PDA

View Full Version : worn or loose threaded peep holes

DeadWoodDan
11-11-2015, 09:13 PM
I have a couple projects I want to finish and get shooting, both have similar issues. One is an older Marlin waffle top and other is a Stevens 325, both 30-30. Both were purchased with peep sights and the screws that fasten them on are extremely loose. Could have been stripped at one time and previous owner re-tapped? I purchased new fasteners thinking that may help one goes in and is like a loose tooth, the other rifle its like the first thread or two is oversize and only tightness on last couple threads.

Any suggestions on how to fix? I hate to epoxy/ or use the black lock tight in previous thread....

thanks
Kevin

country gent
11-11-2015, 09:41 PM
holes have probably been stripped or threads pulled by overzealous tightening. Oned stripped or pulled the fix is hard as metal has been moved or removed. Sometimes new screws will help. Sometimes new screws can be turned up with oversized threads. Dont go over board on this as the major dia is still the same. The most secure fix is to drill out to bigger size if possible tap fine or extra fine and use a good tough bolt or screw thread in with locktite and let cure. cut off proud finish close and peen tight into threads then finish to match surface. You now can redrill and tap on location and have new solid threads to work with. Done right the inserts dont show and are very solid. The light peening will help expand the screw into the threads and fill in the seam around the top.

pietro
11-12-2015, 11:49 AM

I would de-grease all the receiver & screw threads & apply a release agent ( like paste wax or a light coat of oil) to the screw threads only - before putting a small drop of epoxy into each screw hole thread prior to re-installing the screws with the sight base(s) clamped tightly to the receiver sidewall.(I would pull the bolt first, in case a bit of epoxy gets into the bolt raceway)

paul h
11-12-2015, 02:25 PM
I would drill and tap for the next size larger screw. If the existing screws are #6, then go to #8. You'll also have to drill out the sights and counterbore for the larger screws but it IMHO it's the best fix for the job.

MtGun44
11-14-2015, 03:24 AM
You can try red locktite, it is "permanent", but can be removed with a bit of heat, nothing
to hurt metal, but must be removed from wood to do it.

If red locktite won't hold, then I agree on moving up one size (two #'s on screw sizes) like
paul h says above.

Ballistics in Scotland
11-14-2015, 07:54 AM
I have a couple projects I want to finish and get shooting, both have similar issues. One is an older Marlin waffle top and other is a Stevens 325, both 30-30. Both were purchased with peep sights and the screws that fasten them on are extremely loose. Could have been stripped at one time and previous owner re-tapped? I purchased new fasteners thinking that may help one goes in and is like a loose tooth, the other rifle its like the first thread or two is oversize and only tightness on last couple threads.

Any suggestions on how to fix? I hate to epoxy/ or use the black lock tight in previous thread....

thanks
Kevin

Trying with new screws has established that the holes are damaged, but you were right to try since it could have been only the screws that were stripped. This is particularly common, and a far better situation to get into, in a rifle for which the receiver is very hard.

I have a slightly oversized tap and screws to replace the industry standard 6-48 without looking noticeably larger. I think I bought them from Brownells long ago, and they appear not to catalogue them any more, but perhaps someone else does.

Helicoil inserts, little coils of specially shaped wire which line a hole made with the helicoil tap, are another possibility. But I think they are only made in standard Unified and possibly metric sizes.

William Yanda
11-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Google says Heli-coil are available as small as 2-56, several lengths in 4-40. I didn't check farther. I have had success with fine steel wool and loc-tite in a bolt which supported a brake caliper. I suspect a similar solution would be several times less expensive than a proper one such as have been suggested and it could be tried without being irreversible. The would be out of sight, but would knowing about it bother you?
Good luck.
Regards.
Bill

Goatwhiskers
11-24-2015, 08:26 PM
Got in on this one kinda late. Loctite makes a thread repair product, some sort of epoxy, that works wonders and is quite strong. You put it in the hole and thread the screw into the hole but do not tighten--screw has been coated with release agent. As the stuff hardens you move the screw a little to be sure it doesn't stick, then allow to cure. Seems to be quite strong, I first used it to repair the frame hole for the lifter screw in a Marlin 94, worked quite well. Have since used it to repair other items. Just a thought. GW

country gent
11-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Most good tool supply house sell taps standard size, +.005 and +.010 these are not really for larger screws but in parts that are heat treated to give a threded hole that if warps a little is still useable with out trying to retap or clean up. We had heli coils at work in most sizes and if possible went with the bolt and new hole process. helicoil are noted for walking in when tightened in a thru hole or coming out when screw is removed.