PDA

View Full Version : My TC Impact is ready for deer season

218bee
11-11-2015, 02:31 PM
153089So I decided to try muzzleloading for the first time and bought a TC Impact on sale for $219 and thought I'd give it a try.
Had a lot of fun learning about muzzleloading and the rifle itself over the last two months.I enjoyed all the experimentation of using different bullets, sabots, powder charges etc.. I probably sent 100 different combinations down range during this time. I've only been using Goex 2F so far, have not tried another BP or any substitute. Played with cast boolits I use in my 45/70, 44 Special and 45 Colt also tried some store bought bullet sabots and some jacketed pistol bullets I had on hand. Lots of fun!
Well, since deer season in Illinois is a week away I figured time to stop experimenting and settle on a load.
What I decided upon is shown in the picture.
95gr Goex 2F, 44cal Harvester Crush Rib, Hornady 44cal .430 265gr FP Interlock and a CCI 209 primer.
I fired 2 shots at 100yds..1st from clean barrel cut xring, second shot without cleaning about an inch above it at 1 o'clock
Then I totally cleaned as if I was putting gun away and set gun aside for 1/2 hour.
Moved target to 50yds and first shot slightly above my second shot from 100yds, then without any cleaning last shot the high one at 12 o'clock.
I'm pleased with results and feel confident and ready to hunt with it. Hope I get a chance for some venison.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions here.

As requested by Pyro an Black
I was lucky enough to get a shot at a young buck to try my muzzleloader on a whitetail and test performance.
I am using 95gr Goex 2F with 44cal Hornady Interlock 265gr FlatPoint and harvester crush rib sabot and CCI 209 primer.
Shot a 2yr old 7 point at 80yds. Hit him behind shoulder just barely touched one rib on entrance..didnt break rib just took small chip out..destroyed both lungs..bullet exited between ribs on off side leaving a quarter sized hole..judging by hole bullet either tumbled or mushroomed..I would say mushroomed as exit hole fairly round.
I took a pic (not great) after I skinned it and taped bullet next to hole for comparison.

nagantguy
11-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Welcome to the smoke pole bonanza, it's truly the golden age! You owe it to yourself to try the 320 lee reals, we have 3 front stuffers shooting the lights out with that boolit.

Pyro&Black
11-11-2015, 08:09 PM
I have read a few reviews on this 265gr FP Interlock saying the bullet does not expand. Hope it works well for you. Should you harvest this hunting season, reopen this thread and give us a report.

You bought yourself a nice shooter in that T/C Impact. It was my 2nd choice when I purchased my new Knight Vision for $199 last December.

218bee
11-11-2015, 09:57 PM
If I do get lucky enough to take a shot at one I will surely post a report on how bullet performs.
I had these left over from a 444 Marlin I sold they shot well in that also, but never used on any game.
I figure even if it doesn't expand and shoots thru, it ought to drop any deer I hit with it. I'm confident on being able to place it in the right spot, We'll see.

Lloyd Smale
11-12-2015, 04:57 PM
I got an impact for this year too. It was given to me by tc to replace my *** omega. Mines a stainless camo gun and the last 5 I shot with 110 grains of blackhorn and one of those tipped hornady 250s went into 1 1/4 inch at a 100 yards with over 30 rounds and no cleaning before I shot that group.

218bee
11-23-2015, 06:00 PM
154039 OK heres pic of exit hole from Hornady 265gr 44cal Interlock exit hole
Shot at 80yds using 95gr Goex 2F
Looks like bullet expanded...I had deer hanging so taped bullet next to hole for comparison
barely clipped rib on entrance..destroyed lungs and exited between ribs on off side
I'm thinking there was expansion....if not it did job...deer ran 30yds and toppled