great bore with NO constriction, (miracle), and I never even needed to tinker with the sights. I tuned the trigger to 1.5 pounds, and all is well with the world. They are super fun guns.

HATCH
11-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Whats the difference between a Single Six and a Blackhawk?
Just wondering because I have 3 Ruger Blackhawks (buckeye model) in 32/20 + 32hr

Markbo
11-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Size. The SS is a little smaller overall.

dubber123
11-14-2015, 09:01 PM
The frame is smaller on the Single Six, the grip frame is the same. I just put a stainless Single Six grip frame on a Blackhawk .45 Colt.

Those Buckeyes are highly sought after, which I am sure you know :)

ReloaderFred
11-15-2015, 01:51 AM
dubber123,

I just happened to have sized and lubed 500+ of the RCBS 98 gr. bullets this evening. They're on my list to try. I

've been using the Bair powder measures for the small drops, since I've got several different rotors for them. My Reddings didn't work for beans, but they've all got rifle rotors in them. I haven't tried my Hornady LnL measure yet, since it's mounted on my LnL press and I don't have a shellplate for the .32 H&R. I've been loading these on my Rockchucker for now, until I get a shellplate for the LnL, and find a load that I can live with.

I've only tried Winchester 231 and Bullseye, so far, since they've both worked so well in other calibers. I'll have to try the Green Dot, but I've also got several other powders I can try, too. I dragged out my RCBS Cast Bullet Manual this afternoon, and it's got lots and lots of loads listed for the 98 gr. bullet, so I've got lots to work with.

Fred

dubber123
11-15-2015, 09:56 AM
dubber123,

I just happened to have sized and lubed 500+ of the RCBS 98 gr. bullets this evening. They're on my list to try. I

've been using the Bair powder measures for the small drops, since I've got several different rotors for them. My Reddings didn't work for beans, but they've all got rifle rotors in them. I haven't tried my Hornady LnL measure yet, since it's mounted on my LnL press and I don't have a shellplate for the .32 H&R. I've been loading these on my Rockchucker for now, until I get a shellplate for the LnL, and find a load that I can live with.

I've only tried Winchester 231 and Bullseye, so far, since they've both worked so well in other calibers. I'll have to try the Green Dot, but I've also got several other powders I can try, too. I dragged out my RCBS Cast Bullet Manual this afternoon, and it's got lots and lots of loads listed for the 98 gr. bullet, so I've got lots to work with.

Fred

I think you will like the RCBS boolit. The GD loads shot very well, but I had great luck with Unique, Herco and Power pistol too. I shot more of the GD loads as I keep a drop permanently set to 3.5 grains as it works well in .38 Spl and 9mm for me. Let us know how your gun does with the RCBS.

Jeff Michel
11-15-2015, 10:21 AM
2.5 Gr. Green Dot in .32 S&W L case and 4 Gr. Herco in the .32 Mag case. Both shot well with the 98 grain RCBS bullet.

Petrol & Powder
11-15-2015, 12:12 PM
The Ruger Single-six and the .32 H&R mag is one of the great gun/cartridge combinations. An acquaintance of mine had one of those back when they first came out. He was a very skilled handloader and I remember being impressed with the accuracy he could obtain out of that setup. The difference in accuracy between the 32 S&W long and the 32 H&R magnum is substantial. I recall shooting both loads out of the same gun and the H&R magnum always made smaller groups by a huge margin. I assume the shorter dwell time of the bullet travelling in the barrel may have been a factor but in any event it was excellent rig.

Enjoy your new gun and don't let that one get away from you.

6thtexas
11-15-2015, 02:41 PM
I had a 6 1/2" Bisley .32 H&R for years and wound up letting it go. Last year I lucked into a 4 5/8" Single Six that had been manufactured in 1985 and was still NIB. I put Wolff Springs in it and have been shooting the snot out of it ever since. Both guns have liked the RCBS 98 gr. SWC over a 8.0 gr. of 2400. Little bitty groups albeit LOUD. I shoot some 32 S&W longs in the SS with the same bullet and a light charge of Bullseye. The 4/58" SS is my favorite "knocking about" revolver. I also have a Buckeye 32/20-32 Mag. convertible. It shoots great too but is awful heavy to lug around compared to the SS.

leadman
11-18-2015, 03:52 AM
In my first Single Six 32 Mag I found that the 32ACP was the most accurate load. This was some factory ammo a friend gave me and I can't recall the brand.

Green Frog
11-18-2015, 10:25 AM
It looks like the NOE HBWC mould group buy is getting ready to make it. If you are interested in this versatile bullet design, and at the reduced, group buy special price, you might want to check out

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,967.0.html

Disclaimer: I have no financial stake in this project other than ordering one myself and wanting to have them delivered! ;)

Dale53
11-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Green Frog;
We will NOT be able to compare our various bullet molds for the .32's this trip. However, we WILL be able to the next time you come up. I should have both of the new molds in hand shortly after I get back and I WILL be running both of them. 20 lbs. each of finished bullets ought to give me some numbers to play with. I will also check and see if my Custom JDJ barrel for the TC is still working (LOL). It's been YEARS since I had that one running.

Let's see - two new bullet molds as well as two lubing systems (Star lube/sizer and Ben's Liquid Lube) and two different bullet sizes (.313" and "as cast" but running through the Lee Factory Crimp die). Lots of fun and information coming, for sure...

It's going to be an interesting winter (early tests will, no doubt, have to be indoors as winter may be upon us shortly). However, fifty feet will tell us if they are going to shoot at 25 and fifty yards (at least that's been my experience). We shall see! And-d-d, of course, if the winter is mild there may be a few days I can venture outdoors to confirm at REAL WORLD distances!

