PDA

View Full Version : please help me identify H&G molds

learner
04-11-2008, 08:55 PM
I recently quite by accident found two H&G molds tucked away in my favorite gun shop. One was a 6 cavity H&G #39GC in .358 with handles and the other is a 4 cavity H&G #34 in .452 again with handles. These are never used olds that apparently came from an estate that the dealer wanted to get rid of. I grabbed them but would like to know what the bullet weight of each is AND what some of the best loadings for each have been. Thanks to anyone who can help me with this. My next question is I have never cast from a 6 cavity mold, does it take forever to bring to heat on top of furnace or do you cast bad ones until the mold heats that way. Have always used Lyman two cavity molds in the past.
:castmine:

xr650
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
A wealth of info here
http://hgmould.gunloads.com/casting/hgmoldchart.htm

Congrats on the moulds.
Welcome to the forum.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi, What you have with #34 is a 230 grain round nose which duplicates the 45 ACP round ball G.I. boolit. The #39 is a 158 grain round nose that is used in the 38 special or .357 Mag. I've got both, load and shoot them regularly. They do well. H & G 4 cavs can crank out a lot of boolits between breakfast and lunch when you've got the melt, temp and rythm right. Of course they're heavier than 2 cavs, but not too bad. The 6 cavitity version can really drive production numbers way up, but there are a couple of things that take a little getting used to. The handles open from the rear to drop the castings and the weight is much more noticeable, particularly over the length of a casting session. As for general heat management, bigger blocks will take more time to come up to casting temp. I preheat my molds and that helps to get things going. As with any other molds you don't want to cast too fast or run the pot too hot and have to deal with overheating and its consequences. You've got two really good molds there and they should do a great job and with good care, and last you a lifetime. LLS

mstarling
04-12-2008, 06:19 PM
H&G made lovely molds. Their 6 gangers are heavy but work very, very well. I have a couple of fours and a six from original production. It is helpful to have something like the Lyman mold guide to support the mold under a bottom pour furnace.

I usually put the mold on top of the pot when it is heating. Then I cast until the mold is up to temperature. I usually alternate two molds to help manage the temperature of the molds.

BTW I bought my 6 ganger in 1971 or 1972. Is still in use and is still making beautiful bullets. H&G was acquired by Ballisti-Cast who still makes their designs. Their quality is very high.