PDA

View Full Version : A lost thread

hutch18414
11-11-2015, 12:24 PM
:? I read a thread where it gave how much of various sweeteners to add to a 20lb Lee pot. I am out of the pewter I had but have some lino and 50/50 solder as well as some lead free. If anyone could post a link to that thread I would really appreciate it. I think it was a post by runfiverun but not sure anymore. TIA, Jack

lightman
11-11-2015, 01:13 PM
There is an alloy calculator in the sticky near the top of this page.

hutch18414
11-11-2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks. I am unsure of just how much my pot actually holds so I was trying to find that thread again for reference. Just looked up the pot on Lee's website and they said it weighed 4.45 lbs so maybe I will just set the full pot on my postal scale. Cold of course, I ain't taking a chance with it hot.

RogerDat
11-13-2015, 06:41 PM
Since alloy calculator works from weight you could just weigh the pot on the scale and subtract as you suggest. You can then add by weight the other ingredients. Sounds like you talking about tin. As an aid to mold fill out having the tin anywhere between 1 and 2 percent will get the job done. Lot of margin of error. Get your weights, add amount of alloy that works out to be on the low side of what you want. Add a bit at a time until it casts well Trying to make some Lyman #2 alloy you might want to be a bit more precise but for WW's to revolver ammo the modest amount of variation in alloy would have to make more difference than the ability of the shooter to be consistent.

hutch18414
11-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I weighed the pot full came out to 19.8 lbs. so the 15 lb. number is accurate. Was thinking about adding some lino to a pot but can not get a download of the alloy calculators to work. My computer illiteracy showing again.

hutch18414
11-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Used my wifes computer today and down loaded the alloy calculator. Runs like a top on hers.