Dale53

Green Frog
11-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Mild Winter? In Ohio? Don't tell me you've been convinced by algore that we're having GlobalWarming? I'm expecting another cold Winter here, so I guess I'll have to get along with the indoor range we'll see this weekend. I'll have two NOEs, one Mihec, and 4 Lyman/Ideal moulds for the 32s, so I can stay busy for a while! Oh yeah, there's also the old S&W mould, too.

Froggie

Dale53
11-18-2015, 05:34 PM
Mild Winter? In Ohio?

Froggie

Froggie;
You're forgetting, it's SOUTHERN, Ohio[smilie=w:

Dale53

Dale53
11-18-2015, 06:03 PM
http://www.rcbs.com/getattachment/Products/Bullet-Casting/Bullet-Moulds/Pistol/Bullet-Mould-32-98-WC-445/rc_dwn_82060.jpg.aspx?maxsidesize=350
This is the RCBS. It is a conventional button nosed wadcutter.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149912&d=1443431377&thumb=1
Here is the Mihec mold. It is a double ended wadcutter. That is also my preference (I have both types in original H&G molds for the .38 Special).

FWIW
Dale53

pietro
11-18-2015, 07:57 PM

They can be converted to the Bisley config fairly easily (money's only green paper, ya know - it's no big deal to be able to get more ;) ) via switching out the hammer, trigger, gripframe & grip panels.

Green Frog
11-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Whats the difference between a Single Six and a Blackhawk?
Just wondering because I have 3 Ruger Blackhawks (buckeye model) in 32/20 + 32hr

Take a look at this picture I took of a friend's S-7 and my BH-8. Size difference is pretty apparent. The S-7 barrel is 1" shorter, but the frame size is also quite noticeably smaller while the grips are the same.

Froggie

Fergie
11-21-2015, 07:52 PM
I was out the other day and finally got a chance to shoot my .327 Blackhawk and out of the Sinlge Seven, new SP101 and the BH, it is definitely my favorite.

I had some full house 327 loads that were hardly noticeable when shooting them from the BH.

Zim
11-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Why do you prefer the blackhawk? Weight, balance, performance or just because you smiled more?
I shoot blackhawks in larger calibers but find them heavy. Even with short barrels. The SP-101 weighs a bit more than the single seven and I'm waiting to try one.
I do like the Smith model 30, but that is a 3" barrel and 32 long.

Larry Gibson
11-22-2015, 11:03 AM
I also found the BH 32 H&R to be a no go.....why carry all the weight for the smaller cartridge when the 357 Magnum was the much better smaller cartridge in the BH was the reason. Went through numerous S&W 32 H&Rs until I found my original run Single Six 32 H&R 20+ years ago. I've found it to be the perfect "trail gun" when hunting. Small. compact, light weight and deadly accurate. All the S&Ws went by the wayside except for one M30 with 3" barrel in 32 S&WL.

Larry Gibson

Mk42gunner
11-22-2015, 06:12 PM
In my mind, the New Model Single Six was always a bit too big as a .22, but it is just about perfect as a .32 H&R Mag. I wish I had bought a few when they first came out and were somewhat affordable. I remember looking at one of the Buckeye Specials for ~$320 and thinking that the gun was too big for the cartridges. Hindsight says I should have bought some and held onto them for 25 years.

My 6½" SSM is the most accurate handgun I have ever owned, even better than my much missed Colt Woodsman.

I did buy a 4 5/8" SSM in about 98% condition a few weeks ago that balances a tiny bit better in my hand. I need to try it out, but my eyesight has deteriorated enough that I probably can't do the gun justice anymore.

I also finally got an RCBS 32-98-SWC mold to use in them.

Robert

Fergie
11-23-2015, 12:00 AM
Why do you prefer the blackhawk? Weight, balance, performance or just because you smiled more?
I shoot blackhawks in larger calibers but find them heavy. Even with short barrels. The SP-101 weighs a bit more than the single seven and I'm waiting to try one.
I do like the Smith model 30, but that is a 3" barrel and 32 long.

The trigger is one. The SP101 is not terrible, but it definitely isn't as smooth as the BH. Granted, this can be addressed with a few hours of work, but that isn't something I have whilst in my current PA program...being able to shoot for a few hours is an escape as it is.

Second, the weight of the gun is a great match for the recoil of the .327s, and with 32 S&W Longs, it feels like I am shooting a 22 short.

Finally, the eight shot capacity is kind of neat, just for kicks.

I dig almost all .32s of this ilk, but had a bad experience with my Single Seven initially, and that soured my opinion of them...that and the shorter cylinder length. The SP doesn't have that issue, and with a set of Hogue grips, it is a great little pistol. After shooting both though, the BH is my preference.

Fergie
11-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Oh, and the fact that the BH cost me less than the SP did....that helped a lot :D.

Zim
11-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Well, if it cost less, I can appreciate that. Thanks for the answer. I'll most likely stick with my 32 mag single six and wait for a SP-101 to come my way.

Cheers!

Fergie
11-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Was cleaning the pistols the other day, and lined them up for a comparison.

Redhawk .44 Magnum, Blackhawk in .327 FM, and the new SP in .327 FM as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/bergferg/IMG_1231_zpsgofw4h9t.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bergferg/media/IMG_1231_zpsgofw4h9t.jpg.html)

Just for the heck of it.

Pumpkinheaver
11-27-2015, 07:44 PM
I have a couple Ruger single sixes in .32 mag. I've thought about selling them as I don't really shoot them much but I can't bring myself to do so.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w170/pumpkinheaver/Hunting/009Small-1.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/pumpkinheaver/media/Hunting/009Small-1.jpg.html)

Markbo
11-27-2015, 08:29 PM
Fergus you know Alan Harton could build you a Bearcat in .327 to round out that nice group! ;)