PDA

View Full Version : Mold Change

smokemjoe
04-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I have a D.C. 225462 mold that cast a 22 bullet at 63 grs. and is .667 Long, My S.C. same Number cast it at 53 grs. and .623 long., When and why was a change made and the number not changed, Thanks- Joe

Bent Ramrod
04-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Depending on the time period, the eye and skill of the toolmaker, the concern of the inspector and the extent and expertise with which the cherry was sharpened, the "same" design could go through some fairly significant changes. You will see a given number with square or round grease grooves, a semiconoidal or an ogival nose and a number of more subtle changes. I think if you search under Moulds--Maintenance and Design" you'll find differences like you are describing in Ideals 225438 and 429421.

monadnock#5
04-12-2008, 02:49 PM
If you look in the Castpics section, Lyman moulds, and look up the 358242, you'll find two grain weights listed, 91 and 121 grains. I have both. One is a one lube groove design, the other has two lube grooves. Weird. At least they're both round noses. Why they used the same number for both is a question I've been wanting to ask. Maybe Floodgate will know.

It only goes to show you can't assume anything when buying a Lyman product.

rmb721
04-12-2008, 03:07 PM
In the 46th edition of Lyman's Reloading Handbook, there are mould reference tables starting on page 456 that show quite a few moulds made in different weights. These tables also show the top punches needed for each mould.

floodgate
04-12-2008, 03:54 PM
monadnock:

Happy to oblige! The reason for the different Lyman weights with the same number (for base-pour bullets at least) is that (a) the last three numbers are considered by Lyman (and Ideal before them) as the identifier for the cherry, and (b) with a cherry-cut mould different weights can be had by inserting the cherry to differerent depths in the blocks as they are milled out. In the Ideal and early Lyman days they would custom cut base-pour moulds to any desired depth (short of full depth) on special order, and several of the lighter weights proved so popular they became listed as standard, like the ones cited.

floodgate

monadnock#5
04-12-2008, 08:03 PM
That certainly does answer my question! Thank you Floodgate.